Edmunds: 2009 A4 3.2 Quattro vs 2008 MB C350

Started by SJ_GTI, June 09, 2008, 02:24:41 PM

r0tor

sorry, your sentra does not go fast enough for that wing to do shit...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ArchBishop

Quote from: Lebowski on June 16, 2008, 08:38:07 AM

Seriously ... that thing is fucking hideous.  I wouldn't be caught dead in that riced out shitbox.  Anyone over the age of 16 would get laughed out of town if they drove that, I don't care how it performs.

It's an otherwise stock sentra body, with an functional wing. I guess Mike Kojima is a ricer, as is anyone else who races their car.

You are stupid.

ArchBishop

Quote from: r0tor on June 16, 2008, 11:21:17 AM
sorry, your sentra does not go fast enough for that wing to do shit...

Stop. You have proved your ignorance of cars already.
But, please, do tell me, how fast do you have to be to have a wing on your race car?

ArchBishop

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 16, 2008, 05:35:16 AM
By that logic we should be comparing a tuned Altima to a tuned Audi.

You'd look like a dickhead driving that Nissan on the road though.

The Sentra isn't my car, and it isn't daily drivable. The widows are lexan, the interior is stripped, full roll cage and as of right now, its a rolling chassis up for grabs for $3500 waiting for a SR20VE motor. You could be very completive with a car like this.

r0tor

oh here we go, do you even know the principas of what makes a wing produce downforce? 

If it did defeat all laws of physics and created any downforce at your speeds, your car would have immense amounts of understeer from your FWD combined with the lack of any kind of adequate front splitter (and extremely high ground clearance) to balance the downforce on the front of the car.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ArchBishop

Quote from: r0tor on June 16, 2008, 11:31:40 AM
oh here we go, do you even know the principas of what makes a wing produce downforce? 

If it did defeat all laws of physics and created any downforce at your speeds, your car would have immense amounts of understeer from your FWD combined with the lack of any kind of adequate front splitter (and extremely high ground clearance) to balance the downforce on the front of the car.
I know how downforce works. I asked you how fast you'd have to go in order to have a functional wing on your car?

Do you know who Mike Kojima is?

ArchBishop

Lebowski

Quote from: ArchBishop on June 16, 2008, 11:21:33 AM

It's an otherwise stock sentra body, with an functional wing. I guess Mike Kojima is a ricer, as is anyone else who races their car.

You are stupid.

Really?  Cause where I'm sitting, the paint job, wheels, and front end combine with the wing to make it look an awful lot like a tastelessly done Ricer.

I don't know who Mike Kojima is, nor do I care, other than I do hope he is no older than 16, otherwise he'd look like an utter fool driving around in that riced out shitbox.

r0tor

Vinsanity

Quote from: Lebowski on June 16, 2008, 12:29:45 PM

Really?  Cause where I'm sitting, the paint job, wheels, and front end combine with the wing to make it look an awful lot like a tastelessly done Ricer.

I don't know who Mike Kojima is, nor do I care, other than I do hope he is no older than 16, otherwise he'd look like an utter fool driving around in that riced out shitbox.

meh. It's a track car. I doubt that thing is able to drive on the streets anymore. So if it turns out to not be a slow POS around the racetrack, who cares if it looks like a F&F reject? :huh:

r0tor

Quote from: ArchBishop on June 16, 2008, 11:30:34 AM
The Sentra isn't my car, and it isn't daily drivable.

we have a wannabe leg humping ricer?

Submariner

Quote from: ArchBishop on June 16, 2008, 11:19:46 AM
It's a Sentra, and that is for actual for Nation competition racing.

OMGZORS NATION RACING LOL FTW

Not only did you not post a picture of your particular model, you forgot to mention that no major auto competition uses Nissans (save for perhaps the GT-R), let alone a lowly Altima. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

ArchBishop

Real Time Racing used a B15 sentra (same as the one pictured above) and Now uses an Acura TSX. Both of them used rear wings ;)

Koni challenge uses the 350Z, and depending on what class you are in in SCCA, I'm sure you can find a lot of B13 Sentra's.

ArchBishop

Quote from: r0tor on June 16, 2008, 12:31:18 PM
and i care because?

Great Comback. Tell Realtime Racing's winning TSX that wings on FWD cars are stupid. Just like you.

ArchBishop

Quote from: Lebowski on June 16, 2008, 12:29:45 PM

What is a ricer? You do realize that it is often way more expensive to make bigger cars, like a GTO, or hell, a 350Z track worthy than it is to grab a civic hatch as a base point.

Sport compact enthusiast are one of the reasons you see such improvements in cars like the RSX-S, Civic SI, and Cobalt SS. Keep thinking modifying a car you don't approve of makes someone a ricer.

Lebowski

Quote from: ArchBishop on June 16, 2008, 02:01:43 PM
What is a ricer? You do realize that it is often way more expensive to make bigger cars, like a GTO, or hell, a 350Z track worthy than it is to grab a civic hatch as a base point.

