Motorcycles.

Started by S204STi, July 21, 2008, 10:19:36 AM

CaminoRacer

Is Leo Vince at all related to Vince & Hines?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Speed_Racer

I think you're thinking of Vance & Hines, and I dont think so. Plus V&H is American-made, Leos are Italtian I think

CaminoRacer

Oh yeah, it's Vance. :lol:

SVT_Power

Bike got hit again while parked at work.

Guy left his name and number, said he was using his auto-park feature but the car (Lincoln MKX) didn't see my bike or something. Either way he gave me all his information over the phone, said he's fine either paying for damages or going through insurance.

I think he's vastly underestimating what it's gonna cost/overestimating how much my bike is worth. Pretty sure bike will be written off.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

shp4man

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 15, 2018, 03:34:08 PM
Bike got hit again while parked at work.

Guy left his name and number, said he was using his auto-park feature but the car (Lincoln MKX) didn't see my bike or something. Either way he gave me all his information over the phone, said he's fine either paying for damages or going through insurance.

I think he's vastly underestimating what it's gonna cost/overestimating how much my bike is worth. Pretty sure bike will be written off.

Holy fuck..

SVT_Power

Rode the bike home, definitely something funky going on. When I take my hands off the bar (the triple tree also isn't straight anymore, it's noticeably off horizontal by 5-10 degrees), the bike wants to pull left.

Not sure how this one happened but the front brakes are pulsating now as well.

Thinking I should make sure the shop writes the thing off.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

Autonomy strikes again.

SVT_Power

Went and made a collision report with the po-po this morning (as required) and then went to a shop for estimates. They took one look at the bike and said it's a write off. Didn't even have to look around at the other side lol.

Guess I'm gonna file a claim with my insurance company and wait for them to cut me a cheque. Then shopping time!

Speed_Racer

Got a top 5 list of replacement options?

SVT_Power

In an ideal world, I would replace it with a Striple or a Monster but those would be too much money I think.

If I were taller, I would consider some sort of dual sport/adventure bike but standing at 5'8, I think those would be a little cumbersome on my daily commutes.

I have a sneaking suspicion it's gonna come down to the SV650, and the FZ6 once again. And I'm not sure I could give up 1/3 of the power of the FZ6 to get a SV650...

12,000 RPM

It doesn't take much to write off an older bike with fairings, nor does it mean the bike is dead. When I crashed my bike it was unrideable as the forks were toast. As long as the frame is straight and the engine runs it's gonna be fixable. Unless insurance is cheap (which I imagine it can't be in TO) I probably wouldn't bother with full coverage. Even with my crash I saved money over full coverage in NYC.

Other question I guess is how much you want to keep the bike. If insurance will cut you a check and you want something else it should be fine.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 16, 2018, 02:03:22 PM
In an ideal world, I would replace it with a Striple or a Monster but those would be too much money I think.

If I were taller, I would consider some sort of dual sport/adventure bike but standing at 5'8, I think those would be a little cumbersome on my daily commutes.

I have a sneaking suspicion it's gonna come down to the SV650, and the FZ6 once again. And I'm not sure I could give up 1/3 of the power of the FZ6 to get a SV650...

My 230L is pretty compact. I'm 5'10" and I can easily put down a flat foot while seated. Seat height is 35", and it's the same on the newer ones according to a quick Googling.  Africa Twin, too.  Can't speak for any other DS/Adv bikes, but try one out.  They keep the seats pretty low so you can easily plant a foot off road.  I sometimes wish I was a couple inches smaller on the 230, as it can feel a bit cramped in certain situations (ie, I wish I had a full-size dirtbike :lol:), but is effortless to ride on the street.

SVT_Power

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 16, 2018, 02:26:39 PM
My 230L is pretty compact. I'm 5'10" and I can easily put down a flat foot while seated. Seat height is 35", and it's the same on the newer ones according to a quick Googling.  Africa Twin, too.  Can't speak for any other DS/Adv bikes, but try one out.  They keep the seats pretty low so you can easily plant a foot off road.  I sometimes wish I was a couple inches smaller on the 230, as it can feel a bit cramped in certain situations (ie, I wish I had a full-size dirtbike :lol:), but is effortless to ride on the street.

I'm 5'8, so I'm sure I could kind of do the hop off on one leg thing, but I do occasionally get stuck in gridlock stop and go city traffic and that would not be fun with a tall bike...

giant_mtb

Eh, just try sitting on one. You might be surprised.

MrH

A miata would fit you well. Also, an s2000
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

I feel like DSs are pretty soft sprung. I agree with giant, check it out.

SV's power band is a better fit in the city. From like 0-40 I'd bet it's faster. Just a matter of if you like the sound or not really.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 16, 2018, 05:38:50 PM

Yeah. They're nice and squishy IME.

CaminoRacer

I should get a Buell

giant_mtb

My buddy with the KX500 traded it and a shotgun for a Cadillac last fall.  He's coming up this weekend to pick up a brand new Husqy FE501. :rockon:

SVT_Power

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 16, 2018, 05:38:50 PM

SV's power band is a better fit in the city. From like 0-40 I'd bet it's faster. Just a matter of if you like the sound or not really.

I don't know if the SV would be faster 0-40, but I bet 5-40 it would walk the FZ all day.

So the thing I liked about the peaky I4 was that if I was gonna go fast enough to lose my license, I really had to intentionally get there by wringing the bike out  :lol:

SVT_Power

I've enjoyed doing long day trips on the FZ which don't really involve any real twisties but rather taking in the sights and what not. I've also always wanted to go motocamping. Maybe I'll stick to sport touring (less sport like the FZ, more touring like a v-strom or something?), but I will have to check out some DS's.

Damn it I need my insurance company to sort my stuff out quickly  :lol:

giant_mtb

Get yourself a single cylinder.  Join the club.

Speed_Racer

12,000 RPM

Yea I was gonna say, for all that adventure shit, get an adventure bike. For me personally, biking is a strictly 1 person deal. Next Monday will be 5 years from the last time wifey rode pillion (to go get her Rabbit).

Buddy of mine sent me a clip of this shit and now I can't stop thinking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DWyKs9w00I

With all the kart tracks here you'd think it would be a thing.... but it isn't.

shp4man

I took the Sporstster out for a run the other day. There's a back road just about 7 miles from my house...curvy road, nature, all that shit. I was passing old farts on Geezer Glides..  :lol:

SVT_Power

Appraiser is coming by tomorrow, he agreed on the phone that it's probably a write off.

Said after he looks, he should have a dollar value for me within 48 hrs. Hopefully he doesn't lowball me and I can collect my monies by end of the week (seems overly optimistic but no harm in hopin') and be shopping by the weekend!

SVT_Power

Appraiser came, appraiser saw, appraiser totaled.

Said I should have a dollar value by Friday from the adjuster. I'm almost in full blown shopping mode already  :lol:

Speed_Racer

Camped and toured Capital Reef NP yesterday.
I should have bought a bike like this YEARS ago, it was so much more relaxing and enjoyable than touring on my SV.

shp4man

Quote from: Speed_Racer on May 27, 2018, 11:29:20 AM
Camped and toured Capital Reef NP yesterday.
I should have bought a bike like this YEARS ago, it was so much more relaxing and enjoyable than touring on my SV.

Cool!

SVT_Power

Still waiting for my insurance company. Long story short, they tried to low ball me last week and now I'm waiting for them to get their act together. Hopefully will have a reasonable offer tomorrow.