Could this be the new G?

Started by Submariner, July 20, 2005, 02:11:52 PM

TBR

We aren't talking about the 90, we're talking about the 110.

R33 GT-R

QuoteWe aren't talking about the 90, we're talking about the 110.
Ok, go get it yourself then or wait on Dave.   :lol:  
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

TBR

I just want to clarify something, I do like the  Defender very much and if I was looking for an offroad vehicle I would likely end up with a 90, BUT for a vehicle that needs to be used for things other than offroading I would choose the G500 over the 110 in a minute, in addition to having more luxury features it can likely tow pretty well, I doubt the 110 can due to its anemic engine.  

BMWDave

QuoteI just want to clarify something, I do like the  Defender very much and if I was looking for an offroad vehicle I would likely end up with a 90, BUT for a vehicle that needs to be used for things other than offroading I would choose the G500 over the 110 in a minute, in addition to having more luxury features it can likely tow pretty well, I doubt the 110 can due to its anemic engine.
Heres something just for the moment.  The G Wagon is 211 mm off the ground, while the Defender is 229 mm off the ground.

Tow rating for a Defender 90 is 3,500 in high range.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

QuoteI just want to clarify something, I do like the  Defender very much and if I was looking for an offroad vehicle I would likely end up with a 90, BUT for a vehicle that needs to be used for things other than offroading I would choose the G500 over the 110 in a minute, in addition to having more luxury features it can likely tow pretty well, I doubt the 110 can due to its anemic engine.
Heres something just for the moment.  The G Wagon is 211 mm off the ground, while the Defender is 229 mm off the ground.

Tow rating for a Defender 90 is 3,500 in high range.
3500 isn't impressive and I doubt it can tow even that very well, 180hp isn't very much.

BMWDave

Link

G500:

Approach: 36
Departure: 27

Land Rover 110: Link

Approach: 50
Departure: 35

Substantially, substantially better than the G Wagon.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Indeed, those are better. I still stand by my original statement that the G500 does indeed compete with the Defender.  

BMWDave

QuoteIndeed, those are better. I still stand by my original statement that the G500 does indeed compete with the Defender.
But yet you didnt belive my statement that it had better approach and departure angles, better clearance etc until I had provided links.  The Defender is indeed the far superior off roader, while the G500 is the far superior on roader.  In the US, other than the fact that they are both boxes, their similarities end there.

2007 Honda S2000

R33 GT-R

The breakover angle is superior for the Defender as well, isn't it Dave?

R33 GT-R

QuoteIndeed, those are better. I still stand by my original statement that the G500 does indeed compete with the Defender.
Nope, two different animals for 2 different jobs.   :rockon:  

BMWDave

QuoteThe breakover angle is superior for the Defender as well, isn't it Dave?
Yes, but let me check that up to be sure.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

Link

Defender: 152

I cant find a breakover angle on the internet for a GWagon just yet.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

But yet you didnt belive my statement that it had better approach and departure angles, better clearance etc until I had provided links.  The Defender is indeed the far superior off roader, while the G500 is the far superior on roader.  In the US, other than the fact that they are both boxes, their similarities end there.
Actually, I did, I just wanted you to have to work for it ;). And, they aren't two completely different vehicles at all. Okay, the Defender is more capable, but the G500 is still very competent offroad, probably better than anything else except for the Defender and Wrangler.

BMWDave

Actually, I did, I just wanted you to have to work for it ;). And, they aren't two completely different vehicles at all. Okay, the Defender is more capable, but the G500 is still very competent offroad, probably better than anything else except for the Defender and Wrangler.
My Disco is probably just as capable...I will check up figures for that :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

My Disco is probably just as capable...I will check up figures for that :lol:
LInk

Disco II:

Approach angle is 31
Departure angle is 25

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

So my statement stands, besides there is more too a good offroader than approach and departure angles.  

BMWDave

QuoteSo my statement stands, besides there is more too a good offroader than approach and departure angles.
Your statement that there are no better off roaders than a Defender and a Wrangler and a G500 may stand, but its not what the argument was about. ;)  

2007 Honda S2000

R33 GT-R

QuoteSo my statement stands, besides there is more too a good offroader than approach and departure angles.
Really, how much off roading have you done personally.  How many times have you needed to be pulled from a hole.  Do you even know anyone that goes offroad besides me. :lol:  

R33 GT-R

The Rubicon is much more capable offroad than the G as well.  The shorter wheelbases on them smokes the G.  Now lets cross traverse a hill and see what flips over first, the Defender will be upright for another 2 degrees after the Benz starts rolling down the hill.  The motor may be paultry to you as well TBR but it doesn't matter because of the gearing.  It's damn near perfect.

TBR

QuoteThe Ribicon is much more capable offroad than the G as well.  The shorter wheelbases on them smokes the G.  Now lets cross traverse a hill and see what flips over first, the Defender will be upright for another 2 degrees after the Benz starts rolling down the hill.  The motor may be paultry to you as well TBR but it doesn't matter because of the gearing.  It's damn near perfect.
I just said that both the Wrangler and Defender are better offroad, try reading before you post.  

R33 GT-R

QuoteThe Ribicon is much more capable offroad than the G as well.  The shorter wheelbases on them smokes the G.  Now lets cross traverse a hill and see what flips over first, the Defender will be upright for another 2 degrees after the Benz starts rolling down the hill.  The motor may be paultry to you as well TBR but it doesn't matter because of the gearing.  It's damn near perfect.
I just said that both the Wrangler and Defender are better offroad, try reading before you post.
I did, read what you posted.   :lol:  

TBR

QuoteThe Ribicon is much more capable offroad than the G as well.  The shorter wheelbases on them smokes the G.  Now lets cross traverse a hill and see what flips over first, the Defender will be upright for another 2 degrees after the Benz starts rolling down the hill.  The motor may be paultry to you as well TBR but it doesn't matter because of the gearing.  It's damn near perfect.
Apparantly not very carefully. ;)

"probably better than anything else except for the Defender and Wrangler."

R33 GT-R

QuoteThe Ribicon is much more capable offroad than the G as well.? The shorter wheelbases on them smokes the G.? Now lets cross traverse a hill and see what flips over first, the Defender will be upright for another 2 degrees after the Benz starts rolling down the hill.? The motor may be paultry to you as well TBR but it doesn't matter because of the gearing.? It's damn near perfect.
Apparantly not very carefully. ;)

"probably better than anything else except for the Defender and Wrangler."
You need to underline that next time I completely missed it.   :P

Thanks for the help with my seemingly pointless seriously confused car search.  

How big are the back seats in the M5?  Big enough for three kids, 12,5,4?  

TBR

Definitely, my parents pack my brother and I (17 and 15) into the back seat of a small midsizer, I think your kids can deal with the M5. Besides, you go through cars pretty quick anyway so when your kids start getting cramped you can just move up to something bigger.

R33 GT-R

QuoteDefinitely, my parents pack my brother and I (17 and 15) into the back seat of a small midsizer, I think your kids can deal with the M5. Besides, you go through cars pretty quick anyway so when your kids start getting cramped you can just move up to something bigger.
There's not enough M5s for sale for me to establish what's a good deal and what isn't.  I think the one they have seems to be a good deal though.