I really love the look of the EVO X

Started by sportyaccordy, June 05, 2008, 09:26:46 PM

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on June 12, 2008, 09:11:54 PM
Since when is a rally bred hooligan like the Evo supposed to be a practical daily driver or a compromise?

I am sure Mitsubishi would like to make a little money.

And, the Evo has always been a compromise, do you really think that a 4-door economy car is the ideal basis for a rally car?

TBR

Don't forget that everybody who has driven it has said that not only is the Evo X much more comfortable, but it also feels better in performance driving (and puts up similar numbers).

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 13, 2008, 12:35:30 PM
Yea I have realized that it is much more impressive for a car to be a competent performer as well as a comfortable daily driver. It is easy to make an uncompromising, unyielding beast that is only satisfying to drive at 10/10ths... unfortunately in the real world there are things like traffic, laws, etc. get in the way of enjoying a car like an EVO's capabilities all the time. So in the long run I think Mitsu did the right thing in taming and beautifying the EVO. I wouldn't have bought the last one but I could definitely see myself hopping in and out of this one.

The last Evo was better looking (in my opinion) and very fun to drive at mundane speeds. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

Quote from: TBR on June 13, 2008, 09:42:00 PM
Don't forget that everybody who has driven it has said that not only is the Evo X much more comfortable, but it also feels better in performance driving (and puts up similar numbers).

I know it really doesn't matter, but the Evo is about the same size as my car and weighs about 800 pounds more.  Think about that...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: TBR on June 13, 2008, 09:40:05 PM
I am sure Mitsubishi would like to make a little money.

And, the Evo has always been a compromise, do you really think that a 4-door economy car is the ideal basis for a rally car?

Yeah, Mitsubishi is banking their survival on a low volume halo car.  If they want to make a little money, they should focus on core cars.  People don't buy loads of high performance sedans, but they buy loads of Camrys and Accords.  They don't buy any Galants. 

Considering most rally cars are based on economy cars these days, I'd say, yeah, it's the ideal.  The Lancer became the basis of Mitsu rallying over 15 years ago (and it inspired Subaru to dump the Legacy and go with the Impreza as its rally car) so I doubt they'd have stuck with it if it didn't work.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on June 13, 2008, 09:46:34 PM
Yeah, Mitsubishi is banking their survival on a low volume halo car.  If they want to make a little money, they should focus on core cars.  People don't buy loads of high performance sedans, but they buy loads of Camrys and Accords.  They don't buy any Galants. 

Considering most rally cars are based on economy cars these days, I'd say, yeah, it's the ideal.  The Lancer became the basis of Mitsu rallying over 15 years ago (and it inspired Subaru to dump the Legacy and go with the Impreza as its rally car) so I doubt they'd have stuck with it if it didn't work.

An ideal rally car would be purpose built, but it would be difficult to sell enough of a car that impractical (and expensive) for homologation purposes.

People don't buy Galants because they don't know who Mitsubishi is, sell more Evos and more people know who Mitsubishi is. And, Mitsubishi clearly sucks at this whole car selling stuff, their strategy very well might require selling lots of Evos.

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on June 13, 2008, 09:44:47 PM
I know it really doesn't matter, but the Evo is about the same size as my car and weighs about 800 pounds more.  Think about that...

Let's be completely fair here, a fair amount of that (turbo, intercooler, stiffer structure, more advanced AWD system) does enhance performance. They also have safety standards to meet. And, let's remember that an Evo would spank your wagon's ass over and over, on a street or on a track, and that's what actually matters.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on June 13, 2008, 09:58:42 PM
An ideal rally car would be purpose built, but it would be difficult to sell enough of a car that impractical (and expensive) for homologation purposes.

People don't buy Galants because they don't know who Mitsubishi is, sell more Evos and more people know who Mitsubishi is. And, Mitsubishi clearly sucks at this whole car selling stuff, their strategy very well might require selling lots of Evos.

Come on, you really think Evos, cars that generally appeal to people who don't know how to wear a baseball cap correctly, is going to invigorate Galant sales and save Mitsubishi's US auto operation?

Mitsubishi will be selling nothing but TVs here in 10 years. 

