What does the Pontaic G8 compete with?

Started by mojammer, June 26, 2008, 04:42:48 PM

mojammer

I guess this is the right place for this topic.

Aside from the Dodge Charger R/T, what does the G8 run with?  A used E39 M5?

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Well, you've got the Charger and 300C which are the most direct competitors, but it also competes with the Camry, Accord, and Maxima.  And, if Pontiac is optimistic, the 5 series, 3 series, C class, and E class. 

These things are popping up all over the place here.  I've already seen five or so on the roads, more than I've seen of the Astra (1), Focus (3), and Smarts (4). 

Too bad the interior is made of cheap plastic.  The gearshift console area flexes when you apply pressure, and it doesn't impress the way the GTO did (nor does it look as good).  It's a shame that the same quality in the failed model doesn't appear in the apparent success.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on June 26, 2008, 04:46:01 PM
Hopefully, the Ford Falcon.

I have little doubt that Ford will be watching this car closely to see if the Falcon is viable here.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

I want a Falcon.  It's better then the G8 as proven by the comparos from down under.

Vinsanity

I'd venture to say it competes more directly with the Hyundai Genesis than any BMW. I'd also say the Infiniti G35, but that's direct competition for the CTS; the Maxima is more of a G8 competitor although someone who ends up with a G8 has FWD high on their 'DO NOT WANT' list

There's also possibility that some would cross-shop it with the Mitsu Evo X

Tave

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 26, 2008, 06:22:29 PM
I'd venture to say it competes more directly with the Hyundai Genesis than any BMW. I'd also say the Infiniti G35, but that's direct competition for the CTS; the Maxima is more of a G8 competitor although someone who ends up with a G8 has FWD high on their 'DO NOT WANT' list

Not necessarily. I don't think everyone who bought the 300 got it because of RWD. You're giving the general public too much credit.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Tave on June 26, 2008, 06:28:15 PM
Not necessarily. I don't think everyone who bought the 300 got it because of RWD. You're giving the general public too much credit.

That's true; the Chrysler 300 sells (sold) mostly on styling. But the Pontiac G8 doesn't have as edgy of a design the LX cars had when they came out; it kind of looks like a BMW 5-series through beer goggles, that's not what's going to sell the car. At least not as much as the performance aspect will.

sportyaccordy

Price-wise, I would say an E39 M5 and the new Hyundai Genesis.

GM better pray, and throw that 4-cyl from the Solstice in for good measure.

Jesus Christ.

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on June 26, 2008, 04:46:20 PM

These things are popping up all over the place here.  I've already seen five or so on the roads, more than I've seen of the Astra (1), Focus (3), and Smarts (4). 

I haven't seen one.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

68_427

ive seen 6, 5 black and one in a strange purple color, definately looks even better in person than in pictures
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SJ_GTI

I've only seen a couple of them.

The most interesting time I saw one I was heading home from the office on a weekend on route 38. which is a three lane road but has stop lights.

I first came up behind it at a light where a G8 GT and two Impala SS were all at the light (not many cars around since it was a Sunday). As the light turns green all three cars gun it and the G8 absolutely smoked both Impala's. I was able to keep up with the Impala's in my GTI (I wasn't racing them, just following them) reasonably, but the Impala's were also pretty darn quick. This repeated two more times before those cars went one direction (toward downtown Camden) and I went the other direction (route 130 toward home).

Overall the G8 was really nice looking, and I was really impressed by its acceleration. It really made the Impala's and my GTI seem like slow cars.

Vinsanity

were they the 90's Impala SS's or the current model? I know the 90's models aren't fast at all by today's standards, but I think most of the ones on the road are modded.

Tave

Only on CarSPIN does Pontiac's new full-sizer "compete" with a used BMW. :lol:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 27, 2008, 10:13:14 AM
were they the 90's Impala SS's or the current model? I know the 90's models aren't fast at all by today's standards, but I think most of the ones on the road are modded.

Sorry, they were both current gen Impala SS's. FWD but with the ~300 HP V8.

I am guessing all the guys knew each other. They all looked to be in their late 20's early thirties and were talking to each other at the lights.

Vinsanity

heh, I've never seen 2 of the newer Impala SS's in the same place at once yet. Last time I saw one was last weekend with its driver weaving through traffic on the freeway. I wanted to test drive one last year, but none of the dealers had any stripper models in stock, just $29,000 fuly loaded ones. At that price, there's no reason not to get a Charger (in this year's case, a G8) instead.

Haven't noticed seeing any G8's on the road here yet, but it's good to know they're on the road somewhere.

S204STi

I've never seen a new Impala SS on the road, as far as I can remember.

The mid-90s Impala SS with the LT1 isn't the fastest thing on the road but it can hustle.  Plus there is at least a little aftermarket support for them, so you might keep an ear out for a sleeper now and then. Though honestly, most people who own them don't really mod them much, as far as I can tell.

The G8 really seems to be targeting the BMW demographic, and in terms of domestics the only thing like it is the 300C or Charger, neither of which seem particularly appealing compared with the Pontiac.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: R-inge on June 27, 2008, 10:13:18 PM
I've never seen a new Impala SS on the road, as far as I can remember.

The mid-90s Impala SS with the LT1 isn't the fastest thing on the road but it can hustle.  Plus there is at least a little aftermarket support for them, so you might keep an ear out for a sleeper now and then. Though honestly, most people who own them don't really mod them much, as far as I can tell.

The G8 really seems to be targeting the BMW demographic, and in terms of domestics the only thing like it is the 300C or Charger, neither of which seem particularly appealing compared with the Pontiac.

I see the new SS from time to time.

From what I've seen though, an LT1 Impala SS is more likely to be a standard Caprice with shiny new badges than a genuine LT1 powered hustler.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

S204STi

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 27, 2008, 10:28:01 PM
I see the new SS from time to time.

From what I've seen though, an LT1 Impala SS is more likely to be a standard Caprice with shiny new badges than a genuine LT1 powered hustler.

So true... Kinda like STi/Type R/Ralliart badges on a plebeian replica.

Another common sight are retired police interceptors or high level cruisers (for the upper echelon).  Those I think actually are quite similar to the SS, AFAIK.

S204STi

Speaking of which, did any of you guys see that John Philips article a while back about his Caprice wagon?  Now THAT's a fast wagon!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: R-inge on June 27, 2008, 10:35:32 PM
Speaking of which, did any of you guys see that John Philips article a while back about his Caprice wagon?  Now THAT's a fast wagon!

This one?

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

The Pirate

Quote from: R-inge on June 27, 2008, 10:35:32 PM

No, I'd not heard about that.  I seem to recall a column where he got rid of his Accord coupe for a Crown Vic though (this is several years back, at least).  I'm going to have to look up the Caprice developments.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

sandertheshark

I've seen a few.  I'm thinking of test-driving one soon.  Pontiac wants it to compete with the BMW 5-series.  Apart from the price and a nav system, I can't really see anything that the Pontiac is missing from that part of the market.

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on June 30, 2008, 07:21:30 PM
I've seen a few.  I'm thinking of test-driving one soon.  Pontiac wants it to compete with the BMW 5-series.  Apart from the price and a nav system, I can't really see anything that the Pontiac is missing from that part of the market.

Interior quality.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

93JC

As reprehensibly snobby as it is, he's right. Badge matters a hell of a lot to the kind of people who buy BMWs. Maybe more than anything else.