E39 vs. E60: Let the Bimmer games begin

Started by the Teuton, May 05, 2008, 10:37:13 PM

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 06, 2008, 09:47:55 PM
I have driven an E46, and it has similar steering to the E39, if not exactly the same. The E60's steering is lighter, but hardly any number.

The E46's steering is pretty heavy, at least compared to the newer BMWs.  The E36 feels downright sporty.  The E90 is a fair amount lighter than either, and the E60 feels almost weightless by comparison. 

As for the E65, it has no more feeling at regular speeds than your average full-sized landyacht.  It's pretty light.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

omicron

Simply put, the E39 5-series is one of my favourite cars but the E60 is not.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Submariner

Yes, I have to troll with Wimmer here.  the W-211 is the way to go.  :ohyeah:

Back on topic.  A while back I was looking between a 6-speed 5er and my 7.  It was an incredibly tough decision.  Both drove well and were just as comfortable.  I would have gone with the 5er, but I couldn't find a low mileage, well maintained 6-speed.  The price difference between the auto 5 and 7 wasn't too great, so I went with the 7.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

cawimmer430

Quote from: Submariner on May 07, 2008, 08:45:48 AM

Benz fo life homie!  :rockon:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Submariner on May 07, 2008, 08:45:48 AM

Back on topic.  A while back I was looking between a 6-speed 5er and my 7.  It was an incredibly tough decision.  Both drove well and were just as comfortable.  I would have gone with the 5er, but I couldn't find a low mileage, well maintained 6-speed.  The price difference between the auto 5 and 7 wasn't too great, so I went with the 7.
Should have gone with the 5

Submariner

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 07, 2008, 12:13:18 PM
Should have gone with the 5

The 7 is a better long haul cruiser, and I prefer it's looks (and interior room) to the 5.

ChrisV

Quote from: Submariner on May 07, 2008, 01:14:07 PM
The 7 is a better long haul cruiser, and I prefer it's looks (and interior room) to the 5.

Same here. Interiorwise, they are pretty much identical in looks (they use the same instrument cluster, for example), but the 7 has more room, which is nice when I'm the one carrying the passengers around. And I prefer the looks of the E38 to the E39. For the money, it was the better choice for me.

And yes, for those of us that are used to sports cars and race cars, rather than cruising to the nearest donut shop, feedback is important. I like the more immediate connection between man and machine of the older siblings. To be able to get that in a full size luxury/sport sedan is a distinct benefit.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

850CSi

Quote from: the Teuton on May 06, 2008, 09:50:58 PM
The E46's steering is pretty heavy, at least compared to the newer BMWs.  The E36 feels downright sporty.  The E90 is a fair amount lighter than either, and the E60 feels almost weightless by comparison. 

As for the E65, it has no more feeling at regular speeds than your average full-sized landyacht.  It's pretty light.

It's been a while since I drove an E39, but that's not what I remember...

e39>e60

rohan

Quote from: 850CSi on May 07, 2008, 01:39:52 PM
e39>e60
If you like old looking cars with less power not as good ride and less handling then yah it's >e60
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

By the way I got 30.1 going to Charlevoix the last time I went and back with the 4.4 which I thought was pretty good but I didin't go over 75 most of the way and feathered the pedal going up and down hills.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Submariner

Quote from: rohan on May 07, 2008, 04:09:08 PM
If you like old looking cars with less power not as good ride and less handling then yah it's >e60

Or if you like better looking cars with a similar ride/handling compromise and a more connected driving experience than yeah it's >e60. 

The argument can be made either way.

rohan

Better looking aint what it is- it looks fuddyduddy and old.  Not saying the new one couldn't stand to be loosened up a little but at least it don't look like a sad old man.  And they may be similar in handling but their not even close in ride and the e60 handles better.  It's jutst that the sad old frumpy man is smaller and naturally more nimble in some ways but the suspension on the e60 is superior.

~Chief Seattle

CALL_911

Quote from: rohan on May 07, 2008, 04:22:31 PM
Better looking aint what it is- it looks fuddyduddy and old.  Not saying the new one couldn't stand to be loosened up a little but at least it don't look like a sad old man.  And they may be similar in handling but their not even close in ride and the e60 handles better.  It's jutst that the sad old frumpy man is smaller and naturally more nimble in some ways but the suspension on the e60 is superior.

