What does the Pontaic G8 compete with?

Started by mojammer, June 26, 2008, 04:42:48 PM

omicron

Quote from: Raza  on June 30, 2008, 10:01:17 PM
Interior quality.

I was always a big fan of the VY-VZ interior.

The Saab cupholders were marvellous!

Raza

Quote from: Submariner on July 01, 2008, 10:46:11 AM
Ride/handling compromise?
The Badge?

I haven't driven it, but considering this is the new chassis compared to the older Monaro, I'd say the ride and handling are going to be quite good, if it's better than the Commodore-based Monaro-based GTO. 

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 01, 2008, 11:01:17 AM
for serious? :rolleyes:

He's right.  As a percentage of the whole, I'd say that 85% of BMW drivers buy one because it says BMW on it.  They don't really give a shit about the rest of the car.  Maybe the cupholders.  A Pontiac isn't going to impress anyone at the local country club.

Quote from: 93JC on July 01, 2008, 11:04:28 AM
As reprehensibly snobby as it is, he's right. Badge matters a hell of a lot to the kind of people who buy BMWs. Maybe more than anything else.

He's right too.  But Zach might not be snobby in this case, just realistic. 

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: omicron on July 01, 2008, 11:07:03 AM
I was always a big fan of the VY-VZ interior.

The Saab cupholders were marvellous!

I sat in a G8, and was able to cause massive flex of the plastic with just my hand on the center console between the seats.  The dash may be better, but as far as I can tell, the GTO's interior was better.

And this time they stole the handbrake from Saab.  Not as marvelous. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

Of course, it's important to remember that this car is designed for a market in which a 550i is almost three times as expensive as a Calais-V ($164,900 vs. $58,990).

omicron

Quote from: Raza  on July 01, 2008, 11:14:03 AM
I sat in a G8, and was able to cause massive flex of the plastic with just my hand on the center console between the seats.  The dash may be better, but as far as I can tell, the GTO's interior was better.

And this time they stole the handbrake from Saab.  Not as marvelous. 

I prefer the clearer vision you get in the VY-VZ range - the A-pillars are much thinner, the beltline lower and the windscreen feels larger.

That new handbrake is depressing; I agree. I haven't spent anywhere near enough time in a VE interior, though - the crowds at the most recent motor show were too great for any sort of decent seat-time.

Vinsanity

As reprehensibly snobby as it is, he's right. Badge matters a hell of a lot to the kind of people who buy BMWs. Maybe more than anything else.

Quote from: Raza  on July 01, 2008, 11:11:27 AM
He's right.  As a percentage of the whole, I'd say that 85% of BMW drivers buy one because it says BMW on it.  They don't really give a shit about the rest of the car.  Maybe the cupholders.  A Pontiac isn't going to impress anyone at the local country club.

Good points. I'm not to hot on the image of Pontiac myself, but badge worship just makes me shake my head in disgust. I like BMW's enough, but the only one I can see myself buying is a 3 series convertible only because noone else besides Ford and BMW make RWD 4-seater convertibles at the moment. The Lexus IS and Infiniti G convertibles can't come soon enough.

Sorry for the rant; back on topic. Personally, I can see the G8 cross-shopped by many against pre-owned E60's (another BMW I might consider owning someday)

Submariner

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 01, 2008, 11:27:12 AM
Good points. I'm not to hot on the image of Pontiac myself, but badge worship just makes me shake my head in disgust. I like BMW's enough, but the only one I can see myself buying is a 3 series convertible only because noone else besides Ford and BMW make RWD 4-seater convertibles at the moment. The Lexus IS and Infiniti G convertibles can't come soon enough.

Sorry for the rant; back on topic. Personally, I can see the G8 cross-shopped by many against pre-owned E60's (another BMW I might consider owning someday)

Mercedes CLK is a 4 seater RWD cabriolet as well.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on July 01, 2008, 11:11:27 AM
I haven't driven it, but considering this is the new chassis compared to the older Monaro, I'd say the ride and handling are going to be quite good, if it's better than the Commodore-based Monaro-based GTO. 

No I'm not being snobby.  I'm stating the truth. 

I'll be perfectly honest.  The badge was a consideration in finding my car.  The very thought of owning a BMW was marvelous.  Of course, it came after design, ride, drive, practicality, etc.  To one extent or another, the badge matters to everyone.  If its a minor consideration, thats fine, but when it's the major dictator to what car you buy, thats when it becomes silly.   

Submariner

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 01, 2008, 11:54:55 AM
DItto the 911.

Well, with 4 practical seats.  ;)  The XK has 4 seats but that is hardly a true 4 seater. 

Vinsanity

Quote from: Submariner on July 01, 2008, 11:54:15 AM
Mercedes CLK is a 4 seater RWD cabriolet as well.
Quote from: CALL_911 on July 01, 2008, 11:54:55 AM
DItto the 911.

I knew about the 911, but it's way expensive and only people with no legs can fit in the back. I did forget about the CLK, although I'd rather have a 335 for that money. I also forgot about the SC430, but like the 911, it's also way expensive with a comically useless rear seat.

Submariner

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 01, 2008, 12:03:56 PM
I knew about the 911, but it's way expensive and only people with no legs can fit in the back. I did forget about the CLK, although I'd rather have a 335 for that money. I also forgot about the SC430, but like the 911, it's also way expensive with a comically useless rear seat.

Not to mention the SC is an absolutely horrid vehicle.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Submariner on July 01, 2008, 12:07:43 PM
Not to mention the SC is an absolutely horrid vehicle.

