Motorcycles.

Started by S204STi, July 21, 2008, 10:19:36 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: R-inge on September 26, 2008, 07:47:20 PM
Also noticed that Suzuki is working on a SV650 replacement called the Gladius, which should also be priced lower according to a Cycleworld article.

Then, there will be a sport version called the Gladius Maximus.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on September 26, 2008, 07:42:47 PM
How about a Kawasaki ER-6n?  http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=894

Looks kinda cool, sort of a competitor with the naked SV650?

I like that. I also liked the 650R when it came out, but I like the naked better.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

shp4man

Sounds like he wants a Sporty- so get a Sporty already. A decent used one can be had for $3-4K . Paid $2800 for my 2000 XL883.
Girls bike my ass.

Cobra93

Quote from: shp4man on September 27, 2008, 09:14:57 PM
Sounds like he wants a Sporty- so get a Sporty already. A decent used one can be had for $3-4K . Paid $2800 for my 2000 XL883.
Girls bike my ass.
If he decides he can live with a bike that's slower than his car, and he doesn't mind the vibration, that would be the obvious choice. As far as the girl's bike goes, last week I rode through the Smokies and all the great riding roads there. I saw a lot of couples out riding their Harleys. The men were usually on Road Kings or Ultras. The women................well, you figure it out. :huh: Personally, I don't have anything against Sportsters, other than  the fact that I like cheap speed.

shp4man

I take great pleasure in dusting jap cruisers in stoplight drags. See, Sportys are kind of old school, if you don't appreciate that then keep riding rice. I'll still wave to you out on the road.

Cobra93

Quote from: shp4man on September 28, 2008, 02:51:44 PM
I take great pleasure in dusting jap cruisers in stoplight drags. See, Sportys are kind of old school, if you don't appreciate that then keep riding rice. I'll still wave to you out on the road.
Eight track tapes are kind of old school, too. You drive a VW beetle. NOW I see why you think a Sportster is quick.  :ohyeah: Most metric cruisers 750cc and up will hang with your 883cc Sportster, so you must be picking on the Rebel 250's and Shadow VLX 600's.  :lol: And whatever you do, don't mess with a Goldwing cause my 800 lb touring bike will spank you royally.  In other words, I'll definitely ride "rice" until an American manufacturer makes something competitive.

Soup DeVille

Everytime someone brings up the draggin harleys versus rice argument, I'm reminded of that (awful) show Pinks. Long story short: prepped 2008 VRSC V-rod loses to a 1983 Suzuki GS1100.

Harleys have a certain swagger to them I agree, but nobody should be deluded into thinking they're something they're not.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

I've ridden a new 883. It was definately slower than my 1977 Suzuki GS750, but quicker than my 2000 Yamaha VStar 650. I'd totally hit a Sporty 1200 if it wasn't more expensive than a nice Triumph.

Champ

Quote from: Raza  on September 26, 2008, 07:58:04 PM
What did you get?

We took it to a little dirt track yesterday and it's a FKING BLAST!

So much fun!

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Cobra93 on September 28, 2008, 07:06:34 PM
Eight track tapes are kind of old school, too. You drive a VW beetle. NOW I see why you think a Sportster is quick.  :ohyeah: Most metric cruisers 750cc and up will hang with your 883cc Sportster, so you must be picking on the Rebel 250's and Shadow VLX 600's.  :lol: And whatever you do, don't mess with a Goldwing cause my 800 lb touring bike will spank you royally.  In other words, I'll definitely ride "rice" until an American manufacturer makes something competitive.
:ohyeah:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

S204STi

Well, I successfully completed my MSF course this weekend! :praise:

I only had 6 deductions on the riding test (all 6 were due to putting my foot down once and riding slightly past the boundary during the figure-8-in-a-box test) and did really well at swerving to avoid an object, the emergency stop, and the long steady curve.  They said my time on the curve was the fastest they'd seen which also had good form and stayed within the course boundary lines.  To polish it all off I aced the written test.

So... I just got back from the DMV with a new temp license with a "M" endorsement on it, and my permanent should show up within the month.

Unfortunately my wife and I came to the conclusion that because I blew it on some stupid financial decisions recently I really can't afford the bike right at the moment...but maybe by the winter, particularly if that new job pans out.

As for what bike to buy... the bike I rode for the entire class was a 250 Ninja, so it was awesome to get a feel for it.  Both instructors shied me away from the Buell Blast, so I think I'll write that off as a no-go.  I think that I would probably be fine with a 250 around town, but if I end up with a job that requires me to ride on the interstate then I think that without a doubt I'd go with the EX500 instead.  Seems to have the same riding position and handling, but more balls.  And the 250 was not in the least bit frightening to ride, I bet I could handle more bike than that safely.  600cc...well, I might ride one just to find out, I know a kid at work who has a used 600 ninja, so I might twist his arm for a ride around the block tomorrow.  I'll also take out the GS500E for a ride, along with the SV650, since it seems to be not quite as balls-to-the-wall as the 600cc sport bikes.

