Motorcycles.

Started by S204STi, July 21, 2008, 10:19:36 AM

Champ

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on September 23, 2008, 02:41:49 PM
Don't get killed!

I thought I wanted to get a motorcycle, but then I saw all of these patients (pretty grim) that suffered motorcycle accidents in the re-hab unit of the hospital....
Funny, I see all the people out enjoying themselves and it makes me want to ride!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Champ on September 23, 2008, 03:04:50 PM
Bunch of local guys set it up here.

Get some interest, call your local indoor go-kart track and tell them what you are interested in doing.

They just talked to the owner, blocked off 4 hours of non-popular time (Sunday PM, 5-9).  Charge $25/person for all you can run.

Oh damn, it's not even a real sport yet. :lol: I was hoping it would be established somewhere so I could just rent the bike an equipment for a day.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Minpin

I want a motorcycle, and I could afford it, but my parents won't let me. Guess I'll have to wait till I graduate.

But, I don't get the point of buying a 250. First of all a guy as big as me (6' 3", 205 pounds) wouldn't even hardly fit on one I don't think. And second, why not just get something that is a great bike that you won't feel like you'll grow out of as long as you are not a dumbass on it.

I don't see anything wrong with like an R6, or a full size Buell as a first time bike as long as you have had the MSF course and know what you are doing.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Minpin on September 23, 2008, 04:44:01 PM
I want a motorcycle, and I could afford it, but my parents won't let me. Guess I'll have to wait till I graduate.

But, I don't get the point of buying a 250. First of all a guy as big as me (6' 3", 205 pounds) wouldn't even hardly fit on one I don't think. And second, why not just get something that is a great bike that you won't feel like you'll grow out of as long as you are not a dumbass on it.

I don't see anything wrong with like an R6, or a full size Buell as a first time bike as long as you have had the MSF course and know what you are doing.

Oh yeah, 250's are so pointless to ride, they're so small nobody can fit on them, and how in the hell do they even keep up with traffic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVxoVEMTXp8

Minpin

Do you think a guy of my size wouldn't look ridiculous on even the 2008 250 though?

Although I will admit, It doesn't sound half bad in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdWYOn8m2-k&feature=related.

They are still slower than my car, what's the point of a bike if it's slower?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Minpin on September 23, 2008, 05:10:20 PM
Do you think a guy of my size wouldn't look ridiculous on even the 2008 250 though?

Although I will admit, It doesn't sound half bad in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdWYOn8m2-k&feature=related.

250 is the engine size, not the frame size. Go sit on one at a dealership and see how much more comfortable it is than an R6... or to make it more convenient, a ZX6R.

What do you mean it's slower than your car? If all you care about is speed, go get a Hayabusa and kill yourself. I hear those are pretty big and comfy.

MX793

Quote from: R-inge on September 23, 2008, 11:53:41 AM
True.  Fortunately full coverage for me ain't bad.

Have you checked what it would be for a bike?  Insurance companies don't just look at how long you've had a license, they look at how long you've had a motorcycle license/endorsement specifically.  While a clean license and such helps, you're essentially going to be in the same pool as a new driver when it comes to bike insurance.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: Minpin on September 23, 2008, 04:44:01 PM

If you've never ridden a bike before, a 3 day MSF course is not going to fully prepare you to handle a high performance machine.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

S204STi

Quote from: MX793 on September 23, 2008, 05:14:08 PM
Have you checked what it would be for a bike?  Insurance companies don't just look at how long you've had a license, they look at how long you've had a motorcycle license/endorsement specifically.  While a clean license and such helps, you're essentially going to be in the same pool as a new driver when it comes to bike insurance.

I got some qoutes earlier this summer, and it was $1001.00 for any one of four bikes I qouted, one of which was a SV650, full coverage for a full year.

I don't know what you're paying (if you wouldn't mind sharing that might give me some perspective) but that seems pretty decent, considering I pay about that much for my car.

Minpin

Quote from: NACar on September 23, 2008, 05:13:41 PM
250 is the engine size, not the frame size. Go sit on one at a dealership and see how much more comfortable it is than an R6... or to make it more convenient, a ZX6R.

What do you mean it's slower than your car? If all you care about is speed, go get a Hayabusa and kill yourself. I hear those are pretty big and comfy.

Your the one always complaining about how slow harley's are.....

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on September 23, 2008, 05:17:09 PM
If you've never ridden a bike before, a 3 day MSF course is not going to fully prepare you to handle a high performance machine.

Absolutely. I've been riding for over 4 years now, and my little EX500 is still more than I can handle sometimes.
Actually, this morning the front wheel jumped off the ground a few inches on a wide open 1-2 shift. It usually can't do that; it must've been the cool morning air. It skeered me a bit at first... but then it was awesome. Point is, the little 500 still has more than enough performance for me.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Minpin on September 23, 2008, 05:21:49 PM
Your the one always complaining about how slow harley's are.....

Cuz they're slow in turns.

