Your first car mod?

Started by the Teuton, June 22, 2008, 06:24:20 PM

What would be the first thing you'd upgrade on your car?

Wheels/Tires
9 (34.6%)
Suspension
5 (19.2%)
Stereo
1 (3.8%)
Interior/Accents
2 (7.7%)
Engine
4 (15.4%)
Exterior/Paint
1 (3.8%)
Other
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

the Teuton

Assuming you just bought a car, new or not, what would be the first thing you'd modify?  Some people seem to have a routine with each new car such as throwing some Ds on the bitch, and others make it up as they go along...

I chose wheels and tires because that's the first thing I bought for my car when I got it, stuff-wise, my WRX wheels (which are still at home in a garage right now  :cry:)
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Depends on the car, but most likely the brakes.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

I seem to like cutting holes in airfilter boxes. I just can't afford to do anything else.  :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Transmission/Clutch/Flywheel, I want to be able to utalize the power the car currently has.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on June 22, 2008, 06:28:51 PM
Transmission/Clutch/Flywheel, I want to be able to utalize the power the car currently has.

What are you talking about?  :nutty:  :lol:

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on June 22, 2008, 06:28:20 PM
I seem to like cutting holes in airfilter boxes. I just can't afford to do anything else.  :lol:

Besides making a whooshing noise, does it really accomplish anything?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on June 22, 2008, 06:32:32 PM

No. :lol:

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on June 22, 2008, 06:32:32 PM

Hey, that whooshing noise is an accomplishment in it's own right!  :lol:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

CALL_911

Depends, but most likely the engine. Power=awesome.  :rockon:

And maybe a week after that, I would tinker with the suspension and tires.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

I've never heard of a new car being sold with a slipping clutch or a smoked transmission. Lighter flywheel? Sure, some cars could use one, but I'm not about to rip apart the drivetrain on a brand new car for such a minor performance increase.

First thing I want to do to a new car when I buy it usually involves changing the ECU program somehow. It's relatively cheap, easy to do and undo, and pretty effective on most cars.

Its a useless waste of time on an S2000 though.

Unless of course the car was sold with horribly inappropriate tires (like my Civic was), in that case I might make a call to Tirerack on the way home from the dealer.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Oh, I failed to se this also included used cars.

In that case, new tires would likely be my first stop. I've never found a used car that wasn't been sold with either worn down/mismatched good tires or cheap off-brand sausage casings.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 22, 2008, 07:31:09 PM
Oh, I failed to se this also included used cars.

In that case, new tires would likely be my first stop. I've never found a used car that wasn't been sold with either worn down/mismatched good tires or cheap off-brand sausage casings.

Tires seem to be the second thing I usually do, after cutting a hole somewhere in the intake tract.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on June 22, 2008, 07:38:46 PM
Tires seem to be the second thing I usually do, after cutting a hole somewhere in the intake tract.

Holes in the exhaust system are more effective noisemakers.

MX793

Oops, I should have read the first post before voting.  I thought the intent was what the first car mod we've ever performed was, not a "what if" question.  As such, I voted stereo (the first mod I did on a car).

If I just bought a car, the first mod would likely be wheels/tires, unless it already had some awesome performance tires on it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sandertheshark

sandertheshark

I dare you to make less sense.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 22, 2008, 07:46:41 PM
Holes in the exhaust system are more effective noisemakers.

people will hate me, cops will pull me over and it won't pass inspection :nono:
if it wasn't for other people, i'd run straight pipes on everything, because i like it

Laconian

Uhhh, the first mod was an intake, but my next "mod" will surely be a complete re-do of the stereo. The speakers and the headunit are all shite and need to be replaced. I am not exaggerating, the right door speaker is actually blown to the point of being completely inaudible.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: sandertheshark on June 22, 2008, 07:51:59 PM
I dare you to make less sense.

Blinkers. Many cars today are not able to signal with ease or with a fluid motion that K&M's $7,000 upgrade can do.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on June 22, 2008, 08:43:36 PM
Blinkers. Many cars today are not able to signal with ease or with a fluid motion that K&M's $7,000 upgrade can do.

You should just change the fluid http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=6

Gotta-Qik-C7

New car - Wheels and tires
Used car- Stereo
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

I chose suspension, but that's only if the car already has plenty of power.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Raza  on June 22, 2008, 09:41:50 PM
I chose suspension, but that's only if the car already has plenty of power.

Same here. Even if the car has a normal amount of power, I like doing suspension first. That way when I mod the engine, the suspension can handle it and I won't run it off the road.

sportyaccordy

I go through the same routine with every car

Suspension (springs/shocks)
Intake/Exhaust
Audio

From there I start to attack specific weaknesses like brakes, engine choke points etc. I cannot leave my cars stock

NomisR

Others - Safety Equipment.

Harness and HANS device, and probably a upgraded rear toe brace because they're also prone to failure. 

ChrisV

Depends on the car, and the intent of the purchase. Some cars are intended to be DDs, and may not get much of anything. Some cars are meant as performance cars and the mods depend on how they start out. Some cars are meant as race cars, and the mods depend on the racing class. Some cars are meant as show cars, and the mods are dependant on what design criteria I am going with (is it going to be a mild custom or a full custom?).

There is no pattern I ever use for my cars.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Vinsanity

I chose wheels/tires because the ones on my car look pathetic. It's like putting on a pair of plain old Chuck Taylor's on a girl who should be wearing Prada's.

To be honest, though, with the weather we're having out here, I should really get the windows tinted before anything else.

I'd also love to see a two-tone paint job on the car with some interior customizations I'm afraid to mention on this board, but that would put me in a position where I should've just bought a CTS-V instead :banghead:

edit: I'd also like to upgrade to all the cutting-edge entertainment goodies the new CTS has as well, but I'm better off waiting to trade up for a newer one.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 23, 2008, 10:58:58 AM
I chose wheels/tires because the ones on my car look pathetic. It's like putting on a pair of plain old Chuck Taylor's on a girl who should be wearing Prada's.

To be honest, though, with the weather we're having out here, I should really get the windows tinted before anything else.

I'd also love to see a two-tone paint job on the car with some interior customizations I'm afraid to mention on this board, but that would put me in a position where I should've just bought a CTS-V instead :banghead:
Are you from one of those places like Bankhead or Houston...???

Vinsanity

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 23, 2008, 11:03:35 AM
Are you from one of those places like Bankhead or Houston...???

LOL nope, SoCal born and raised, but I did spend 3 years living in GA :thumbsup:

MrH

It wasn't the first mod I did to my car, but one of the first few.

I'd most likely go with a shorter shifter, heavier shift knob, and new shifter bushings.  Hands down one of the cheaper mods I've done, and one of the more noticable ones too.  Everyday, I'm glad I did it.  No more trucker shifts for me.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV