Review: 1995ish Camry coupe

Started by the Teuton, May 08, 2008, 10:15:50 PM

the Teuton

At my job, I get to drive the pinnacle of mainstream automobiledom:  the BMW.  But today, a co-worker asked me to bring his car over to the main lot, so that let me have a good taste of what many enthusiasts consider the Anti-Christ of enthusiast cars:  The Toyota Camry.

My tester, to be precise, was probably a 1995 coupe 5-speed with rust around the rear fenders and 122,000 miles on the odometer.  It would not pass a PA inspection, but luckily, my co-worker hails from Northeast Ohio, too, so that really isn't a problem.

So here's the nitty gritty:  It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Let me explain, the steering was numb and lifeless, but I expected that.  An anorexic Olsen twin could muster the strength to steer this car where it would need to go; it's that over-boosted.  But the steering was remarkably (for a Camry) predictable.  On this particular car, the clutch was slipping pretty badly, so I had to let out quite a bit for it to catch, but otherwise, the car, once again, was predictable.  Now, here's the surprising part:  With the exception of the long throws and reverse being impossible to find, the shifter wasn't all that bad.  In fact, it was downright easy and it could almost be considered fun.  Scary, I know.

With a tiny-ass four banger, it could rev like crazy, but the car still felt decently torquey for what it was.  The seat comfortably fit my American-sized ass, the build quality still was holding up for a car that had the piss beaten out of it, and it felt remarkably competent in street traffic.  It was soft, but I never pushed it in a corner.  I've done it before, and it made me wish I had a living will, so I decided against it this time around.  The car surprised me as it really is, after all these years, the ultimate driving appliance.

But the best part about this car, all things told, was watching the managers' faces as I parked it on the lot right in front of a new 7 Series and several other $50K plus machines.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CJ

That's the way I feel about our Camry.  Steering is low on feedback, high on boost, but it's predictable. 

MaxPower

Only 122k miles? That's low mileage for a '95.  Our '92 sedan has 255k and its still going strong.

the Teuton

Quote from: MaxPower on May 09, 2008, 04:22:07 PM
Only 122k miles? That's low mileage for a '95.  Our '92 sedan has 255k and its still going strong.

I remember 122k.  The car looked like it had been through twice that much, though.

Quote from: Payman on May 09, 2008, 04:59:02 PM
Trep?

You wish.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

The pinnacle of mainstream automobiles? 

You're a whole new troll now.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on May 09, 2008, 09:35:31 PM
The pinnacle of mainstream automobiles? 

You're a whole new troll now.

It sells 400k + a year.  Mind you, the Accord and Taurus both outsold it in 1995, IIRC, but given the Camry's current success, I can't see how any other mainstream midsized sedan could be a better option for someone needing reliable but boring transportation.  No other car in its class with the exception of the Accord has mastered the formula.

heelntoe

Quote from: the Teuton on May 10, 2008, 12:28:00 AM
It sells 400k + a year.  Mind you, the Accord and Taurus both outsold it in 1995, IIRC, but given the Camry's current success, I can't see how any other mainstream midsized sedan could be a better option for someone needing reliable but boring transportation.  No other car in its class with the exception of the Accord has mastered the formula.
Psst... he means BMW...
@heelntoe

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on May 10, 2008, 12:28:00 AM

Just because the Camry provides boring but (generally) reliable transportation doesn't mean that nothing else does. There are plenty of other comfortable and reliable cars that are also better deals, and I don't mean the Accord.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on May 10, 2008, 05:17:43 AM
Just because the Camry provides boring but (generally) reliable transportation doesn't mean that nothing else does. There are plenty of other comfortable and reliable cars that are also better deals, and I don't mean the Accord.

Don't get me wrong, I really don't like the Camry, but there are few other cars that can pull off generic, boring, comfortable, and completely utilitarian as well as the Camry.

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on May 11, 2008, 12:26:59 PM
Don't get me wrong, I really don't like the Camry, but there are few other cars that can pull off generic, boring, comfortable, and completely utilitarian as well as the Camry.

Sure there are. Sonata and Optima would be the obvious ones for that, but the Taurus also meets it quite well.

The Camry is only incrementally better in any way than its better competitors, and worse in others. The exception is the V6's performance, but that's not a factor in the criteria you spelled out.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on May 11, 2008, 12:34:50 PM
Sure there are. Sonata and Optima would be the obvious ones for that, but the Taurus also meets it quite well.

The Camry is only incrementally better in any way than its better competitors, and worse in others. The exception is the V6's performance, but that's not a factor in the criteria you spelled out.

Is the Kiundai Sonoptima really that reliable?

ifcar

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on May 11, 2008, 12:38:54 PM
Is the Camry?

I won't speak about the V6 versions, but the 4 bangers have generally been very reliable.

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on May 11, 2008, 12:42:34 PM
I won't speak about the V6 versions, but the 4 bangers have generally been very reliable.

But less so than the Optima and Sonata, according to Consumer Reports.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on May 11, 2008, 12:43:56 PM
But less so than the Optima and Sonata, according to Consumer Reports.

I didn't know that.

ifcar

But even if it were the other way around, neither is likely to leave you stranded. Reliability differences are slight among most of today's cars.

The Camry is the best-known choice for providing a quiet (in every sense of the word) driving and ownership experience, but that doesn't mean that it's necessarily the best. A case could certainly be made for it, but it's not as if it's in a class by itself.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on May 11, 2008, 12:52:11 PM
But even if it were the other way around, neither is likely to leave you stranded. Reliability differences are slight among most of today's cars.

The Camry is the best-known choice for providing a quiet (in every sense of the word) driving and ownership experience, but that doesn't mean that it's necessarily the best. A case could certainly be made for it, but it's not as if it's in a class by itself.

I know.  I'd take an Accord over one, and the GM W Body cars aren't particularly bad, either, but their back seats suck.

Secret Chimp

My Accord feels like a bus after driving my Miata daily. I get steering feedback pulling in to a parking space with the latter :P
I've driven a previous-generation Camry, and holy god it's like driving a chair. A Windstar van of a similar vintage felt more "with me" than that thing.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 11, 2008, 11:24:12 PM
My Accord feels like a bus after driving my Miata daily. I get steering feedback pulling in to a parking space with the latter :P
I've driven a previous-generation Camry, and holy god it's like driving a chair. A Windstar van of a similar vintage felt more "with me" than that thing.

If we're being honest about it, we have to admit that most people probably don't care to get constant feedback about the texture of the asphalt under their tires. They want, to a certain extent, that feeling of sitting in a chair.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 12, 2008, 12:00:18 AM
If we're being honest about it, we have to admit that most people probably don't care to get constant feedback about the texture of the asphalt under their tires. They want, to a certain extent, that feeling of sitting in a chair.

This recalls me a story of a couple of old people buying a BMW 5-series and taking it back because something was "wrong" with the steering (what we all consider "right").

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 12, 2008, 12:00:18 AM

You mean a soft fluffy couch.  I'm sure a lot of those same drivers prefer a bench seat too.