2009 ford flex

Started by Submariner, June 23, 2008, 11:54:25 PM

the Teuton

Quote from: JWC on July 12, 2008, 10:21:45 PM
Yeah, but if you look at the majority of people building hot rod wagons, it is a boomer reliving his childhood.

As I said, we call it a station wagon, Ford calls it a cross-over and gave it a VIN usually equated to trucks.

Because this thing will help Ford with their CAFE truck averages a lot.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Nethead

We'll give this vehicle a serious look in the year that we decide to trade our minivan, which is only five years old and going strong.  That is, of course, if we still think maintaining a seven-passenger capacity has significant relevance to us at that time.  But the market may have other vehicles we'd want more by that distant future date.  The three vehicles we would consider today are the Flex, the Mini, and an '05 Mustang--the Flex would replace the Windstar, the Mini would replace the Focus, and the Mustang would be an additional vehicle. 

But by the time these two current vehicles are due for a trade, the universal Focus will be available, and there might even be a "Latter Day xB" Scion we'd like even more than the Flex.  No rush--seven-passenger vehicles aren't items you rush out and buy just because you can.  Ya gotta consider how frequently a genuine need for a seven-passenger capacity comes up (or the need for the cargo volume you have in a seven-passenger vehicle with two rows of seats removed), and how inconvenienced you might be if you didn't  have it.  We've had a van or a minivan since we bought the Dodge B-150 Prospector in the Fall of 1982, and we have not regretted having such cargo/passenger capacity conveniently in the garage on at least a thousand occasions.  We might could downsize to an xB-cargo-capacity vehicle, but downsizing to a PT Cruiser right now would be a sea change.  Still, if the spatial needs just aren't there and the fuel prices make even V6s the height of frivolous folly, a PT Cruiser could  wind up in the garage...   
So many stairs...so little time...

MX793

I saw one of these out of the interstate yesterday afternoon (going the opposite way).  Can't say I was all that impressed with the styling based on the glimpse I saw.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

I've seen one in front of each Ford dealer I've driven past.  It looks best in black.  I saw one on the road this morning on my way to work.  It was silver grey.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

hotrodalex

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 21, 2008, 09:45:49 AM
I've seen one in front of each Ford dealer I've driven past.  It looks best in black.  I saw one on the road this morning on my way to work.  It was silver grey.

I agree. I would consider a black one if I was looking for this type of car. It looks like a great car. My only complaint is the dash is a bit bland compared to the rest of it.

ChrisV

I saw a dark red one at the local Ford dealer, in a row of Explorers and Expeditions. Actually looked small in that company.

I like the way they look in real life vs pictures.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT666

I like it, but my wife says it's ugly.  So we won't be getting it.

Vinsanity

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 22, 2008, 10:09:34 AM
I like it, but my wife says it's ugly.  So we won't be getting it.

That's unfortunate. I always thought of it as a non-emasculated Freestyle ...

Actually, that seems about right ;)

CMan

Ford's PR department says, ?The distinctive design of the new 2009 Ford Flex provokes and polarizes opinions. With its signature side grooves, all-black greenhouse and distinct roof, it is like no other vehicle on the road.?

Phooey. The Flex is nothing more than a big ol' square station wagon. When will I be able to order it with wood paneling?

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 26, 2008, 08:43:28 AM
I'm going to buy a tube radio so we can huddle round it and, by the light of a single candle, listen to President Obama's fireside chats.

2o6

Wood paneling would be hot...........didn't A&C do a chop of that?

Nethead

CMan:   Nope.  What you have here is a Maxi Cooper--actually, since it has four doors, it's a Maxi Cooper Clubman... :lol:

Still, for vehicles this size and passenger capacity, it's the vehicle I prefer in this price range, although I'd like it more if they'd introduce a de-contented version that lists for less.

Catman

My wife says it's too boxy.  I don't think this vehicle is going to do well. Just a gut feeling.

Nethead

Quote from: Catman on July 23, 2008, 06:16:05 PM
My wife says it's too boxy.  I don't think this vehicle is going to do well. Just a gut feeling.

Catman:  It ain't  as boxy as a minivan.  Nevertheless, that does not  mean it will do well.  It has great features and all, but it comes at a tall price.  Price is BIG in the minivan marketplace, else there'd only be the pricey Sienna...

ifcar

It's certainly boxier than a minivan.

Byteme

Quote from: Catman on July 23, 2008, 06:16:05 PM

+1

My first thought when I saw it that someone sneaked into Ford's design studio and took all their french curves.  The darn thing is just too boxy.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Vinsanity

it be FWD. or AWD.

I like how boxy it is. I'd take this any day over the established mommy-mobiles.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 24, 2008, 12:08:17 PM
it be FWD. or AWD.

I like how boxy it is. I'd take this any day over the established mommy-mobiles.
I like it.  Distinctive in a crowd of humdrum family haulers. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

ifcar

I've seen a few on the streets now, and the impression I always get isn't that it's boxy, it's that it's boring. The shape is hardly grounbreaking as a slightly shrunken Suburban, and there are no standout details. It doesn't give the impression of a new design, more like one that's 3 or 4 years old.

Vinsanity

Quote from: ifcar on July 24, 2008, 02:13:39 PM
It doesn't give the impression of a new design, more like one that's 3 or 4 years old.

Well, I guess we have the existance of the Scion xB to thank for that.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on July 24, 2008, 02:13:39 PM
I've seen a few on the streets now, and the impression I always get isn't that it's boxy, it's that it's boring. The shape is hardly grounbreaking as a slightly shrunken Suburban, and there are no standout details. It doesn't give the impression of a new design, more like one that's 3 or 4 years old.

I like it, and think it cleanly and nicely detailed. By design, none of them are "standout" details, rather they harmonize with the rest of the vehicle.

It's certainly one of the ten nicest looking mainstream cars produced today.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 24, 2008, 02:20:41 PM

............who has to thank Nissan for it's Cube.

ifcar

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 24, 2008, 02:20:41 PM

I don't think it looks anything like the xB, which had an interesting look because of its stumpy proportions. The Flex is a low-roofed take on a ten-year-old Chevrolet Suburban, and it's attractive enough, but I don't think it's as radically styled as Ford seems to.

MX793

Quote from: ifcar on July 24, 2008, 06:22:47 PM
I don't think it looks anything like the xB, which had an interesting look because of its stumpy proportions. The Flex is a low-roofed take on a ten-year-old Chevrolet Suburban, and it's attractive enough, but I don't think it's as radically styled as Ford seems to.

But it has such cutting edge styling features like the ribbed door panels and a white roof....
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on July 24, 2008, 06:22:47 PM

It looks less like an old Suburban than it does an xB. In any case, "radical" has generally not meant "attractive," and many times simply means "ages quickly."
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Granted, the Flex is not the most original, but you can't deny that the side strakes, contrasting roof, and all the silver "blingage" make it an attention-grabber. It's a good thing, because this time Ford actually has a decent product to back it up.

ifcar

That's only on the Limited model. Most Flexes are not two-tone.

ifcar

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 24, 2008, 06:41:20 PM
It looks less like an old Suburban than it does an xB. In any case, "radical" has generally not meant "attractive," and many times simply means "ages quickly."

I see two long boxy wagons and one short boxy wagon. The Flex is pre-aged.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on July 24, 2008, 06:55:04 PM

I see two long boxy wagons and one short boxy wagon. The Flex is pre-aged.

You certainly have a gift for missing the forest because there are too many trees in the way.

Vinsanity

Which is why I'd like for them to come out with a shorter 5-passenger version shortly. The Edge looks cool and all, but for me, an SUV/crossover thing without any more room than a sedan is pointless. And it would at least have the potential for better mpg.