What I would like to see....

Started by mojammer, June 16, 2008, 05:23:45 PM

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 18, 2008, 08:19:31 AM
Ding Ding!

Once again!

"People want a quality product but not all the gadgets they have no use for."

:praise:

Gadgets are a part of status as well.  It doesn't matter if you need them or not.  You feel a fool if your 50 thousand dollar car doesn't have nav and your neighbor's $30K Camry does.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: the Teuton on June 16, 2008, 10:10:19 PM
The base 135i comes pretty damn close to your wish. 

I wish it had cloth seats instead of vinyl, but it does have manual seats.

Why would you want cloth seats?

Colonel Cadillac

Making stripper luxury cars is not exactly good for marketing and absolutely nobody would buy them.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on June 18, 2008, 03:37:44 PM
Making stripper luxury cars is not exactly good for marketing and absolutely nobody would buy them.

The problem is, BMW's and the like shouldn't have to be fucking LUXURY cars. Only in America.  :banghead:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Vinsanity

Quote from: NACar on June 18, 2008, 03:39:35 PM
The problem is, BMW's and the like shouldn't have to be fucking LUXURY cars. Only in America.  :banghead:

For the price they're asking/selling at, they better be.

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of a stripped-down lower-end 1-series priced in the low $20's, but it would cheapen the brand, and BMW would do no such thing.

the Teuton

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on June 18, 2008, 03:31:22 PM

Because cloth > Leather.

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 18, 2008, 03:54:53 PM
For the price they're asking/selling at, they better be.

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of a stripped-down lower-end 1-series priced in the low $20's, but it would cheapen the brand, and BMW would do no such thing.

They tried that with the 318ti here and it failed miserably.  BMW will never sell a "cheap" car here again.  If you want a new cheap BMW, buy a MINI.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on June 18, 2008, 04:39:30 PM
Because cloth > Leather.

They tried that with the 318ti here and it failed miserably.  BMW will never sell a "cheap" car here again.  If you want a new cheap BMW, buy a MINI.

Yeah, and if you want a cheap Mini, you're shit out of luck.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on June 18, 2008, 03:31:22 PM

If you park your car outside, cloth doesn't get as cold in the winter or as hot in the summer.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on June 18, 2008, 04:47:30 PM
Yeah, and if you want a cheap Mini, you're shit out of luck.

They are on a 6-month back order, but you can get a Cooper S for $23k brand new.  Come on, it's basically a BMW, it's going to have a premium no matter what.  All things considered, a Cooper S is still cheaper than a 318ti, adjusted for inflation.

Most non-S Minis roll out the door for well under $20k.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MX793 on June 18, 2008, 05:56:48 PM
If you park your car outside, cloth doesn't get as cold in the winter or as hot in the summer.
+ 1 billion
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Cookie Monster

Quote from: the Teuton on June 18, 2008, 06:03:42 PM
They are on a 6-month back order, but you can get a Cooper S for $23k brand new.  Come on, it's basically a BMW, it's going to have a premium no matter what.  All things considered, a Cooper S is still cheaper than a 318ti, adjusted for inflation.

If it were a BMW it'd be RWD.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

the Teuton

Quote from: thecarnut on June 18, 2008, 06:12:47 PM
If it were a BMW it'd be RWD.

This is the only time I'm going to mention this, but with the exception of the buzzy lawnmower engine in the car that sorta feels Honda-ish, the thing is a gokart.  IMO, it would do the BMW name much more proud than the A/B-Classes do for Mercedes-Benz.  Drive one, then talk.  It very much is an ultimate driving machine.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on June 18, 2008, 03:37:44 PM

There's a difference between a "stripper" and a car not dependant on the excessive use of gadgetry.

Take an old Roller for example; the high quality of materials, the finish on the wood, the stitching on the seats; all are undeniably high-end luxury items. Yet, the cabin is sparsely equipped by modern standards.

Luxury is not dependant on excessive gadgetry. A 40 dollar timex will likely have more functions and doodads than a Rolex Submariner, yet nobody is confused about which is the luxury item.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on June 18, 2008, 06:03:42 PM

Yeah, so for the same price as a GTI you can get a much smaller car that is not much nimbler.  I remember a handling test Wimmer posted that placed the GTI over the Mini.  And for the same price as a standard Cooper, you can get a much more powerful, larger, more useful Rabbit. 

Sounds like a great deal.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CALL_911

I'd take the GTI over the Cooper S, but the Cooper over the Rabbit.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

I really do need to drive some VWs.  I need more of a basis for comparison.

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on June 18, 2008, 07:25:40 PM
I really do need to drive some VWs.  I need more of a basis for comparison.