Minpin

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Minpin on September 23, 2008, 05:28:42 PM
mmhmm  :popcorn:

Actually, I don't recall complaining about how outright slow Harley's are. I think you're putting words in my mouth (and popcorn in yours) :nono:

S204STi

Quote from: NACar on September 23, 2008, 05:29:56 PM

looks almost simlar :devil:

I wonder if that was intended to supersede the old 750 Nighthawk.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on September 23, 2008, 06:00:43 PM

All I know is, they shouldn't have stopped making the 750's. All they have now are the 250's, and they are dog slow and are so lame they still have drum brakes up front - good for MSF classes, but not much else.

MX793

Quote from: R-inge on September 23, 2008, 05:20:40 PM

I got some qoutes earlier this summer, and it was $1001.00 for any one of four bikes I qouted, one of which was a SV650, full coverage for a full year.

I don't know what you're paying (if you wouldn't mind sharing that might give me some perspective) but that seems pretty decent, considering I pay about that much for my car.

I pay a little under $100 a year, but that's only for liability.  I wouldn't be surprised if full coverage cost me as much or more than I pay for my car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

S204STi

Quote from: MX793 on September 23, 2008, 06:07:05 PM
I pay a little under $100 a year, but that's only for liability.  I wouldn't be surprised if full coverage cost me as much or more than I pay for my car.

wow...at least I know once I pay off a bike it'll be cheap to own.

At this point it's looking more and more like I will probably have to finance a bike, so initially it will be costly.  Hopefully over time it will pay off.

Minpin

NACar, you never answered my question..do you think I would look ridiculous on a 250 with my size or if it would even be comfortable?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Minpin on September 23, 2008, 06:14:43 PM
NACar, you never answered my question..do you think I would look ridiculous on a 250 with my size or if it would even be comfortable?

Would you look ridiculous? Some people will think so, but these are the same idiots that won't be seen on anything but their blinged-out Hayabusa becaue all they care about is image. Would it be comfortable? I don't see why not, but that's for you to figure out.

Champ

Quote from: R-inge on September 23, 2008, 05:20:40 PM

Yep I pay under $20/month with liability for my SV.  So about 1/4 as much as your quote.  Big difference!

Champ

Quote from: Minpin on September 23, 2008, 05:10:20 PM

I'm right around 6', 190 and I don't look weird on one.

Sure they are a little slow on the highway, but you are going to get at least double gas mileage of any car, triple of an SUV.  And the added benefit of sweet parking, LESS TRAFFIC (think if everyone rode a bike!) and being out in the open air - which is why most ride anyways without the other benefits!

Cobra93

Quote from: R-inge on September 23, 2008, 06:00:43 PM
Basically, yes, the 919 and it's little brother, the 599, are Honda's standard naked bikes. They are a little overpriced though. Sadly, the 599 was discontinued. You may want to look for one of those used.

Cookie Monster

I would love to get a bike but the only thing holding me back (if I had the money) is that I'd have to wear the safety gear all day long. If I go to classes across campus I have nowhere to put the jacket and pants and I'd have to wear it.

If I had an office cubicle to put it in or just had to wear it while getting lunch or something it'd be fine but I don't want to have to wear it all day.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Tave

Quote from: Cobra93 on September 24, 2008, 07:51:16 AM
Basically, yes, the 919 and it's little brother, the 599, are Honda's standard naked bikes. They are a little overpriced though. Sadly, the 599 was discontinued. You may want to look for one of those used.

How does the 599 compare to the SV?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: thecarnut on September 24, 2008, 12:28:34 PM
I would love to get a bike but the only thing holding me back (if I had the money) is that I'd have to wear the safety gear all day long. If I go to classes across campus I have nowhere to put the jacket and pants and I'd have to wear it.

If I had an office cubicle to put it in or just had to wear it while getting lunch or something it'd be fine but I don't want to have to wear it all day.

I'm riding to schoool all this week. I carry my helmet around because it's $300 and my bike doesn't have helmet locks. If it bothered me, I'd get a cheap helmet that I wouldn't mind leaving on my bike, and/or I'd get a helmet lock. My gloves go inside of my helemt. My jacket stays on my back or I carry it. Somehow, I still manage to carry a cup of coffee to class along with my gear and my backpack. There are also these things called "lockers", which some schools have, and they let you keep stuff in them. Safety pants? I dont have any, so I just wear jeans - better than shorts, anyway.

dazzleman

Quote from: NACar on September 24, 2008, 03:07:23 PM
I'm riding to schoool all this week. I carry my helmet around because it's $300 and my bike doesn't have helmet locks. If it bothered me, I'd get a cheap helmet that I wouldn't mind leaving on my bike, and/or I'd get a helmet lock. My gloves go inside of my helemt. My jacket stays on my back or I carry it. Somehow, I still manage to carry a cup of coffee to class along with my gear and my backpack. There are also these things called "lockers", which some schools have, and they let you keep stuff in them. Safety pants? I dont have any, so I just wear jeans - better than shorts, anyway.

A few years back, in the summer, I was behind this dude on a motorcycle wearing cut-off jean shorts, no shirt, no helmet, and a pair of sandals.

I hope that guy didn't fall, because he'd have had no skin left.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!