I was going to add something to that effect, but I figured that kind of went without saying ;)

sandertheshark

Badge actually matters most to the women who date the kind of guys that buy BMWs...

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 01, 2008, 12:03:56 PM

I've sat in the back of a 911.  And I have legs. 

Four seat rear drive convertibles with manuals are a very rare breed. 3 series, Mustang, 911, DB9...I can't think of anything else.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

93JC

Quote from: sandertheshark on July 01, 2008, 08:20:54 PM
Badge actually matters most to the women who date the kind of guys that buy BMWs...

That too.

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=15028.msg842392#msg842392 date=1214969867
I've sat in the back of a 911.  And I have legs. 

Why do you always argue this point, when it's obvious to anyone with two eyes and half a brain that those seats are very impractical? I've sat in the back of one too (the one in my sig), and it was the most uncomfortable, horrid experience I've ever had in a car, aside from the time 5 of us on my basketball team rode in my friend's Stang.

For fuck's sake, when I'm in the front of a 996, the back of my seat touches the rear seat, and there is 0 inches of legroom.

Are you under contractual obligation to suck Porsche's phallus without question, or did your trip include a midget sitting in front of you? No one in their right mind would call that glovebox, er, I mean rear seat, "practical."
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

CALL_911

Quote from: Tave on July 03, 2008, 10:06:03 AM
Why do you always argue this point, when it's obvious to anyone with two eyes and half a brain that those seats are very impractical? I've sat in the back of one too (the one in my sig), and it was the most uncomfortable, horrid experience I've ever had in a car, aside from the time 5 of us from the basketball team rode in my friend's Stang.

For fuck's sake, when I'm in the front of a 996, the back of my seat touches the rear seat, and there is 0 inches legroom.

Are you under contractual obligation to suck Porsche's phallus without question, or did your trip include a midget sitting in front of you? No one in their right mind would call that glovebox, er, I mean rear seat, "practical."

Agree, and I'm a HUGE 911 fan.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Quote from: sandertheshark on July 01, 2008, 08:20:54 PM

So how's that 335i doing? :lol:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Vinsanity

Why do you always argue this point, when it's obvious to anyone with two eyes and half a brain that those seats are very impractical? I've sat in the back of one too (the one in my sig), and it was the most uncomfortable, horrid experience I've ever had in a car, aside from the time 5 of us from the basketball team rode in my friend's Stang.

For fuck's sake, when I'm in the front of a 996, the back of my seat touches the rear seat, and there is 0 inches of legroom.

haha exactly ... although 2 things to the contrary:

1. I remember Raza saying he put 2 grown adults in the equally ridiculous back seat of an SC430 before. Whether or not he did so as a form of torture was not mentioned, however.

2. I do remember seeing 2 guys ride in the back of a 996 convertible before. Although they did have the most miserable faces one could possibly have while riding in that car.

Laconian

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 03, 2008, 10:19:05 AM
1. I remember Raza saying he put 2 grown adults in the equally ridiculous back seat of an SC430 before. Whether or not he did so as a form of torture was not mentioned, however.
LOL!

The SC430 in Mean Girls :mask: managed to fit two chirpy blondes in the back. I paused it and used the zoom feature on the DVD player--the only time I've ever used that!--to confirm that it wasn't just a feat of CG trickery.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Why do you always argue this point, when it's obvious to anyone with two eyes and half a brain that those seats are very impractical? I've sat in the back of one too (the one in my sig), and it was the most uncomfortable, horrid experience I've ever had in a car, aside from the time 5 of us on my basketball team rode in my friend's Stang.

I never said it wasn't uncomfortable.  And I do recall mentioning that my foot got stuck.  But that happened in a C class too.

Stop whining like a pussy so much.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 03, 2008, 10:19:05 AM
haha exactly ... although 2 things to the contrary:

2. I do remember seeing 2 guys ride in the back of a 996 convertible before. Although they did have the most miserable faces one could possibly have while riding in that car.

No, you're remembering incorrectly.  It was just one grown adult.  And he was pretty short.  Taller than Prince, but still pretty short. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=15028.msg843412#msg843412 date=1215110216
Stop whining like a pussy so much.

AHAHAHA

You got it, chief :ohyeah:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

sandertheshark

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 03, 2008, 10:10:23 AM
So how's that 335i doing? :lol:

I have a smoking hot girlfriend from Switzerland who loves old war movies, jazz, and BBQ.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sandertheshark on July 03, 2008, 05:32:44 PM
I have a smoking hot girlfriend from Switzerland who loves old war movies, jazz, and BBQ.

It boggles the mind that such people exist.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Tave on July 03, 2008, 01:55:55 PM
AHAHAHA

You got it, chief :ohyeah:

You're the one freaking out because I said I sat in the back of a 911.  You're being a little bitch for no fucking reason.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rich

If I could get either the V6 or v8 with a 6MT, I'd make sure I'd have one waiting in the states for me when I get back.  arrg
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MX793

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 04, 2008, 04:57:33 AM
If I could get either the V6 or v8 with a 6MT, I'd make sure I'd have one waiting in the states for me when I get back.  arrg

That's the #1 thing that irks me about the G8.  Only way to get a stick-shift is to pony up over 40 grand for the GXP.  Why the hell can't I get a standard with the lesser engines?  There is especially no excuse for the V6, since they offer a 6MT with that same engine in the Caddy CTS.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Vinsanity

actually somewhere on autoblog there's an entry reporting that the 6-speed will be available on the 6.0L GT model. I'm too lazy to search and link it right now