S204STi

Quote from: shp4man on September 27, 2008, 09:14:57 PM
Girls bike my ass.

You know, I kinda like the Sportster.  I really wish they sold the 1200XR stateside, because I would love to take that for a ride.  Plus I understand the 883 has decent fuel economy.

Gotta-Qik-C7

S204STi

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 26, 2008, 10:27:51 PM
Then, there will be a sport version called the Gladius Maximus.

LOL

Eye of the Tiger

congrats :rockon:  :clap:

If you can't afford the bike you want, there's nothing wrong with starting on an older one - 80's Japanese bikes are a dime a dozen. My first Suzuki cost me $600, my Honda was $700 and my EX500 was $300 + trade of the Honda. The most expensive repair I've had to do on any of them was getting new keys made for the EX500 because I was a dumbass.

Champ

congrats!

Told you bout them buells...

Cobra93

Quote from: Champ on September 29, 2008, 11:40:15 AM
congrats!

Told you bout them buells...
And we also told him about the SV650. See a pattern here? :lol: Congrats on passing. Ride safe, whatever you ride.  :ohyeah:

S204STi

I think I was really just concerned about getting too much bike too soon, but even the instructors thought a 500 would be a great starter bike.  On the other hand they warned me against getting an R6 or something like that... one of them rides a CBR XX or whatever it's called (basically before the Hyabusa it was the fastest sport/touring bike you could buy, maybe you're familiar) and told me a story about his son in law.  He has owned this gorgeous 600cc sport bike for 4 years and put only 200 miles on it... whatever he did, he scared the crap out of himself.  Now it's just his trailer queen.  He rolls it out of his garage to wash and wax it once and year and then rolls it back in...may as well sell it at that point.

Cobra93

Quote from: R-inge on September 29, 2008, 12:13:32 PM
I think I was really just concerned about getting too much bike too soon, but even the instructors thought a 500 would be a great starter bike.  On the other hand they warned me against getting an R6 or something like that... one of them rides a CBR XX or whatever it's called (basically before the Hyabusa it was the fastest sport/touring bike you could buy, maybe you're familiar) and told me a story about his son in law.  He has owned this gorgeous 600cc sport bike for 4 years and put only 200 miles on it... whatever he did, he scared the crap out of himself.  Now it's just his trailer queen.  He rolls it out of his garage to wash and wax it once and year and then rolls it back in...may as well sell it at that point.
I understand your concern and I, too would not recommend a true sportbike. That's why I think the SV650, with it's upright riding position, wide handlebar and very tractable power should feel very comfortable for you. There's nothing worse than owning a bike that you're not confident on.

Champ

SV650 and close the thread.

S204STi

Alright, I'll ride one already!   :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

EX500 and close the thread.

Cobra93

Quote from: R-inge on September 29, 2008, 01:04:33 PM
Alright, I'll ride one already!   :lol:
Just remember. It's going to be significantly more powerful than the 250 so don't get in over your head with the throttle.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: R-inge on September 29, 2008, 12:13:32 PM
On the other hand they warned me against getting an R6 or something like that... one of them rides a CBR XX or whatever it's called (basically before the Hyabusa it was the fastest sport/touring bike you could buy, maybe you're familiar) and told me a story about his son in law. 
That bike was called the Blackbird.

Eye of the Tiger

The best way To get used to a bike is to Floor it it and let go of the clutch and just get that over with first thing cuz I know my dad was in motorcross and he told me so also I have my license and I heard you should Probably get a ZX-14 or a Busa or at least a CBR1000RRR for a first bike I heard they real easy to ride and more safe than a little 500 those dont have enough Power to go on the Highway or you'll get run over by trucks also dont wear Helmet cuz they take away your visibilibity so you cant see traffic its just mor Dangerous so at least get a 1000 or youll be sorry and youll wish you got one cos ull get bored so fast with a 750 or 600 anyway faster is safer you know?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: NACar on September 29, 2008, 01:29:04 PM
The best way To get used to a bike is to Floor it it and let go of the clutch and just get that over with first thing cuz I know my dad was in motorcross and he told me so also I have my license and I heard you should Probably get a ZX-14 or a Busa or at least a CBR1000RRR for a first bike I heard they real easy to ride and more safe than a little 500 those dont have enough Power to go on the Highway or you'll get run over by trucks also dont wear Helmet cuz they take away your visibilibity so you cant see traffic its just mor Dangerous so at least get a 1000 or youll be sorry and youll wish you got one cos ull get bored so fast with a 750 or 600 anyway faster is safer you know?

:lol:  :lol:

Cobra93

Quote from: NACar on September 29, 2008, 01:29:04 PM

You forgot to mention that riding it on the back wheel only will greatly decrease your front tire tread wear. ;)

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Cobra93

Quote from: Raza  on September 29, 2008, 02:58:03 PM
Not Fireblade?
I think that was a 900. The Blackbird was 1100.