Rented: 2007 Taurus SE

Started by USA_Idol, June 10, 2008, 03:00:40 AM

USA_Idol

Good:
- Surprisingly quiet at highway speeds.
- Genuinely agile for a large-ish midsize.
- It's a handsome car...in a generic kind of way.
- Vulcan 3.0L V-6 is smoother than I expected.

Bad:
- Styling may be a bit too generic.
- Interior design is definitely too generic.
- Cabin materials are disappointingly cheap.
- Sloppy assembly (I don't think there's a body seam or interior panel that lines up the way its supposed to).
- Seats have weird bulge in the lower backrest; very uncomfortable.
- Seat fabric looks low-rent.
- Engine power trails off at higher speeds, probably not unusual for a positively ancient pushrod V-6.
- It may be a fairly large and heavy midsize (or semi-shrimpy full-size, take your pick) with a V6 engine...but 20-21 MPG is not what I'd call fuel efficient.

Verdict:
On a budget -- Not a bad choice despite its flaws.
Not on a budget -- I'd seriously look at the imports first, most of which are higher quality and have greater mechanical refinement.

Colin

You've missed the worst failing of this car........ the brakes, or rather the complete lack of them, especially in the wet. I remember renting one of these a few years ago and being genuinely scared about its lacking of stopping ability on wet roads (that was before I experienced the Explorer, which is similarly afflicted).

I succesfully managed to avoid the "Tortoise" for the last few years, and hope that the very last stragglers have finally been pensioned off by Mr Hertz.

Why anyone would prefer one of these to a Hyundai or a Kia beats me, but it seems blind prejudice lives on in the minds of many customers......

SVT666

Quote from: USA_Idol on June 10, 2008, 03:00:40 AM
- It may be a fairly large and heavy midsize (or semi-shrimpy full-size, take your pick) with a V6 engine...but 20-21 MPG is not what I'd call fuel efficient.
It's a full size car.  It's nowhere near midsize.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 10, 2008, 04:34:24 AM
It's a full size car.  It's nowhere near midsize.

The 2007? It straddles the middle ground the same way the GM W-bodies do, and certainly occupied the squarely midsize market position between the discontinuation of the Contour in 2000 and the introduction of the Fusion in 2006.

Pommes-T

Ford should stretch the Mondeo and sell it in the USA...  :cheers:
'00 BMW 523i

omicron

Quote from: Pommes-T on June 10, 2008, 06:12:48 AM
Ford should stretch the Mondeo and sell it in the USA...  :cheers:

A larger Mondeo, you say? Your car awaits!

Petrol Mondeos are rated at 9.5l/100km (24.75mpg), and a six-cylinder petrol Falcon is rated at 10.1l/100km (23.28mpg) - not a huge difference given the size and power advantages of the larger car.

Submariner

Wait are we talking about the Taurus Taurus, or the 500 turned Taurus, Taurus.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

ifcar

The Five Hundred Taurus came out for 2008. The 2007 model was the older version.

Submariner

Quote from: ifcar on June 10, 2008, 08:34:17 AM
The Five Hundred Taurus came out for 2008. The 2007 model was the older version.

Ohh...that...*shudders* Taurus.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on June 10, 2008, 05:53:44 AM
The 2007? It straddles the middle ground the same way the GM W-bodies do, and certainly occupied the squarely midsize market position between the discontinuation of the Contour in 2000 and the introduction of the Fusion in 2006.
Sorry, I thought he was talking about the 2008, which is definitely a full size.

USA_Idol

Oh yes, I did forget about the brakes!  Sorry, I was tired when I posted the review. 

In routine driving, they feel fine.  But I had to stop suddenly on wet pavement one night and WHOA!  That car nearly slid across the intersection!  Those brakes locked up so fast it wasn't even funny.  Downright scary, in fact.

I'm sure they're acceptable with the ABS option, but I wonder now how many of them are actually equipped with that safety feature?

the Teuton

My brother just bought one.  The brakes (ABS, methinks) were fine, and the Vulcan wasn't that bad.  It's not a terrible car.  I can't see what you're all seeing.

It's no less comfortable than a LaCrosse, albeit a bit less luxurious.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

A lot more space than the LaCrosse, and not nearly as quiet. But I've always liked the Taurus more than most people do.

EDIT: I'd originally written "I've always liked the Taurus more than most people", which is probably also true, but not as relevant here.

Byteme

Quote from: ifcar on June 11, 2008, 07:00:23 AM

EDIT: I'd originally written "I've always liked the Taurus more than most people", which is probably also true, but not as relevant here.

Ah, the sign of a true gear head.   ;)