Hah, I get to drive both the competitors on a daily basis. :praise: :rockon:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

I want a 123d three-door for a reasonable price.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

My opinion on this matter is somewhat inconsequential, because long ago I realized my tastes do't quite mesh with those of the vast majority, but I'm going to tell you anyways.

A lot of the so-called features on modern luxury cars do nothing but annoy me. Mercedes, a few years ago at least, had power adjutable rear view mirrors on some models: not the side view mirrors which are outside the car; but the inside rear view nirrow placed directly on the windshield. You know, the mirror that is within easy reach of the driver's right hand? It was power adjustable only. Not only that, but the controls to adjust that mirror were almost exactly as far away from the steering wheel as the mirror itself would be. Not only that, but if you forgot about this most essential luxury feature and reach up to the mirror to adjust it directly, you'd end up breaking something and driving around with your mirror dangling uselessly.

Then there are the mirrors that change their aiming when you shift into reverse. What sort of stupidity is this? I use the mirrors to back up in the same position as I drive with them in, and I know of nobody who routinely changes them. Then there are "power folding mirrors." What the fuck is this about? I'm sure the mallard-like flapping of power folding mirrors could hold any kindergartener enthralled for hours, but what other purpose do they serve? Oh, yes- you can fold them in when you're parked. How nice. Except, exactly how many times have you ever wanted to fold your mirrors in when you park, and even better, how many cars have you ever seen parked with their mirrors folded in?

I mean look, you can pile annoyance upon annoyance, and I've only as of yet talked about mirrors! Imagine my complaints about power closing trunks, or four-zone climate control systems!

Look, this is what I want out of a car: For it to do what I tell it to, for it to work flawlessly every time, for it to be a joy to drive, or for it to be an oasis from the maddening chaos that's the rest of my day. Occasionally, I might eveen want someone to say "nice car."

I don't want to have to program a four hundred menu speech recognition command center or for it to have a more complex interface than my last desktop computer. I don't want to have to scroll through street level maps of Glasgow in order to change the radio station. I don't want my car to order my pizza for me, I have a phone, and I've already spent enough time to learn how that horrid contraption works.

Give me a nicely trimmed and appointed, powerful, quiet car that's a joy to drive with a good climate control system (with only one set of controls), and a decent radio; and leave the gimmicks.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CALL_911

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 18, 2008, 11:23:42 PM
My opinion on this matter is somewhat inconsequential, because long ago I realized my tastes do't quite mesh with those of the vast majority, but I'm going to tell you anyways.

A lot of the so-called features on modern luxury cars do nothing but annoy me. Mercedes, a few years ago at least, had power adjutable rear view mirrors on some models: not the side view mirrors which are outside the car; but the inside rear view nirrow placed directly on the windshield. You know, the mirror that is within easy reach of the driver's right hand? It was power adjustable only. Not only that, but the controls to adjust that mirror were almost exactly as far away from the steering wheel as the mirror itself would be. Not only that, but if you forgot about this most essential luxury feature and reach up to the mirror to adjust it directly, you'd end up breaking something and driving around with your mirror dangling uselessly.

Then there are the mirrors that change their aiming when you shift into reverse. What sort of stupidity is this? I use the mirrors to back up in the same position as I drive with them in, and I know of nobody who routinely changes them. Then there are "power folding mirrors." What the fuck is this about? I'm sure the mallard-like flapping of power folding mirrors could hold any kindergartener enthralled for hours, but what other purpose do they serve? Oh, yes- you can fold them in when you're parked. How nice. Except, exactly how many times have you ever wanted to fold your mirrors in when you park, and even better, how many cars have you ever seen parked with their mirrors folded in?

I mean look, you can pile annoyance upon annoyance, and I've only as of yet talked about mirrors! Imagine my complaints about power closing trunks, or four-zone climate control systems!

Look, this is what I want out of a car: For it to do what I tell it to, for it to work flawlessly every time, for it to be a joy to drive, or for it to be an oasis from the maddening chaos that's the rest of my day. Occasionally, I might eveen want someone to say "nice car."

I don't want to have to program a four hundred menu speech recognition command center or for it to have a more complex interface than my last desktop computer. I don't want to have to scroll through street level maps of Glasgow in order to change the radio station. I don't want my car to order my pizza for me, I have a phone, and I've already spent enough time to learn how that horrid contraption works.

Give me a nicely trimmed and appointed, powerful, quiet car that's a joy to drive with a good climate control system (with only one set of controls), and a decent radio; and leave the gimmicks.

Except for the reverse-aiming mirrors, I think the Audi A4 would appeal to you.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 18, 2008, 11:37:54 PM
Except for the reverse-aiming mirrors, I think the Audi A4 would appeal to you.

