2009 ford flex

Started by Submariner, June 23, 2008, 11:54:25 PM

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on July 24, 2008, 06:55:04 PM

I see two long boxy wagons and one short boxy wagon. The Flex is pre-aged.

It doesn't look old at all. Granted, the Two-box shape isn't new, but the Flex isn't "Dated".

ifcar

There's a difference between not looking like a new-for-2009 heavy-style car and looking dated. A very significant difference.

ifcar

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 24, 2008, 06:59:41 PM
You certainly have a gift for missing the forest because there are too many trees in the way.

Good point.

Nethead

Hell, Dudes, somebody post a side view of a Mini Cooper Clubman and then you can't miss the 1.8-to-1 or 2.2-to-1 "scaled up Clubman" that we know as the Flex.  'Beats a minivan by a long way and a Suburban, too, although not by as much...

I still think they shoulda named it the Maxi Cooper...

So many stairs...so little time...

CJ

The Flex isn't near as good as a minivan.  Nothing is.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CJ on July 25, 2008, 03:40:02 PM

You are a sick, twisted individual, you know that?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CJ

Atomic

Quote from: ifcar on June 24, 2008, 06:01:50 AM
Someone already sells a 4-cylinder xB-sized box (Scion), and that's a lower-volume (and presumably lower-profit) market segment than passenger hauler. Ford has nothing popular in a fairly strong market segment (two if you count both midsize/large crossover and minivan), so that's the market they correctly went after.

i agree! the ford taurus x will probably be discontinued in late 2008 or in '09. the std. taurus sedan and mercury sable are poor sellers - despite many excellent attributes. the "x" is an even greater sales disappointment for fmc. the flex is truly unique and easily recognizable. these traits, along with contemporary looks and many creature comforts should lend to a successful run. i do beg fmc - no mercury and lincoln versions, please!

Atomic

Quote from: Catman on July 23, 2008, 06:16:05 PM
My wife says it's too boxy.  I don't think this vehicle is going to do well. Just a gut feeling.

greg, is this your way of saying that your wife is never wrong  :lol: ?!

Catman

Quote from: Atomic on July 25, 2008, 05:57:21 PM
greg, is this your way of saying that your wife is never wrong  :lol: ?!

She is ALWAYS wrong.  The key is, on occasion, letting her believe she is right. ;)

Vinsanity

Quote from: CJ on July 25, 2008, 03:40:02 PM

always wanted to use that one. Thanks for letting me finally have the opportunity.

Raza

I kind of dig it.  If I needed the space, and lived near a beach, I'd buy one.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

He has a point.

Crossovers are just mommy-mobile minivans for 30-somethings who still think they're "hip".

Byteme

We went by the Ford dealer yesterday just so I could see if it looked better in the flesh.  My wife's first reaction:  "It's just a big box".

Now, having actually seen one, I don't hink it's ugly so much as it's just plain, boring and inoffensive.  Maybe that's good.  Toyota sold a shit load of Camry's by being plain, boring and inoffensive.

Atomic

my only complaints: could get better mpg, do with more h.p., and cost less fully loaded in limited trim. many crossovers are priced too excessively, such as a top of the line nissan murano, the flex, the infiniti rdx, etc. sure, one can buy a base vehicle, but i hate to skimp on options when buying a vehicle costing over $30,000.00.

my loaded 2008 maxima se (with EVERY option) was a steal, due to last year for that particular model. believe me, once you have a navigation system, it is nearly impossible to live without it. first, i thought it would be a toy, but it has helped save time and gas (never getting lost, or stopping to study a map), and proved to be safe - allowing me to focus totally on the road, opposed to looking frantically for the right exit, wondering what lane to be in...

the unfortunate thing about most new vehicles is the stacking of packages. lord! one has to check nearly every option box (if not all) in order to get many popular items on the suv/crossover vehicles mentioned above (and perhaps the vast majority of others). hell! even on the awesome new 2009 maxi!

honda does make it simply, as they use to tout!   

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Atomic on July 30, 2008, 06:51:34 PM
my only complaints: could get better mpg, do with more h.p., and cost less fully loaded in limited trim.

You don't ask for much, do you?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Atomic

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 30, 2008, 10:59:08 PM
You don't ask for much, do you?

not too much to ask for a $45,000.00 limited edition  ;) !

Byteme

I just read Crap and Drivel's road test of the Flex and am even less impressed than I was.  Not only is it a big box, it's a big heavy box that gets 16 MPG (CD observed mileage).    :rolleyes:

Note to Ford:  Make a Fusion Wagon.

ifcar

Quote from: Byteme on August 01, 2008, 01:57:26 PM
I just read Crap and Drivel's road test of the Flex and am even less impressed than I was.  Not only is it a big box, it's a big heavy box that gets 16 MPG (CD observed mileage).    :rolleyes:

Note to Ford:  Make a Fusion Wagon.

C/D's observed mileage is always low. It's a bunch of lead-foot drivers who each want to see how fast their test car will go. For comparison, they also got 16 mpg from a RAV4.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on August 01, 2008, 02:13:56 PM
C/D's observed mileage is always low. It's a bunch of lead-foot drivers who each want to see how fast their test car will go. For comparison, they also got 16 mpg from a RAV4.

IIRC they also got about 10 MPG out of an SRT-4.