Test Drive: 2008 Honda Civic LX Sedan 5AT

Started by USA_Idol, June 20, 2008, 03:33:32 PM

USA_Idol

Good:
- Better power from the 1.8L/5AT than I expected, though still no powerhouse.
- Fairly refined powertrain, smooth ride, good noise control.
- Gigantic tach is easy to read, so is the gigantic digital speedo.
- 29/36 MPG is considerably better than my '01 Focus.

Bad:
- Gauge layout might take awhile to get used to.
- Civic used to be above-average in cabin quality; now it's just average.
- G I G A N T I C  D A S H  T O P.
- Cannot see the hood because of that gigantic dash top.  Small front windows don't help visibility much.
- Seat fabric looks and feels a bit cheap.
- Throttle is WAY too sensitive.
- New car smell is overpowering.  It's almost as if Honda adds new car smell to the already strong new car smell.

Verdict:
It ain't perfect, but that fuel economy is pretty darn good and the car manages to make my Focus feel really cheap in comparison (okay, most cars do, so that is not a trait exclusive the Civic).  I'm tempted now.  VERY tempted.   :lol:

Vinsanity

It probably sounds weird, but in this class, I can see myself going for the Sentra. It's a good middle ground between the Civic's "WTF" and the Corolla's "meh"

ifcar

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 20, 2008, 03:56:59 PM
It probably sounds weird, but in this class, I can see myself going for the Sentra. It's a good middle ground between the Civic's "WTF" and the Corolla's "meh"

What appeal do you find in the Sentra over the Versa? I much prefer the latter myself, even price independent. Better mileage, better seats, nicer interior materials, better handling.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on June 20, 2008, 04:04:54 PM
What appeal do you find in the Sentra over the Versa? I much prefer the latter myself, even price independent. Better mileage, better seats, nicer interior materials, better handling.

The only problem I see the lack of a Versa SE-R Spec V.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Vinsanity

Quote from: ifcar on June 20, 2008, 04:04:54 PM

Really? I like the seats and interior better on the Sentra. And I thought they got similar mpg. It wouldn't preclude me from choosing a Versa instead, though.

USA_Idol

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 20, 2008, 03:56:59 PM

Since I may replace my Focus soon, I have only just started test driving cars.  The Civic LX was first.  Other imports on my list include Hyundai Elantra, Mazda 3, Mitsubishi Lancer, Nissan Sentra, Nissan Versa, Toyota Corolla and VW Rabbit. 

I haven't actually driven the Sentra yet.  Maybe that will be tomorrow's drive.   :lol:

the Teuton

I, too, like the Versa better than the Sentra in all guises but the SE-R and Spec V.  The Honda is taking too much from GM's old Dustbusters.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Cookie Monster

Is the Civic's 'average' quality because it's own quality has gone down or the rest of the competition has caught up?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

USA_Idol

Quote from: thecarnut on June 21, 2008, 12:38:53 AM
Is the Civic's 'average' quality because it's own quality has gone down or the rest of the competition has caught up?

I think it's because Honda is learning how to save money by skimping on cabin quality. On the plus side, switchgear still feels ultra-smooth and the front seats are very comfortable.

omicron

All I had to do was read the topic title, and I immediately felt sad. I just could not put up with driving the car for any length of time - dashboard as far as the eye can see, funny windows all over the place, odd seats, tiresome digital speedometer, and clumsy buttons and knobs protruding from every which way. Hurrah for the satisfyingly-conventional 3.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: omicron on June 24, 2008, 12:41:34 AM
All I had to do was read the topic title, and I immediately felt sad. I just could not put up with driving the car for any length of time - dashboard as far as the eye can see, funny windows all over the place, odd seats, tiresome digital speedometer, and clumsy buttons and knobs protruding from every which way. Hurrah for the satisfyingly-conventional 3.

I think the Civic is a car that divides opinion (can't be said of most Hondas).  My uncle has just bought a 2.0 litre 4-door AT 'Sport' and he's really pleased with it (though he lives in Auckland so it's a different model to the US one I think).

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 24, 2008, 03:17:50 AM
I think the Civic is a car that divides opinion (can't be said of most Hondas).  My uncle has just bought a 2.0 litre 4-door AT 'Sport' and he's really pleased with it (though he lives in Auckland so it's a different model to the US one I think).

Here's our Civic:

nickdrinkwater

Submariner

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 24, 2008, 06:25:33 AM
I found a picture of the one he has:

Different headlights, wheels, and perhaps mirrors?

Either way, its the same car.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Vinsanity

the headlights definitely look better on the NZ version (which IIRC is shared with most other countries); it looks much more upscale and less gimmicky than the US version.

the rimz look nice too.

Tave

I feel you on the gigantic dash top. I can't see the hood of my Aveo when I'm sitting in the car, and I'm pretty tall.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

Quote from: Submariner on June 24, 2008, 08:14:41 AM
Different headlights, wheels, and perhaps mirrors?

Either way, its the same car.

We get the better suspention.

omicron

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 24, 2008, 03:17:50 AM

Yes, that's the same we get. Not my cup of tea, but the Civic Type-R is marvellous in a roller-skating fruit kind of way. I think Honda Australia plans to import the 5-door hatch from Swindon, too, but given unfavourable exchange rates it will be selling right in the middle of Mazda6/Accord Euro territory.

FordSVT

I wonder if the NZ version of the Civic is packaged identically to this? Sure looks like it. This is the best looking "Civic" sedan you can buy anywhere, IMO. And it's more potent than the regular Civic, with a 2.0 L providing 155 hp. Then again, it's expensive (a Civic Si is a grand cheaper), and the CSX Type R with the 197 hp Si motor will set you back $34,000 MSRP, which is several thousand more than the potent Mazdaspeed 3. Hell, you can get a loaded Accord V6 or a nicely equipped TSX for the same price.

I don't have a problem with the price of the Civic; the powertrain, the build quality and even the exterior styling (it's grown on me). But the interior? I just can't get over it. I've tried, just can't. Dash is huge, hate the speedo, controls are laid out logically but have an unappealing look to them. The windshield and dash actually remind me a lot of the old GM "Dustbuster" minivans.

omicron

Quote from: FordSVT on June 25, 2008, 09:59:52 PM
I wonder if the NZ version of the Civic is packaged identically to this? Sure looks like it. This is the best looking "Civic" sedan you can buy anywhere, IMO. And it's more potent than the regular Civic, with a 2.0 L providing 155 hp. Then again, it's expensive (a Civic Si is a grand cheaper), and the CSX Type R with the 197 hp Si motor will set you back $34,000 MSRP, which is several thousand more than the potent Mazdaspeed 3. Hell, you can get a loaded Accord V6 or a nicely equipped TSX for the same price.

I don't have a problem with the price of the Civic; the powertrain, the build quality and even the exterior styling (it's grown on me). But the interior? I just can't get over it. I've tried, just can't. Dash is huge, hate the speedo, controls are laid out logically but have an unappealing look to them. The windshield and dash actually remind me a lot of the old GM "Dustbuster" minivans.

In both Australia and New Zealand you can get the 155hp Civic 2.0 - only in Sport specification in Australia, but in both mid and top Sport specification in NZ. On the other hand, you can choose either a 5-speed automatic or 5-speed manual in the Australian car, whereas it's automatic-only for the Kiwis. It's priced around a decently-specified Mazda3 2.3.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: FordSVT on June 25, 2008, 09:59:52 PM

I'm surprised a CSX is as pricey as a TSX.  I can understand an Accord Euro being priced the same as a V6 but I can't see any advantages for choosing the CSX over the TSX except for if you want a smaller car.

Quote from: omicron on June 26, 2008, 01:04:23 AM

In both Australia and New Zealand you can get the 155hp Civic 2.0 - only in Sport specification in Australia, but in both mid and top Sport specification in NZ. On the other hand, you can choose either a 5-speed automatic or 5-speed manual in the Australian car, whereas it's automatic-only for the Kiwis. It's priced around a decently-specified Mazda3 2.3.

Thanks for the pics, that was what I was looking for before.  Too bad it's an auto only in NZ, though...