I'm assuming you have no experience whatsoever with an E39.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

mrs hounddog

The newer cars are much nicer looking overall but they lack real class in their interior design.  I don't have much knowledge about the driving and handeling but I know that most of the professional women I know would prefer the new car to the older style.
"Nothing matter so much as blood.  Everyone else are just strangers."
-Gene Hackman in Wyatt Earp.

ChrisV

Quote from: mrs hounddog on May 08, 2008, 03:06:38 AM
I don't have much knowledge about the driving and handeling but I know that most of the professional women I know would prefer the new car to the older style.

That's because new car = status. That's why they depreciate so fast. There's no status in onwing last year's model (or last year's fashions). Most professional women don't see cars as anything but status symbols and fashion accessories, and could care less which one actually WORKS better.  :rolleyes:

I prefer the looks of mine to the newer car, and the dynamics of mine to the newer car. I actually drive my cars and how they drive is important. My sense of fashion with cars is what I've done with the car, not how big a check I've written.

L. ed foote

Quote from: ChrisV on May 08, 2008, 06:52:06 AMMost professional women don't see cars as anything but status symbols and fashion accessories, and could care less which one actually WORKS better.  :rolleyes:

I would actually say most women see a car that way...  Come to think of it, I could probably could extend that to "most people." :lol:

As for me, I really like the styling of the E34, and an E28 holds a special place in my heart.  I can appreciate an E39, especially since you seem to be able to find more of them with a manual transmission (or it could just be me)
Member, Self Preservation Society

Raza

Quote from: rohan on May 07, 2008, 04:09:08 PM

You sound a bit defensive, Randy. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hounddog

Quote from: ChrisV on May 08, 2008, 06:52:06 AM
That's because new car = status. That's why they depreciate so fast. There's no status in onwing last year's model (or last year's fashions). Most professional women don't see cars as anything but status symbols and fashion accessories, and could care less which one actually WORKS better.  :rolleyes:

I prefer the looks of mine to the newer car, and the dynamics of mine to the newer car. I actually drive my cars and how they drive is important. My sense of fashion with cars is what I've done with the car, not how big a check I've written.
Wow, can you possibly be anymore condescending and chauvenistic?  It just so happens Kat used to be an engineering team manager at GM, and knows a good deal about how they work.  She has also worked as an engineer at Honda and at an areospace company.  She even did a short stint at Ford.

She is not here right now to ask, but I believe she meant that she has not had any formal hands on training when it comes to driving and handling.  And that most of her professional friends are in the auto industry.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

the Teuton

After a little more time between the wheel of each car, I have come to the consensus that if I were a realtor or something where I only had one or two people in the car at a time, I'd probably get an E39, but if I had to constantly haul around four or five people, the E60 makes much more sense between the two. 

Unfortunately, the E60 lacks a fair amount of the character that the E39 had.  I just found an E34 with cloth seats and a 5-speed manual that's calling my name, though, and it's sitting around, abandoned, at the parking lot where I work.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sportyaccordy

Quote from: the Teuton on May 08, 2008, 06:00:07 PM
After a little more time between the wheel of each car, I have come to the consensus that if I were a realtor or something where I only had one or two people in the car at a time, I'd probably get an E39, but if I had to constantly haul around four or five people, the E60 makes much more sense between the two. 

Unfortunately, the E60 lacks a fair amount of the character that the E39 had.  I just found an E34 with cloth seats and a 5-speed manual that's calling my name, though, and it's sitting around, abandoned, at the parking lot where I work.
Is the E34 a 535i? Buy it!!!

ChrisV

Quote from: hounddog on May 08, 2008, 05:41:28 PM
Wow, can you possibly be anymore condescending and chauvenistic?

Yeah, I could be more condescending. SHE is the one who said, and I QUOTE "I don't have much knowledge about the driving and handeling" but then makes a value call that the newer one would be the one most professional women pick. NOT "automotive professionals" in general, mind you.

That means that regardless of how YOU took it, I was SPOT ON in saying that they don't CARE how they work (she admits she doesn't even KNOW) when making a decision. Since those of us that have dealt with both the older and newer ALL say the driving dynamics of the older version are better, and she responds to that with essentially, "I don't know but I'd take the newer one," then the reason she'd take the newer one is NOT driving dynamics but status, because that's what the newer one does better.