Although, Mitsubishi TVs are very good. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on June 13, 2008, 10:06:29 PM
Come on, you really think Evos, cars that generally appeal to people who don't know how to wear a baseball cap correctly, is going to invigorate Galant sales and save Mitsubishi's US auto operation?

Mitsubishi will be selling nothing but TVs here in 10 years. 

Although, Mitsubishi TVs are very good. 

It's not likely, but that is the reasoning behind having halo models around, isn't it?

the Teuton

Quote from: TBR on June 13, 2008, 10:00:46 PM
Let's be completely fair here, a fair amount of that (turbo, intercooler, stiffer structure, more advanced AWD system) does enhance performance. They also have safety standards to meet. And, let's remember that an Evo would spank your wagon's ass over and over, on a street or on a track, and that's what actually matters.

Hence, "I know it really doesn't matter..."

For reference, an STI weighs 200 lbs. less and still competes in WRC (and it arguably packs more little features and gizmos in it).  There are no EVO Xs in WRC right now, at least none that are remotely competitive.

All I am saying is that Mitsubishi designed a pig.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: TBR on June 13, 2008, 10:08:32 PM
It's not likely, but that is the reasoning behind having halo models around, isn't it?

Halo models have to work well as halo models.  Sure, I'm not convinced that the Ford GT sold any Fusions, but I'm even less convinced that the Evo sells anything but base Lancers.  And even then, I bet not many.  I don't know why you'd buy a Lancer over a Civic.  Are they significantly cheaper? 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=14826.msg833223#msg833223 date=1213416777
Halo models have to work well as halo models.  Sure, I'm not convinced that the Ford GT sold any Fusions, but I'm even less convinced that the Evo sells anything but base Lancers.  And even then, I bet not many.  I don't know why you'd buy a Lancer over a Civic.  Are they significantly cheaper? 

Base trims are.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on June 13, 2008, 09:42:36 PM
The last Evo was better looking (in my opinion) and very fun to drive at mundane speeds. 

Well the old regular Lancer was butt ugly... the new one is decent, the old Evo was 'eh' but it's the same jump to me.

And I did not come away particularly impressed with the Evo IX's straight line performance; it also rode pretty rough. I just see this new one appealing to more people, for better or worse (better IMO)...

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 14, 2008, 05:54:33 AM
Well the old regular Lancer was butt ugly... the new one is decent, the old Evo was 'eh' but it's the same jump to me.

And I did not come away particularly impressed with the Evo IX's straight line performance; it also rode pretty rough. I just see this new one appealing to more people, for better or worse (better IMO)...

I definitely like the old Lancers better.  The new standard Lancer looks more upscale on the outside than the old model, and definitely more modern looking.  But I prefer the upright simplicity of the older model. 

I drove an Evo VIII, but I'm pretty sure the only difference between the VIII and IX are the foglights, so I think it compares.  I found it pretty quick, comfortable, and very entertaining.  One of the few truly great cars.

Oh, and back to the money thing.  I walked into a Mitsu dealer looking for used Evos.  They didn't have any, but they offered me three grand off a new GSR.  And that was without me even going into full negotiation mode.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Middle_Path

This right here is awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOWx5G76pkU

Very good song, very good band, full of win, but it's short. Listen to their other songs. I doubt anyone will like it, but it's worth a shot.
You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on June 13, 2008, 10:12:27 PM
Hence, "I know it really doesn't matter..."

For reference, an STI weighs 200 lbs. less and still competes in WRC (and it arguably packs more little features and gizmos in it).  There are no EVO Xs in WRC right now, at least none that are remotely competitive.

All I am saying is that Mitsubishi designed a pig.

Too bad Subaru flubbed the final tuning on the American model.

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on June 13, 2008, 10:12:57 PM

They have more power, look better, and seem to be tuned more aggressively. Just as good of a question: why would you buy a Civic over a Lancer? And don't say resale value.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on June 14, 2008, 06:41:45 AM
I definitely like the old Lancers better.  The new standard Lancer looks more upscale on the outside than the old model, and definitely more modern looking.  But I prefer the upright simplicity of the older model. 

I drove an Evo VIII, but I'm pretty sure the only difference between the VIII and IX are the foglights, so I think it compares.  I found it pretty quick, comfortable, and very entertaining.  One of the few truly great cars.