Sport compact enthusiast are one of the reasons you see such improvements in cars like the RSX-S, Civic SI, and Cobalt SS. Keep thinking modifying a car you don't approve of makes someone a ricer.

Making it hideous makes it a ricer.

And I still don't see what this has to do with the A4.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Lebowski on June 16, 2008, 03:00:40 PM
Making it hideous makes it a ricer.

And I still don't see what this has to do with the A4.
Don't you know what a stock 2001 Sentra SE can do 0-60 mph 1.1 seconds faster than the A4? It's so much better! :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

r0tor

Quote from: ArchBishop on June 16, 2008, 01:53:47 PM
Great Comback. Tell Realtime Racing's winning TSX that wings on FWD cars are stupid. Just like you.

they also run a front splitter to balance downforce, extremely low ride heights, side skirts to help with under car flow, and the rear wing in a place TESTED BY A WIND TUNNEL.... and it still produces next to nothing in 90% of the turns and their speeds really aren't any different then the Koni cup cars that run OEM spoliers

ArchBishop

Quote from: r0tor on June 16, 2008, 04:20:50 PM
they also run a front splitter to balance downforce, extremely low ride heights, side skirts to help with under car flow, and the rear wing in a place TESTED BY A WIND TUNNEL.... and it still produces next to nothing in 90% of the turns and their speeds really aren't any different then the Koni cup cars that run OEM spoliers

I see a front splitter on the Sentra

And again Mike Kojima's Near 400hp Race sentra...

Hmm....

Idiot.

ArchBishop

And I'll ask once more, since you like to aviod the question (because you don't know)

How fast do you have to go to produce downforce?

Catman

Quote from: ArchBishop on June 16, 2008, 07:02:09 PM
And I'll ask once more, since you like to aviod the question (because you don't know)

OK a public warning because I'm tired of deleting your useless posts.  Stop insulting other members.  Make your point and move on.  I'm not going to warn you again.

r0tor

Quote from: ArchBishop on June 16, 2008, 07:02:09 PM

Mike Kojima's wing design reportedly can make 300lbs of downforce at 100mph according to your worthless link.  Usually that is rated with complete flow going over the wing and not in the wake of the car.  His car actually has a bit of thought and engineering put into it, although his columns on aerodynamics has more things wrong with it then i care to get into at this point (hint the real reason for endplates on a wing has nothing to do with the feathers on an arrow).

Downforce produced is proportional to the square of the airflow going over it.  If it makes a generous 250lbs at 100 mph on Kojima's car, its making about 90lbs of downforce or less at the probable nominal cornering speed of a typical track and creating 30 or more lbs of drag on the straights... yippee, a sack of potatoes might do just as well.  A real racecar with ground effects can produce 1000-2000lbs of downforce or more at cornering speeds.

Now on the other hand, the POS sentra does not have a super efficient rear wing - rather a riceboy & company internet special.  It does not have an adequate front splitter to balance the downforce.  Its splitter is probably 6" off the ground which completely negates the purpose of a front splitter in the first place.  Its top speed is probably a little over 100mph and cornering speeds in the pathetic range.  If it produces more downforce in a corner then it weighs, it would be a miracle... and would cause gigantic understeer.

... but it makes you look like a racer with wrong wheel drive.... yawn

r0tor

the POS Sentra is also so incredible the owner tried to sell it with zero responses... LOL http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12597&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

cawimmer430

Quote from: ArchBishop on June 16, 2008, 06:59:57 PM
I see a front splitter on the Sentra

And again Mike Kojima's Near 400hp Race sentra...

Hmm....

Idiot.

RACING HERITAGE!  :rockon:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Catman

Quote from: r0tor on June 17, 2008, 05:58:10 AM
Mike Kojima's wing design reportedly can make 300lbs of downforce at 100mph according to your worthless link.  Usually that is rated with complete flow going over the wing and not in the wake of the car.  His car actually has a bit of thought and engineering put into it, although his columns on aerodynamics has more things wrong with it then i care to get into at this point (hint the real reason for endplates on a wing has nothing to do with the feathers on an arrow).

Downforce produced is proportional to the square of the airflow going over it.  If it makes a generous 250lbs at 100 mph on Kojima's car, its making about 90lbs of downforce or less at the probable nominal cornering speed of a typical track and creating 30 or more lbs of drag on the straights... yippee, a sack of potatoes might do just as well.  A real racecar with ground effects can produce 1000-2000lbs of downforce or more at cornering speeds.

Now on the other hand, the POS sentra does not have a super efficient rear wing - rather a riceboy & company internet special.  It does not have an adequate front splitter to balance the downforce.  Its splitter is probably 6" off the ground which completely negates the purpose of a front splitter in the first place.  Its top speed is probably a little over 100mph and cornering speeds in the pathetic range.  If it produces more downforce in a corner then it weighs, it would be a miracle... and would cause gigantic understeer.

... but it makes you look like a racer with wrong wheel drive.... yawn

Sorry, no rebuttal coming.......

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

hotrodalex

Hmm, it's kinda hard to compare a track car to a street car, much less an extremely modified track car to a bone stock street car.