Your first car mod?

Started by the Teuton, June 22, 2008, 06:24:20 PM

What would be the first thing you'd upgrade on your car?

Wheels/Tires
9 (34.6%)
Suspension
5 (19.2%)
Stereo
1 (3.8%)
Interior/Accents
2 (7.7%)
Engine
4 (15.4%)
Exterior/Paint
1 (3.8%)
Other
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

giant_mtb

Interior/Accents for me.  Not that I wouldn't be thinking about bigger and better things (like power or handling), but off the bat I'd probably not be in the mood to spend a lot of money, and there are a lot of inexpensive and neat things you can do to your interior to make it so much cooler.

Submariner

My car came with a few light mods (ECU, airbox, exhaust) At that point, a lot of money on engine mods would yeild little power.  A blower setup would be the next logical step...for close to 10 grand.

As for the suspension, it's a luxury car, so it's meant to have a slightly softer ride, but it's still more than competent enough for the back roads.

I love the look of the M 18's, and the tires are excellent. 

So what is different?

-Upgraded fog's, high beams, and xenon low beams
-Chrome door locks (from the 750)
-Wood inlay on the overhead console and rear ashtrays (from the 750)
-Chrome surrounds on the console mounted hazard and door lock switch (from the 750)

Some day, If I do decide to keep the car, and have some cash laying around, there is a phenomenal Mercedes restoration/dealership near Boston.  They are experts in upholstery (and full body, engine restorations)  I would love a full leather, two tone interior similar to what you get in a 750. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Byteme

The first mod I did on my first car was replacing the oil bath air cleaner with a paper filter air cleaner.

The second was installing a Lear combination 4 and 8 track stereo tape player.

Car was a 63 Chevy Belaire

Danish

Cross drilled brake lines and a radiator insulator
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Danish

Quote from: 2o6 on June 22, 2008, 06:28:51 PM
Transmission/Clutch/Flywheel, I want to be able to utalize the power the car currently has.
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

SVT666

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 01, 2008, 09:25:29 AM
It would be tough to void your warranty by doing tire/wheels, or suspension mods. The dealership has to prove that the mod caused the problem.
I think he meant that the wheels/tires/suspension was all he did because he didn't want to void the warranty.

SVT666

The first mod I'm doing to the SVT is the tune.  The tires are shot and need replacing but with fall coming up, I'm going to make these tires last until I put on winter tires and then buy my new tires in the spring.

Danish

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 15, 2008, 12:12:57 PM
The first mod I'm doing to the SVT is the tune.  The tires are shot and need replacing but with fall coming up, I'm going to make these tires last until I put on winter tires and then buy my new tires in the spring.

Get an aftermarket clutch belt, I hear they reduce drivetrain losses by 7.27453%

NomisR

Quote from: Danish on August 15, 2008, 12:53:37 PM
Get an aftermarket clutch belt, I hear they reduce drivetrain losses by 7.27453%

He needs an engine oil bypass kit

Raza

Tires and maybe suspension probably in a year. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

I suppose I could start a new thread, but what do you guys think of ContiExtremeContacts?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

All Season Tires?? Pshhhhhhhh

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on August 15, 2008, 05:55:57 PM
All Season Tires?? Pshhhhhhhh

Ultra High Performance all seasons!

Besides, I live in a part of the country that has all the seasons. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=14997.msg862321#msg862321 date=1218844265
I suppose I could start a new thread, but what do you guys think of ContiExtremeContacts?

I have the ContiSportContacts.  Tread life isn't great, but they are very sticky.  Mine hydroplane if you spit on them though.  Of course, they aren't the same tires you're talking about though.  I'm getting either the Falken ST115 or the Nitto NeoGen in the spring.  The Falkens have better tread life, but the NeoGens are stickier.  Both are reasonably priced.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 15, 2008, 11:53:05 PM
I have the ContiSportContacts.  Tread life isn't great, but they are very sticky.  Mine hydroplane if you spit on them though.  Of course, they aren't the same tires you're talking about though.  I'm getting either the Falken ST115 or the Nitto NeoGen in the spring.  The Falkens have better tread life, but the NeoGens are stickier.  Both are reasonably priced.

I had ContiSportContact2s on the Boxster.  That's some serious rubber for your car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=14997.msg862540#msg862540 date=1218866058
I had ContiSportContact2s on the Boxster.  That's some serious rubber for your car.
I drive pretty hard...pretty much every day.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 16, 2008, 12:11:54 AM
I drive pretty hard...pretty much every day.

