GTPC 347

Started by sandertheshark, May 13, 2008, 09:06:12 PM

sandertheshark

If this isn't obvious, it will be difficult, I think.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

sandertheshark

Quote from: Psilos on May 13, 2008, 10:17:41 PM
EuroDisney? :lol:

No, but it is faux-European architecture.

sandertheshark

I'm going to be out for the next week - does anybody want to take this for me?

AutobahnSHO

I'm guessing it's Stateside then..

Although the building shows definite south/west Germany influence.
Will

Byteme

Quote from: sandertheshark on May 13, 2008, 09:06:12 PM

If this isn't obvious, it will be difficult, I think.

It took me a while to recognize it.  It didn't look that good the last time I saw it in person.

I actually took a train from there in August 1970 to go to navy Boot Cmp at Great Lakes Naval Training Center.  That's the St. Louis Union Station, now a hotel, shopping and entertainment complex.

Rupert

Ah, the clock tower should have been a hint...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

sandertheshark

Quote from: Byteme on May 21, 2008, 10:53:51 AM
It took me a while to recognize it.  It didn't look that good the last time I saw it in person.

I actually took a train from there in August 1970 to go to navy Boot Cmp at Great Lakes Naval Training Center.  That's the St. Louis Union Station, now a hotel, shopping and entertainment complex.

That's the place.  Now known as the Hyatt Regency St. Louis.

Byteme

Quote from: sandertheshark on May 24, 2008, 01:04:12 PM
That's the place.  Now known as the Hyatt Regency St. Louis.

We are going to be camping at Montauk State Park this summer and taking a day trip from there to St. Louis.  A stop there is on the agenda.

That station was virtually deserted, dark, dingy, dusty dump in 1970.  I'm glad to see they saved it.   

I'll post the next challenge tonight.

sandertheshark

Quote from: Byteme on May 27, 2008, 07:06:33 AM
We are going to be camping at Montauk State Park this summer and taking a day trip from there to St. Louis.  A stop there is on the agenda.

That station was virtually deserted, dark, dingy, dusty dump in 1970.  I'm glad to see they saved it.   

I'll post the next challenge tonight.

Union Station closed in 1977.  In 1979 it was bought for $5.5 mil and restored and converted into the hotel for $150 mil over six years - I believe the largest reuse restoration project in history at that time.  As you can see from the above picture, the results are excellent.

The terminal itself got converted into a beautiful lobby / lounge / great hall. 

When you're coming into town on the I-44, if you're hitting heavy traffic, try dropping down to the 366 (Watson) - or if that's stuck, try the 30 (Gravois) a few blocks further south.

And if you're staying in the STL for dinner, I recommend Jake's Steaks on 2nd St. in Laclede's Landing, just north of the Gateway Arch.

Byteme

Quote from: sandertheshark on May 27, 2008, 05:00:52 PM
Union Station closed in 1977.  In 1979 it was bought for $5.5 mil and restored and converted into the hotel for $150 mil over six years - I believe the largest reuse restoration project in history at that time.  As you can see from the above picture, the results are excellent.

The terminal itself got converted into a beautiful lobby / lounge / great hall. 

I haven't thought of Gravois in years.   :lol:  Thanks for the tips. 

Since we are camping we may be a bit scruffy for Jakes, we'll see.  As long as I can make it by Ted Drew's I'll be happy.

When you're coming into town on the I-44, if you're hitting heavy traffic, try dropping down to the 366 (Watson) - or if that's stuck, try the 30 (Gravois) a few blocks further south.

And if you're staying in the STL for dinner, I recommend Jake's Steaks on 2nd St. in Laclede's Landing, just north of the Gateway Arch.

I haven't thought of Gravois in years.   :lol:  My Aunt used to live off of Baptist Church Road across from Grants Farm.  Thanks for the Tips. 

Since we are camping we may be a bit scruffy for Jakes, we'll see.  As long as I can make it by Ted Drew's I'll be happy.