Motorcycles.

Started by S204STi, July 21, 2008, 10:19:36 AM

shp4man

Need to change the oil in the Sportster today. I need to get off my lazy ass.

SVT_Power

Also fired up the FZ6 and just rode it for a minute to move it to another parking spot last night. As much as I'm ready for a new bike (and in all honesty, this was the best way to get rid of the bike because it was right at the point of needing some $$$ sunk into it for tires, valve check, etc.), I'm gonna be a little sad when insurance finally tows her away.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Going to check out a naked SV650 tonight.

I rode my buddy's SVs over the weekend just to get an idea of what they're like and the motor was a strange feeling. I felt very underwhelmed by the sensation, but at least just ripping around in town the speedo was indicating the bike wasn't as slow as it felt. But that could easily be mostly the positioning of the SV650s compared to the upright FZ. But the top end definitely wasn't there, as expected. The FZ really turned into a monster after 8k, but the SV by 7-8k felt like it was running out of breath.

Anyway I figure I'll give the SV a go, and if I get bored of it quickly I'll just change to something else.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

These Isle of Man people are just fucking NUTS.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 05, 2018, 09:36:35 PM
These Isle of Man people are just fucking NUTS.
Yes!!!!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

shp4man

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on June 06, 2018, 03:37:26 PM
Seems really pricey. 10 grand for a 500cc enduro?

Well, it's 450cc.  It's pricey, but on par price-wise with the European enduros, which are inherently not a Honda (ie, slightly over-engineered and less reliable).

12,000 RPM

Wow, I really haven't ridden since September. Time to get off my ass and put this thing up for sale. 20K street miles including 10K in NYC and some overnight trips with wifey.... a successful #trackday... I think I've had my fill.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 07, 2018, 11:55:07 AM
Wow, I really haven't ridden since September. Time to get off my ass and put this thing up for sale. 20K street miles including 10K in NYC and some overnight trips with wifey.... a successful #trackday... I think I've had my fill.
You'll be back.......

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on June 07, 2018, 04:21:34 PM
You'll be back.......
For sure. But I gotta let the itch build. And I need the money :cry:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 07, 2018, 04:48:27 PM
For sure. But I gotta let the itch build. And I need the money :cry:
I understand!

giant_mtb

Local bar hosted a bike night.  Part of a multi-event series where at the last one, an 883 Sportster is given away (must have been present at the opening event and at least one other to win).

Lots of cool bikes throughout the day. Sorry no closeups.

MX793

Quote from: shp4man on June 06, 2018, 03:37:26 PM
Seems really pricey. 10 grand for a 500cc enduro?

Considering that a purely off-road 450 Honda dirtbikes is $9300 with no lights, gauges, emissions equipment, certifications necessary for highway use, etc, $10k doesn't seem too out of line.

Also bear in mind that being based on an MX bike, this thing has fully adjustable suspension (3 way, front and rear).  Wouldn't be surprised if the rear shock had both high and low speed compression adjustment (4-way adjustable).  That kind of suspension hardware is not cheap.  Most street bikes have preload and maybe rebound adjustment on the rear.  High end sportbikes are the only ones I've seen come close to the kind of suspension adjustability you get from a bike like this.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

I seriously want one.  People are speculating that it's way down on power for a 450 (due to emissions and tuning) and not much of an upgrade over an un-corked 250L, but I don't believe that.  I'm sure it's down a bit, but I'm sure it's still plenty for its intended porpoise.

Speed_Racer

I did a 600 mile two-day ride to Arches and Canyonlands this weekend, and I can't get over how good this bike is at long trips. Aside from tons of luggage room, I averaged 46+ mpg with high winds and 80 mph freeways. It was a hot one though, mid 90s in the day and probably mid 80s at night.

I do need a good seat pad though - my buns were soooore by the end of the ride. Maybe an Airhawk but also looking at sheepskin - I've heard good things about it. 

I'm taking the Triumph to the drag strip this week for $15 open drag night. I'm going with a coworker who also rides (Victory) to kill an evening and see what we can manage. I've never dragged before, but it should be fun even if I don't set any good times.