Oh, and back to the money thing.  I walked into a Mitsu dealer looking for used Evos.  They didn't have any, but they offered me three grand off a new GSR.  And that was without me even going into full negotiation mode.
I never thought I would hear a car being praised for being cheaper (not in price, in aesthetic quality + texture)... I'm at a loss

And yea I think the new EVOs are a little over priced. What do they start at 37, 38K? I think it would be cool to have a top of the line one though.

2o6

Quote from: TBR on June 14, 2008, 10:46:51 AM
They have more power, look better, and seem to be tuned more aggressively. Just as good of a question: why would you buy a Civic over a Lancer? And don't say resale value.

Gas milage, and the Civic Handles/Drives differently. Not better, not worse, but different.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on June 14, 2008, 10:46:51 AM

Now, I don't know this market very well, but I thought they had the same power. 

The Civic has a legacy of being reliable, fun, and well built.  I don't think I've ever met someone with a Civic who didn't like it.  I knew one idiot who sold his for a Protege, and misses his Civic badly. 

The standard Lancer has a legacy for being...kind of like an Evo?  And like I said, I don't think Mitsubishi will be selling cars in the US much longer.  That fact alone would make me wary of buying a Lancer. 

Have any magazines compared the Civic and Lancer? 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza  on June 14, 2008, 09:18:44 PM

The Civic has a legacy of being reliable, fun, and well built.  I don't think I've ever met someone with a Civic who didn't like it.  I knew one idiot who sold his for a Protege, and misses his Civic badly. 

Lancer has 152 hp and the Civic has 140 hp.  Per C/D the 5-speed Lancer GTS runs to 60 mph in 7.8 seconds, the 5-speed Civic did it in 7.7 seconds.  Civic was two tenths quicker in the quarter mile too.  I'd wager that the Lancer GTS handles better than the non-Si Civics, though it's pricing is more in line with the Si.

And I don't hate my Proteg?.  Hehehe....
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

nickdrinkwater

It's not all about power or straight line speed.  I've not sat in a Lancer but the Civic is a very high quality product (interior quality, fit and finish is very good) so I'd be inclined to say that's a good reason to take one over the Mitsubishi.

Vinsanity

The Lancer offers more car than the Civic at a cheaper price. The Lancer doesn't really impress as far as interior quality, etc. goes, but neither does the Civic. I'd say the extra money you'd pay for a Civic is for the higher resale value and reputation for reliability

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on June 14, 2008, 09:18:44 PM

The standard Lancer has a legacy for being...kind of like an Evo?  And like I said, I don't think Mitsubishi will be selling cars in the US much longer.  That fact alone would make me wary of buying a Lancer. 

Have any magazines compared the Civic and Lancer? 

So you would prefer a car for its legacy? Might I recommend a BMW for your next purchase? Pretty weak argument there, especially since the Civic legacy includes the last generation model which was a pretty average car for a very much "unaverage" price.

Also, the Lancer now has two engines, the 152hp 2.0l and a 168hp 2.4l.

nickdrinkwater

The Civic has more brand heritage and prestige.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on June 15, 2008, 01:13:12 PM
So you would prefer a car for its legacy? Might I recommend a BMW for your next purchase? Pretty weak argument there, especially since the Civic legacy includes the last generation model which was a pretty average car for a very much "unaverage" price.

Also, the Lancer now has two engines, the 152hp 2.0l and a 168hp 2.4l.

No, you missed my point.  I'm saying that I don't know much about the cars, so all I have to go on is reputation.

Say you're the guy on the spinning target at a circus.  Do you want the guy who has been throwing knives for years and doing it incredibly well, or the guy who supposedly improved a lot overnight? 

Other than the Evo, has Mitsubishi sold a competitive car in the last ten years?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Raza  on June 16, 2008, 08:04:38 AM
No, you missed my point.  I'm saying that I don't know much about the cars, so all I have to go on is reputation.

Say you're the guy on the spinning target at a circus.  Do you want the guy who has been throwing knives for years and doing it incredibly well, or the guy who supposedly improved a lot overnight? 

Other than the Evo, has Mitsubishi sold a competitive car in the last ten years?

The only one I can think of is the Outlander.

TBR

The Galant was relatively competitive when it came out.