My opening statement, about luxury cars devaluing, wasn't condescending at all. It was a fact. Luxury cars DO devalue fast because luxury cars are status symbols. Always have been. And last year's model is like last year's fashions. You CAN get away with the last model year or two, so long as the body style hasn't changed and the casual observer could still think of it as a new model.

QuoteIt jutst so happens Kat used to be an engineering team manager at GM, and knows a good deal about how they work.  She has also worked as an engineer at Honda and at an areospace company.  She even did a short stint at Ford.

And I've been modifying and racing cars for 30 years, as well as a stint as an SCCA driving instructor. I've owned over a hundred cars, and driven hundreds more on the track. I have a bit of experience in driving and handling. I've also done some aerospace engineering, doing the initial work for Millennium Airship.

QuoteShe is not here right now to ask, but I believe she meant that she has not had any formal hands on training when it comes to driving and handling.  And that most of her professional friends are in the auto industry.

I have, and she discounted my experience when making her statement. She essentially said, "I don't know about driving and handling, but I don't care about YOUR experience and I and other professional women will still go with the newer one." From my perspective, that means how the car works is not important to her OR "professional women" She did make it clear that it was WOMEN she was talking about, too. Separate from professional MEN. As though she was saying professional women look at it differently. How differently? According to her, they want newer, regardless of how the cars work.  I'm not condescending. She's the one that separated out women that way.

the Teuton

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 09, 2008, 05:10:11 AM
Is the E34 a 535i? Buy it!!!

It's a 525i, but I really, really want it.  It was abandoned, so my manager is trying to get a salvage title for it or something like that.  How much is dealer trade-in value on something like that?  That's how much he'd sell it for.

ChrisV

On a lighter note, something that Randy should remember. I'm not saying (and I don't think anyone is saying) the E60 is a bad car. In fact, compared to 90+% of the cars on the road, it's a superior choice. Fast, comfortable, and even though the styling was and is controversial, it's a striking car in person. I like the E60.

It's just that, like  the E65 7 series, it's lost something compared to its immediate predecessors that made BMWs the world's premier sport sedans. In going after Mercedes and Lexus in the luxury car market, they've gotten more comfortable, but more complex, softer and a bit more numb to drive. It would be hyperbole to say that they've gone having the driver be an integral part of the machine to the driver being a passenger with a steering wheel, but that's the direction they headed this go around. feedback, driving dynamics, and the feeeling of bing part of the machine was the appeal of BMWs over the years, since they reinvented themselves with the 1602 and 2002 (and I've been driving BMWs off and on since the days of the 2002). And, for the most part, over the years they have gotten better and better at it. But this last generation, they've been going backwards in search of a larger audience, an audience that really just wants to be coddled in luxury at the expense of precision and driver involvement.

Again, the E60 is not a bad car by any means. It's just that it could have been so much more. And a lot of what it could have been is still present in the E39.

L. ed foote

Quote from: ChrisV on May 09, 2008, 07:38:07 AMAgain, the E60 is not a bad car by any means. It's just that it could have been so much more. And a lot of what it could have been is still present in the E39.

Spot on
Member, Self Preservation Society

Vinsanity

No doubt would I take the E60 over the E39 if I had the money.

For better or for worse, the E60 was designed around what people who buy $50k+ cars want in a 4-door sedan. It's as simple as that.

E39 is nice, though, and getting pretty cheap, what with the E60 being the car to have.

hotrodalex

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 09, 2008, 11:14:30 AM
No doubt would I take the E60 over the E39 if I had the money.

For better or for worse, the E60 was designed around what people who buy $50k+ cars want in a 4-door sedan. It's as simple as that.

E39 is nice, though, and getting pretty cheap, what with the E60 being the car to have.

And the E39 was designed around what people want in a steak dinner?

What the hell does that mean?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on May 10, 2008, 10:33:03 AM
And the E39 was designed around what people want in a steak dinner?

What the hell does that mean?

let me rephrase: the E60 is more of what people want in a $50k+ sedan

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 10, 2008, 11:59:26 AM
let me rephrase: the E60 is more of what people want in a $50k+ sedan

So you want all cars to be dictated by the masses?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i