CaminoRacer

I think I want to find a faired sport bike that is good on the highway with like a medium aggressive seating position. But avoids looking dorky.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

I've found padded bicycle under shorts work well for improving comfort on long hauls, even when it's hot and humid.  Did a 2000 mile, 4-day ride a couple of years ago, which kicked off with 800 miles on day 1, with pretty minimal discomfort.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Yep. I wear padded biking shorts when I ride. It's a godsend.

Rode my buddy's new Husqy FE501 yesterday.  Goddamn.  :wub:

Wanna talk about uncomfortable seats, though, holy shit that thing is like straddling a cement block.

MX793

You actually want a really hard seat on a serious off-road bike.  Makes it easier to shift your position.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Speed_Racer

I wore padded bike shorts this trip to see if it would help but it wasn't enough. I guess my butt is just too skinny haha

giant_mtb

Quote from: Speed_Racer on July 09, 2018, 08:47:54 AM
I wore padded bike shorts this trip to see if it would help but it wasn't enough. I guess my butt is just too skinny haha

My butt still gets sore on long rides.  Just gotta build up the callouses. :lol:

giant_mtb

Is it weird that this kind of stuff doesn't even make me go "holy shit! wow! no way!" anymore?  It's cool, epic, historical...but I dunno. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIQj708tWxU

MX793

What was most impressive was not so much the jump, but the bike that was used.  A modern MX bike would have no problem completing any of those.  The Red Bud national was this weekend and guys on the 250s were clearing LaRocco's Leap, which is a 130 ft uphill triple jump preceded by a tight 180 turn and all manner of ruts and bumps leading up to the jump face, not a smooth, high traction approach.  But those bikes are built to jump.  Long travel suspension, light weight (220 lbs), and neutral weight balance.  Trying a jump like that on a v-twin street bike that weighs 2x as much, has 1/3 the suspension travel, and more front-heavy weight distribution?  Pastrana mentioned the the bike also wasn't balanced left-to-right, with the engine poking out far enough on one side that he couldn't properly stand on the pegs.  That, to me was the more impressive part of it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on July 09, 2018, 01:36:48 PM
What was most impressive was not so much the jump, but the bike that was used.  A modern MX bike would have no problem completing any of those.  The Red Bud national was this weekend and guys on the 250s were clearing LaRocco's Leap, which is a 130 ft uphill triple jump preceded by a tight 180 turn and all manner of ruts and bumps leading up to the jump face, not a smooth, high traction approach.  But those bikes are built to jump.  Long travel suspension, light weight (220 lbs), and neutral weight balance.  Trying a jump like that on a v-twin street bike that weighs 2x as much, has 1/3 the suspension travel, and more front-heavy weight distribution?  Pastrana mentioned the the bike also wasn't balanced left-to-right, with the engine poking out far enough on one side that he couldn't properly stand on the pegs.  That, to me was the more impressive part of it.

Agreed.  I think that's the only part that I really found interesting.  Good info. :ohyeah:

SVT_Power

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 08, 2018, 10:52:40 PM
I think I want to find a faired sport bike that is good on the highway with like a medium aggressive seating position. But avoids looking dorky.

Could do something like Rag had before, get a Honduh F4i and replace the clip-ons with a handlebar

giant_mtb

Couple pics from yesterday's ride.  Did about 160 miles, mostly dirt road/ORV trail with some pavement mixed in...I reallllly wanna get my bike on the road now.  Been waiting for my insurance guy to give me a quote but haven't heard.  The 230L will cruise 60mph all day long, but it gets a little buzzy over 65 and I feel bad wringing it out...seems a common thing is to gear it up a little bit with a different front sprocket.

I really just need a bigger bike, both motor- and frame-wise.  The 230L is like a 3/4-size violin.  It's low and a bit cramped.  But at the same time I never wanna get rid of it. :lol:

FoMoJo

Judging by the video, Clooney took quite a flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8c6mxQl0dE
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Speed_Racer

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 12, 2018, 01:03:44 PM
Judging by the video, Clooney took quite a flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8c6mxQl0dE
Same thing happened to me back in '05..........