Yeah, but with that kind of treadwear, there's no way running those tires could be cost effective.  And it's not like the Focus has an overabundance of power.  And don't you get some pretty bad weather up there?  I wouldn't want to run summer tires on a car year round in Canada.  Unless all those stories of -40 degree winters is just to keep us Americans from getting at your superb fudge. 

Even with the power on the Wolf I'm not looking at summer tires; high performance all seasons, sure, but not summers.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

I am sure he runs a separate set of snow tires.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=14997.msg862689#msg862689 date=1218895624
Yeah, but with that kind of treadwear, there's no way running those tires could be cost effective.  And it's not like the Focus has an overabundance of power. 
What does lots of power have to do with those tires?  It's all about handling and keeping the tires planted in the corners.

QuoteAnd don't you get some pretty bad weather up there?  I wouldn't want to run summer tires on a car year round in Canada.  Unless all those stories of -40 degree winters is just to keep us Americans from getting at your superb fudge. 
Where I live, we get 3 months of winter.  We don't get a lot of snow right in the valley, but if I want to leave town I have to climb 3000 ft, so I run dedicated snow tires in the winter.

QuoteEven with the power on the Wolf I'm not looking at summer tires; high performance all seasons, sure, but not summers.
Power has nothing to do with tire choice.  Different widths, yes, but not the tires themselves.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 16, 2008, 10:25:50 AM
Power has nothing to do with tire choice.  Different widths, yes, but not the tires themselves.

Wut?

SVT666

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 16, 2008, 11:23:21 AM
Wut?
What's so hard to understand?  Picking an Ultra High Performance Summer tire for the SVT Focus makes sense.  The handling abilities justify it.  In fact the Continental ContiSportContact came stock on the car.  The stickier the tire, the higher the performance capabilities.  If my Focus had 300 hp I would pick the same tire but in a wider width.  The tires on my short list for next spring are the Nitto NeoGen and the Falken ST115.  Both are Z-Rated Ultra High Performance tires.  During my research on tires I focused on:

1. Dry Traction
2. Wet Traction
3. Cornering Stability
4. Steering Response
5. Resistance to Hydroplaning
6. Quiet
7. Price

It turns out these two tires excel in all these areas.

280Z Turbo

Having a sticky compound is pretty important when you have a lot of power too.

SVT666

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 16, 2008, 10:34:24 PM
Having a sticky compound is pretty important when you have a lot of power too.
Never said it wasn't.  I said, you don't have to have a lot of power to justify a tire of that caliber.  My post wasn't clear on that...I apologize.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 16, 2008, 10:50:49 PM
Never said it wasn't.  I said, you don't have to have a lot of power to justify a tire of that caliber.  My post wasn't clear on that...I apologize.

Ah, I see. 

And do you run winter tires as well?

The treadwear rating on the ContiSport3 is 280.  I guess that's not that bad. 

Although, I'd like to see the grip differences between a tire like that (280 AA A rated) and a tire like the ContiExtreme (400 AA A). 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=14997.msg863830#msg863830 date=1219179987
Ah, I see. 

And do you run winter tires as well?

The treadwear rating on the ContiSport3 is 280.  I guess that's not that bad. 

Although, I'd like to see the grip differences between a tire like that (280 AA A rated) and a tire like the ContiExtreme (400 AA A). 
280 is pretty soft.  It will wear faster then your bank account might like if you drive pretty hard.  The Nitto NeoGens that I want to get are a 260 rating which is even softer, though the Falkens I'm also looking at have a 320 rating so they should last a lot longer, though they won't be quite as sticky.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

My front MXV4s lasted 12K and they were 400 A A.  And those were shit tires. 

I think the tire rating system needs an overhaul.  Is there a company/magazine that torture tests/reviews tires?  Other than some consumer reviews on Tire Rack, there isn't much out there if I want to learn about tire characteristics.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Secret Chimp

My very first were my road-illegal Hella H4s (choosing between seeing pedestrians and street signs and blinding people lol) but I usually go with cone-n-tube intake. It equals 4-cylinder dong enlarger under the hood. Every car I get is losing its factory intake, unless it has carbs with an air cleaner on top, in which case that bitch is wearing a cone filter like a fez.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.