Your first car mod?

Started by the Teuton, June 22, 2008, 06:24:20 PM

What would be the first thing you'd upgrade on your car?

Wheels/Tires
9 (34.6%)
Suspension
5 (19.2%)
Stereo
1 (3.8%)
Interior/Accents
2 (7.7%)
Engine
4 (15.4%)
Exterior/Paint
1 (3.8%)
Other
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

SVT666

Tires.  Always.  They are the only thing that actually physically connects you to the road.  Brakes generally won't improve stopping distances until you get stickier tires and stickier tires let your new suspension get everything out of the car.

After I get tires for the SVT, my next mods are short throw shifter, tune, and brakes.

heelntoe

i would also change the tyres first. adding some lighter alloy wheels is usually high on the list too.
@heelntoe

Tave

The first thing I did to my 4Runner was a CD player. First thing to the Aveo was a set of nice Yokohamas. The OEM Optimo H420s are notoriously feeble. Some people put as little as 8K on them before they needed to be changed. I feel like demanding a $500 refund from GM.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

NomisR

Quote from: heelntoe on June 23, 2008, 11:43:59 AM
i would also change the tyres first. adding some lighter alloy wheels is usually high on the list too.

No No No!! It's all about BIG Bling Bling 25" Rims with spinners!! :lol:

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on June 23, 2008, 10:15:19 AM
Depends on the car, and the intent of the purchase. Some cars are intended to be DDs, and may not get much of anything. Some cars are meant as performance cars and the mods depend on how they start out. Some cars are meant as race cars, and the mods depend on the racing class. Some cars are meant as show cars, and the mods are dependant on what design criteria I am going with (is it going to be a mild custom or a full custom?).

There is no pattern I ever use for my cars.

I was just thinking about that.

Also, saying that there's one definitive modification that should be done first is a bit insane.  If you have a car with 1000bhp, why would you need more power?  If you have a race-quality suspension that rides well, why mod the suspension? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on June 23, 2008, 02:52:41 PM

Also, saying that there's one definitive modification that should be done first is a bit insane.  If you have a car with 1000bhp, why would you need more power?  If you have a race-quality suspension that rides well, why mod the suspension? 

You can never have too much power?  I want one thousand and one hp so I can one up the guy next door with the same car.

And some people still think some suspensions are too stiff, they prefer boat like suspension?  But then again, nobody modifies their suspension to ride softer.

Tave

Quote from: NomisR on June 23, 2008, 02:57:25 PM
And some people still think some suspensions are too stiff, they prefer boat like suspension?  But then again, nobody modifies their suspension to ride softer.

Not entirely true. People put airbags on cars that don't come with them, especially if they want to Hit teh Switchezzzz. :lol:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on June 23, 2008, 02:57:25 PM
You can never have too much power?  I want one thousand and one hp so I can one up the guy next door with the same car.

I meant to say "want". 

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

Quote from: Tave on June 23, 2008, 03:01:17 PM
Not entirely true. People put airbags on cars that don't come with them, especially if they want to Hit teh Switchezzzz. :lol:

I don't think it'll ride "softer" though, and a lot of times, worse. 

But they can ride lopsided with one wheel in the air!  :lol:

Tave

I thought airbags were really comfortable.

ChrisV

Quote from: Tave on June 23, 2008, 03:43:14 PM
I thought airbags were really comfortable.

Compared to very stiff, short springs, they are VERY comfortable. I definitely want a set on the Comet.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Eye of the Tiger

The first thing I did to my first car, the '88 Samurai, I think was a steering wheel cover, then new fog lights, and a stereo. Unfortunately, I wasn't into offroading much back then; I just wanted a car.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on June 23, 2008, 02:52:41 PM

Well to me, unless it is something like an M3 or Ferrari (hell, I would change the suspension on an E36), 9 times out of 10 the car could use stiffer springs and faster low speed damping. And of course, there's the issue of wheel gap...

nickdrinkwater

Replaced the cassette player with a CD :lol:

Otherwise, not much except for fitting some more powerful headlight bulbs.

Cookie Monster

Suspension first, then wheels and tires, then engine (intake, exhaust).
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Complete interior ripout. All Sound insulation gone, extra seats, airbags......everything.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 2o6 on June 24, 2008, 10:43:18 AM
Complete interior ripout. All Sound insulation gone, extra seats, airbags......everything.

2o6

Vinsanity

Quote from: 2o6 on June 24, 2008, 11:06:08 AM
They should sell all cars with no doors.

I like being able to leave stuff in my car without people being able to take it, thank you.

heelntoe

Quote from: NomisR on June 23, 2008, 02:45:07 PM
No No No!! It's all about BIG Bling Bling 25" Rims with spinners!! :lol:
that would be a huge upgrade, considering we have 14" steelies. hehe.
@heelntoe

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on June 24, 2008, 10:43:18 AM

You really know how to make no sense, don't you.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

NomisR

Quote from: heelntoe on June 24, 2008, 01:10:17 PM
that would be a huge upgrade, considering we have 14" steelies. hehe.

Well, steelies may actually be lighter than the 22" w/ spinners though.  hehe

Onslaught

My first car was a pick up truck back in high school.  And all I did to it was paint it up and put a booming system in it.

As for performance parts I've only done things to the MX-5. I think the first was my exhaust system. Or it could have been the
rims? Been too long for me to know.

r0tor

I think the first mods on my RX8 were cosmetic... tires/wheels/suspension were awesome and I was in no rush to void my warranty -shrug-
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Submariner

Quote from: sandertheshark on June 22, 2008, 07:51:59 PM
I dare you to make less sense.

hwdvgyhweqfyrd2g92g23qvhgxqavcjbvqjkqlkgcjuvujq1hdbvw1iugcbi27w2s`y2qw9d8xgf1wyhdvxyhw1fvd
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Byteme

Install the mount for the radar detector above the rear view mirror and hardwire the power cord.   Hide the wiring above the headiner and behind the A pillar moulding.

JYODER240

Quote from: r0tor on June 30, 2008, 06:51:44 AM
I think the first mods on my RX8 were cosmetic... tires/wheels/suspension were awesome and I was in no rush to void my warranty -shrug-

It would be tough to void your warranty by doing tire/wheels, or suspension mods. The dealership has to prove that the mod caused the problem.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Submariner

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 01, 2008, 09:25:29 AM
It would be tough to void your warranty by doing tire/wheels, or suspension mods. The dealership has to prove that the mod caused the problem.

OR in Mitsubishi's case, search for you on youtube, and LOL you out of the dealership.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

sportyaccordy

I'm switching it up this time... first mod, motor swap :ohyeah: