LF-A 552bhp 9000 rpm 4.8L 210mph top speed and a 7:24 ringtime.

Started by 565, June 22, 2008, 07:06:23 AM

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/214086/lexus_lfa.html

"The king is dead, long live the king! Lexus? long-awaited LF-A has unofficially smashed the lap record at Germany?s N?rburgring, with a time of seven minutes, 24 seconds. That beats Porsche?s new GT2 by a second and makes the Lexus the King of the ?Ring. Company insiders have revealed that a 4.8-litre V10 ? co-developed with Yamaha ? powered the record-breaking test mule. It revs to 9,000rpm and pumps out 552bhp. Combined with a highly aerodynamic body, it should enable the LF-A to hit 210mph."

So I guess that rumored 7:24 ring time has been confirmed.  Damn the goal posts just keep moving for the ZR1.

Eye of the Tiger

No, Lexus, you cannot have me. I will not give in. I still hate you.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sportyaccordy

Yea but it costs $500K

For that much money I could make a Civic break the 7:00 mark

Submariner

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 22, 2008, 08:42:02 AM
Yea but it costs $500K

For that much money I could make a Civic break the 7:00 mark

Is it really? (the link isnt working)

They are going to have a hard time moving those at that price.

***edit*** I didn't see anything mentioning price on the website.

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

the Teuton

If Lexus got it into R8 territory, pricewise, I think it would sell.  Right now, I doubt it.  It's a Lexus.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sandertheshark

GoCougs

I don't think they'll have any problem selling every one that they make.

I'm surprised the company spent so much time and effort that can't be leveraged elsewhere in the product lineup.

Sigma Projects

I thought the price rumors have kept jumping from 100K~200K, no one said $500K. I wonder where they're getting the power specs from?
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

hotrodalex

Quote from: sandertheshark on June 22, 2008, 12:19:04 PM
Never have I cared so little about something so fast.

Same here. I'd rather have a ZR1 or even a GTR.

FlatBlackCaddy

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FlatBlackCaddy

I hope this is a sign that toyota intends to start throwing all it's huge cash reserves at low volume low usage platforms for the sake of performance visibility in lower cost markets.

sandertheshark

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 22, 2008, 07:50:12 PM
I hope this is a sign that toyota intends to start throwing all it's huge cash reserves at low volume low usage platforms for the sake of performance visibility in lower cost markets.

I think it's a sign that Toyota intends to do more cocaine.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Sigma Projects

A company comes out with something interesting and people just go POS, boring!, bleh it's Toyota's lames ass attempt to making a Super Car. As an auto enthusiast I'm really interested. I can honestly say I have a bias towards hating Ford, but when ford comes out with some cool car, or fast car I'm interested. Even if I don't care about the car and the engine is interesting, why not even seem interested in that?

It's not every day that Japan makes an engine that is similar to what Ferrari makes. Heck how often does anyone make a 9K rpm V8?

I just don't understand why people are so callous when it comes to the LF-A?

Middle_Path

Pic related and I'm taking the over not the under. Nevermind.

You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

nickdrinkwater

Good time, but I would like to see how much quicker it would have lapped the 'Ring if it was carrying the heritage of a Mercedes badge.  My guess is that the added prestige would have knocked off at least a couple of seconds.

AltinD

Quote from: 565 on June 22, 2008, 07:06:23 AM... It revs to 9,000rpm and pumps out 552bhp. Combined with a highly aerodynamic body, it should enable the LF-A to hit 210mph."

Why don't they test the car in the NARDO cirquit to see if that's the case.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

hotrodalex

Quote from: Sigma Projects on June 23, 2008, 01:03:19 AM
A company comes out with something interesting and people just go POS, boring!, bleh it's Toyota's lames ass attempt to making a Super Car. As an auto enthusiast I'm really interested. I can honestly say I have a bias towards hating Ford, but when ford comes out with some cool car, or fast car I'm interested. Even if I don't care about the car and the engine is interesting, why not even seem interested in that?

It's not every day that Japan makes an engine that is similar to what Ferrari makes. Heck how often does anyone make a 9K rpm V8?

I just don't understand why people are so callous when it comes to the LF-A?

With the influx of 'Ring beaters, 'Ring times just don't excite me anymore. I want a good looking car that is fun to drive and mess around in. I don't think Lexus will provide me with that.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 23, 2008, 08:23:22 PM
With the influx of 'Ring beaters, 'Ring times just don't excite me anymore. I want a good looking car that is fun to drive and mess around in. I don't think Lexus will provide me with that.
Who cares, you probably won't be able to afford one anyways.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Sigma Projects

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 23, 2008, 08:23:22 PM

So if they run it on the ring it becomes boring? It's just another comparison to use for showing how well a car performs. I don't think it will have an issues of being fun to drive in. And yea, I think NONE of us on here will be able to own one of these bad boys, but it'll keep my interested for sure.

I remember that Toyota really wanted the car to get over 210mph like 220, I guess they won't be able to make it do that even with all the aero tweaks.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Sigma Projects on June 24, 2008, 02:10:33 AM
So if they run it on the ring it becomes boring? It's just another comparison to use for showing how well a car performs. I don't think it will have an issues of being fun to drive in. And yea, I think NONE of us on here will be able to own one of these bad boys, but it'll keep my interested for sure.

I remember that Toyota really wanted the car to get over 210mph like 220, I guess they won't be able to make it do that even with all the aero tweaks.
I am with the other dude. You can't exploit the performace of cars like this on the street, so what is the point of tuning them for the Ring? With enough cash it's not hard to beat a lap record. To make a memorable, affordable, user-friendly car with phenomenal performance and a legacy worth remembering is a better objective, IMO

FoMoJo

It looks pretty boring...

Truth be told, I rather have one of these...

"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Vinsanity

While I'm disappointed that it's likely to cost upward of $200k, there's no doubt how pheonomenal of a car it is, and what this means for Lexus/Toyota. I have a feeling that if this were a car developed by any of the Euro luxo brands, there would be much more enthusiasm shown here.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

the Teuton

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 24, 2008, 11:30:51 AM
While I'm disappointed that it's likely to cost upward of $200k, there's no doubt how pheonomenal of a car it is, and what this means for Lexus/Toyota. I have a feeling that if this were a car developed by any of the Euro luxo brands, there would be much more enthusiasm shown here.

If it were $70,000 and called Supra, I'd be all over this like a fat kid on a chocolate cake.  Unfortunately, it isn't.

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sportyaccordy

Quote from: the Teuton on June 24, 2008, 05:51:12 PM
If it were $70,000 and called Supra, I'd be all over this like a fat kid on a chocolate cake.  Unfortunately, it isn't.

I feel like Toyota could have got the same results with what would amount to an IS-F coupe.

JYODER240

Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be another souless robot.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Sigma Projects

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 24, 2008, 07:10:47 AM
I am with the other dude. You can't exploit the performace of cars like this on the street, so what is the point of tuning them for the Ring? With enough cash it's not hard to beat a lap record. To make a memorable, affordable, user-friendly car with phenomenal performance and a legacy worth remembering is a better objective, IMO

legally you can't exploit a car's limit with 90% of the cars that are available. Like anyone can take a Zonda F on the streets and do what they do on the RING? Come on, wtf. If you want something that looks good and fun to drive buy a used vehicle that you think looks good and throw tons of cash at it, that will net you something much more rewarding. But to say "oh it's super fast, but you can't do that on the streets... so who cares" What kind of attitude is that? Why drool over Ferraris? Or any sports car? The most fun you'll have on the street with any car and staying within the legal limits is a car that feels like a go-kart.