I do like that car, but as you go upmarket, the A6 and the A8 become more intrusive and annoying.

Cookie Monster

In that case, I've got a perfectly nice 1998 Honda Accord EX V6 with your name on it.

Just give me your EP3 first. :devil:
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Raza  on June 18, 2008, 03:08:34 PM
Gadgets are a part of status as well.  It doesn't matter if you need them or not.  You feel a fool if your 50 thousand dollar car doesn't have nav and your neighbor's $30K Camry does.

If I didn't want Nav, I wouldn't feel a fool, no.

Raza

And after so many people broke their rearview mirrors, they stopped doing it.  No, they have manual adjustable, but power-operated memory rearview mirrors.  So, if you set a memory position, it will power adjust all three mirrors in conjunction with your seats.  That's a pretty cool, if not necessary feature. 

It's part of the evolution of the automobile.  People try things.  Sometimes they're stupid, sometimes they revolutionize the industry.

As I've had a car with both these features, I can tell you when they've come in handy. 

The moving passenger side mirror turns off with a simple switch.  And when parallel parking, it actually becomes fairly useful, giving you a better view of your wheels and the curb.  Hell, Edmunds said that feature saved the rims on their M3 for years. 

And when parallel parking, I do fold in the mirrors, or when parked in a particularly tight lot.  When parallel parking, it's really only necessary (as far as you want to go with that word) to fold in the driver side mirror, which I still do in my Passat, which have manual folding mirrors. 

I'm with you here.  Buttons are good, straightforward, and simple.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 19, 2008, 01:04:46 AM
If I didn't want Nav, I wouldn't feel a fool, no.

You're not the type of person I'm talking about.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

nickdrinkwater

I agree with Raza that folding mirrors are useful.  I often fold my mirror in (by hand of course) when parking on the street.

sportyaccordy

OK here is some of what a $32K 2008 BMW 328i comes with standard:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2008/3/328iSedan/features_and_specs/default.aspx?enc=/eiUrYOZAxtXbrazY6tfknvs2p4czl6fdqlc7VGB7GP5XMbRQcDH+mx+QiM2etEknCx2VkpqfIPAFXe556lYDVvUpybOwrveyTU5bZ9kukI=

I don't think cutting out all the little features would bring the price down significantly.

And again, do u know what $20K will get u on the used BMW market???? A little more cash and u have E46 M3 money!

Vinsanity

I agree with Raza that the reverse-adjusting side mirror is very helpful, especially when your trunklid is taller than a midget, like on the CTS.

Speaking of trunklids, I wish mine had a power open/close feature. I hate having to put down whatever heavy load I'm carrying just to open/close the trunk. It would arguably be the most convenient power feature for me to have.

Byteme

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 19, 2008, 10:03:47 AM
I agree with Raza that the reverse-adjusting side mirror is very helpful, especially when your trunklid is taller than a midget, like on the CTS.

Speaking of trunklids, I wish mine had a power open/close feature. I hate having to put down whatever heavy load I'm carrying just to open/close the trunk. It would arguably be the most convenient power feature for me to have.

I guess it might be a safety feature.  The trunk lid, springing open could hit something, or if it malfunctions and unlatches while you are driving it would block your rearward vision.  I guess the thought is if you can use your hand to trigger the remote trunk release you can probably use that hand to raise the trunk lid.

I've never understood the rationale behind the power closing trunk lid. 

Byteme

A lot of the so-called features on modern luxury cars do nothing but annoy me. Give me a nicely trimmed and appointed, powerful, quiet car that's a joy to drive with a good climate control system (with only one set of controls), and a decent radio; and leave the gimmicks.

If I were making a "luxury" or convenience equipment list for a new car it would have:

5 or 6 speed manual.
In dash CD changer with at least 6 speakers and an aux input.
Trip computer.
10 way power driver and passenger seats
Lighted vanity mirrors
Full instrumentation
Trip computer
Power locks, with autolock in drive or reverse.
Power windows with one touch down and up on all four windows.
Hold the unlock button down on the second push and the front windows go down (great in a hot parking lot).
Flat fold down rear seat backs 60/40 split with opening controls both in the trunk and the passenger area.
Front and rear map or reading lights.
In dash GPS or a convenient place to mount an aftermarket unit (like the top of dash storage bin on the Mazda 6).
Leather or cloth seats (I actually prefer cloth)
Center console drink holders that have a cover (ala Mazda 3).
Two level console bin (again like the Mazda 3).
Front and rear power ports.
Tilt and telescope steering column.
Standard AC is fine for me.

The most worthless feature I have on one of my cars today is the autodimming rear view mirror with compass on our 6.  $200 wasted, IMHO.