GT-R , Not quite what it seemed at first...

Started by mojammer, June 26, 2008, 09:32:59 PM

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

r0tor

i spun my car out on a back road trying to be a drift supastar... was fun!
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

the Teuton

Quote from: Tave on July 01, 2008, 09:40:19 AM
Teuton isn't driving his dealership's cars at 10/10ths, either.

Edit: And I've seen his review of the 335 change from,

"I wanted to hate this car but the engine is just sooooooooo sweet,"

to

"It sucks at life"

:rolleyes:

Maybe I'm being a bit too harsh.  The car is utterly efficient, so efficient that it takes some of the fun out.  The engine is a gem, though.

I'd rather have something that communicates a bit better.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

Quote from: Tave on July 01, 2008, 10:12:44 AM
Whatever. Taking cars to the wash, parking them in a lot, and occasionally delivering one to a customer isn't any more impressive than Call's equally limited seat time. :huh:

On top of that, the owner of the 335 on CarSPIN seems to like it, as do a lot of the other members that have driven it.

And I appreciate Teuton's point of view, but I think he should be comparing it to the other cars in its class, not to the days 'o' yore.

I get plenty of seat time in all sorts of BMWs -- unfortunately not much else.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 01, 2008, 10:17:29 AM
The thing is, I drive that one E60 almost every day, and I don't just move the thing a few feet.

You have no idea how much I've driven each of these cars.  I'd say that I have a pretty good feel for most of them.  The only cars I have not driven extensively in the current lineup are the 6 Series, Z4 M coupe and roadster, 760Li/Alpina B7, and M3.  Otherwise, I have gotten to take most every other car on fairly extensive commutes at different points.  Just because I'm not a fanboy doesn't mean that I don't have enough seat time to formulate opinions about given cars.

Car and Driver may give blowjobs  BMW and idolize Chris Bangle, but it doesn't mean that they're all that and a bag of chips to anyone else.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=15037.msg842060#msg842060 date=1214932660
I just put 500 miles on a new C class.  That's a damn good car.  The BMW's chassis has a good benchmark in my mind.  However, the C class I drove was AWD, so that killed some of the fun.  I'm curious as to how the BMW will be.  The other two BMWs I've driven haven't impressed. 

I haven't driven the new C class yet but I want too. To me 3-series have always felt more buttoned-down and communicative than their competitors.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Sigma Projects

Quote from: Raza  on June 30, 2008, 08:57:18 PM
You've never driven a fast car that you thought was boring? 

can't say I have, i mean some are more fun than others, but it really depends on how you drive it. I know sometimes the car doesn't want to play with your own driving style, but if you know how to work it then iono, I find it fun.

Like for instance, I'm not really a fan of cars that aren't very forgiving in low speed driving, like most driving. I had this celica I bought which had some suspension parts I really wanted as well as the rear axle, so I mostly just bought it for the parts, I didn't care for the rest of the car, especially the motor since the previous owner made it so that it was only good when you were getting the revs up. So driving it normal would make any owner annoyed as hell, but once you get pissed off and down shift to pass it's pretty fun especially only weighing like 2500lbs with a stiff suspension and nice tires, felt like a go kart. But when driving it like you want to destroy the motor it's very fun. There's enough kick and the sound of the motor slurping away the gas through its carb and high lobed cam is actually pretty nice, even if it is a truck motor.

So i don't know, maybe I can find something fun in any sports car :huh:

I mean even getting a maxima sideways like the one sportyaccordy has in his sig is actually really fun, those VQ30s are pretty TQy.
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 30, 2008, 07:13:37 AM
AIt's just like how I'm sure any WRX or 350z would walk all over something like a 330i all over the track... but that doesn't automatically make it the better car, overall.

A WRX or 350Z would walk all over a 330i in pretty much any situation.

A new 335i on the other hand...

But as you can see in the post below, yeah, just being fast isn't enough for me either.

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on June 30, 2008, 08:57:18 PM
You've never driven a fast car that you thought was boring? 

I have.  It's called the 350Z. :lol:

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 27, 2008, 01:23:49 PM
I'm saddened by the apparent new softness of the GT2 and Z06. EVO's review of the GT2 was way more positive. C&D really made the Z06 out to be some jelly-bushinged, bench seat softy...

Ehhh.

GT3

Did you actually read the article? Their main complaint about the GT2 was that it was too difficult to drive, like an older 911.

TBR

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 30, 2008, 01:00:17 PM
Maybe not with the Ferraris... but they definitely look and sound better, which is worth it to me

And the GT3 weighs a good 700# less than a GT-R and again looks and sounds better, IMO. Plus Porsches aren't THAT expensive to maintain. Hell, between the gas, huge soft tires + brakes, the extra diffs and all that stuff I'm sure the running costs of a GT-R will be much higher than that of a GT3 over the life of the car. And of course, if history can be used as a reference, the GT-R's reliability could be an issue as well...

I'm just not convinced...

Yes, because the GT3 doesn't have huge brakes or soft tires and gets 35 mpg. :rolleyes:

hotrodalex

Quote from: TBR on July 07, 2008, 09:53:39 PM
Did you actually read the article? Their main complaint about the GT2 was that it was too difficult to drive, like an older 911.

BOOO lazy people that can't drive a difficult car.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: TBR on July 07, 2008, 09:56:19 PM
Yes, because the GT3 doesn't have huge brakes or soft tires and gets 35 mpg. :rolleyes:

**walks up to parts counter at NAPA**

Hello, i need a set of ceramic rotors for a 2007 Porsche 911 GT3

****pause****
****pause****
****pause****
****pause****
****pause****
****pause****
****pause****
****pause****

:huh:

Alright finally the real production GT-R's are in the hands of owners and we can stop speculating on what the "production" cars will do in the hands of owners.

As far as I know this is the first US spec GT-R to hit the strip.

http://www.3si.org/forum/f1/gtr-my-local-dragway-426516/

It ran all night, like 10-15 runs.

"At first 12.0 at 117.9 with a 1.7 60ft
then a 12.4 at 121.7
then a 11.8 at 118
then a bunch of runs all between 11.8 and 12.2 trapping 120-122.5."

It sounds like he's not using launch control, (which I agree is an excellent choice as his car is pretty new),
but it seems almost completely consistent with that Edmunds got with their privately owned JDM car a while back.

That JDM car would trap 12.0 @ 120 mph without launch control as well.  Using launch control the trap speed only creeps to 120.9 mph but ET drops to 11.6.

So despite all the speculation this way and that way, we come back full circle to that first Edmunds test of an actual production GT-R.  So as Nissan promised, the GT-R is truly a global car, with a global engine.