Could this be the new G?

Started by Submariner, July 20, 2005, 02:11:52 PM

R33 GT-R

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

BMWDave

Do you want to get a 110 or 90?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

QuoteDo you want to get a 110 or 90?
I'd get a 90.

GMPenguin

The body looks like something from Infiniti, and the front looks like a SportVan.

TBR

Now I want a Defender ;). Dave, what kind of power did they have?

BMWDave

QuoteNow I want a Defender ;). Dave, what kind of power did they have?
:lol: Defenders are very cool vehicles!

It had an OHV 4 liter V8 (the revised one in the 97 refreshening) that made 182 horsepower, and about 240 lb ft of torque.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

I didn't know you could get 3 rows in one, I should have convinced my parents to get one when we bought the Durango. That would have been awesome! :lol: And, too bad about the engine, wish it had the 4.6.

BMWDave

QuoteI didn't know you could get 3 rows in one, I should have convinced my parents to get one when we bought the Durango. That would have been awesome! :lol: And, too bad about the engine, wish it had the 4.6.
It would have been about 4 times as expensive (at least) as the Durango.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Really? The Durango was $27,000, surely a new one didn't cost over 100k.  

BMWDave

QuoteReally? The Durango was $27,000, surely a new one didn't cost over 100k.
You'd be suprised.   When I was checking back in 2000, a relatively new 110 was up at 93K.  They cost a lot less in Britain, starting at about 17K pounds.  I dont know why they are so much in the US.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

That is ridiculous, why buy a Defender when the G was the same price yet offered the same capability and much more luxury?  

BMWDave

QuoteThat is ridiculous, why buy a Defender when the G was the same price yet offered the same capability and much more luxury?
That was back then...I remember when G Wagons werent being imported to the US, and it cost about 150K to buy one here.

Now it will cost you about 40K to buy one the mid 90s.  Defeders are iconic vehicles, and never seem to get old, so it really doesnt matter when you buy them from.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

I recall the prices being more like 115k for a two door, but it has been a while.  

Raghavan

You'd be suprised.   When I was checking back in 2000, a relatively new 110 was up at 93K.  They cost a lot less in Britain, starting at about 17K pounds.  I dont know why they are so much in the US.
import and emissions maybe?

TBR

A 2003 G500 costs about the same as a '97 110, maybe a tad more.  

BMWDave

import and emissions maybe?
Very possible.  They are still rare in the US.  

Here is one from Ebay going for about 24K at the moment:

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

QuoteA 2003 G500 costs about the same as a '97 110, maybe a tad more.
You cant compare a car that isnt imported to a car that is imported.  Land Rover Defenders sell from 18K pounds in Great Britain, which is a lot less than what a G Class costs there.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Yes you can, if you're looking at a car you don't decide that you will look only at ones imported through 3rd party companies.  

BMWDave

QuoteYes you can, if you're looking at a car you don't decide that you will look only at ones imported through 3rd party companies.
You cannot look at an extremely rare car that isnt even imported to the US and say that it is very expensive, when compared to a car that IS sold in the US.  You just cannot compare them based on price.  A Land Rover Defender's cost represents many added costs that the g Wagon doesnt have.

2007 Honda S2000

R33 GT-R

the problem with non standard imports is the investor has to have the vehicle crash tested himself.  Then if there are problems with the crash test they have to reinforce things themselves and crash test again.  Where are the vehicles coming from they are crash testing?  They have to buy them then crash them, arrrrrgh.  Then you go to emissions, I'm not 100% but I thinks it's around 4k-8k to get the emissions test done at the lab.  There is also usually a 3 month waiting list to get to the emissions lab.  Then if it fails you have to repeat the process and pay again.  You don't have to crash them each time a new one comes in but you have to emissions test every new one.

TBR

Yes, because Land Rover chose not to import them, but MB made a smart business decision and did bring the G over. If I am looking at a car I don't care what added costs were involved, I just care about the final price.

BMWDave

Quotethe problem with non standard imports is the investor has to have the vehicle crash tested himself.  Then if there are problems with the crash test they have to reinforce things themselves and crash test again.  Where are the vehicles coming from they are crash testing?  They have to buy them then crash them, arrrrrgh.  Then you go to emissions, I'm not 100% but I thinks it's around 4k-8k to get the emissions test done at the lab.  There is also usually a 3 month waiting list to get to the emissions lab.  Then if it fails you have to repeat the process and pay again.  You don't have to crash them each time a new one comes in but you have to emissions test every new one.
Exactly what I am saying...those are just some of the added fees that the Defender price represents.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

QuoteYes, because Land Rover chose not to import them, but MB made a smart business decision and did bring the G over. If I am looking at a car I don't care what added costs were involved, I just care about the final price.
Lets say I wanted a Ford Mondeo, and I compared it to a Honda Accord.  The Mondeo would have to be crash tested, emissions certified, and could end up being a lot more than the Accord.  According to you, I have just made a fair comparison.

The fact is that most people who buy a G Class in the US would never even look at a Defender first, and wouldnt even compare them at all.

And you cannot go using price against a vehicle just because its maker decided not to import them.  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

QuoteYes, because Land Rover chose not to import them, but MB made a smart business decision and did bring the G over. If I am looking at a car I don't care what added costs were involved, I just care about the final price.
Lets say I wanted a Ford Mondeo, and I compared it to a Honda Accord.  The Mondeo would have to be crash tested, emissions certified, and could end up being a lot more than the Accord.  According to you, I have just made a fair comparison.

The fact is that most people who buy a G Class in the US would never even look at a Defender first, and wouldnt even compare them at all.

And you cannot go using price against a vehicle just because its maker decided not to import them.
what he said^

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Of course you can. You compare the prices that you would be paying, and see which one is more.  

TBR

If I am looking at a tough offroader that can still carry the family I have 3 options:
Hummer
Glendewagon
Defender

The Hummer is too big, while the Defender and Glendewagen are just the right size, why wouldn't I compare the two? And, this is a imported Glendewagen that looks like it will go for under $45000: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-8-Brabus-...1QQcmdZViewItem

R33 GT-R

QuoteOf course you can. You compare the prices that you would be paying, and see which one is more.
Iffys joined our party,  yaaaay iffy.

BMWDave

QuoteOf course you can. You compare the prices that you would be paying, and see which one is more.
Of course "you" can, thats your very own perogative, but it is silly to fault a vehicle for its price relative to another imported vehicle when it isnt even imported to the country.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

I think both if and I understand that this isn't a level playing field, but why would it matter to the consumer?