Evo X vs. STI: The final answer?

Started by Raza , July 25, 2008, 08:26:53 PM

Raza

Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type UK versus Mitsubishi Evo X FQ300 SST
Best of enemies
Impreza versus Evo. The names are the same, but this time the protagonists are very different
Text: Henry Catchpole / Photos: Malcom Griffiths

May 2008

Impreza versus Evo is one of the classic running battles. A bit like England against France but with more loyal armies, or Boeing versus Airbus but with bigger wings. It has bred a startling rate of development over the years as Subaru and Mitsubishi have striven to gain a decisive advantage, both on the stages of the WRC and in the showrooms. Arguably, Evo has edged ahead of STI in generations VIII and IX, but there are plenty of Subaru fanatics who would differ.

Now there are two very new versions of these protagonists. STI might be the same initials and X might be a very logical Roman step on from IX but these two cars are much more than headlight updates. For the first time these cars are trying to be a bit more mainstream.

In the red corner (hustling south down the M5) is the new hatchbacked Impreza, packing 296bhp from its turbocharged 2.5-litre flat four. The 4wd system is based on a viscous centre differential with limited slip diffs on the front and rear axles and VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control) keeping everything rubbery-side-down. The gearbox has six forward ratios and is operated by a clutch pedal and gearlever. The STI weighs in at 1505kg and ?24,995.

In the ever so slightly darker red corner (and already pacing around, somewhere out on Exmoor) is the new pointy-nosed Lancer Evolution X FQ300. It comes with 291bhp from the new all-alloy 4B11 turbocharged 2-litre engine (replacing the iron block 4G63). Its chassis has four abbreviations in its arsenal - S-AWC (Super All Wheel Control), which juggles the AYC, ACD and ASC (Active Yaw Control, Active Centre Differential and Active Stability Control). The biggest change, however, is the introduction of a new Twin Clutch Sport Shift Transmission (TC SST) actuated by two paddles on the steering column. The FQ300 SST tips the scales at 1590kg and ?31,999.

It has gone teatime when the two protagonists square up to each other with unblinking xenon stares. The shape of the new Subaru has had to put up with a lot of bad press, but sitting next to the Evo X the STI is arguably the more impressive looking car. The Lancer looks great from a distance and photographs well, but get up close and the gaping grille with the guts on display behind looks messy, while the rear looks like a middle management saloon with a plastic diffuser and a big wing tacked on. Somehow where previous Evos looked homologation- hard, this one looks like it has only seen a rally stage in a computer game. The STI seems to sit lower, and the wider arches look much more purposeful, even if the front and rear still appear to have been designed by completely different people and the 17in rims look tiny.

With the promise of a long, light evening to come and any residual traffic trickling off the moors to find shelter for the night, this empty wilderness is a perfect arena. The roads are made for these cars: fast and committed across the moors then switching into steep descents and climbs that are too narrow for supercars as you jink between walls and trees and round hairpins towards the coast. Everywhere there are unseen bumps and even the most well-sighted corners can catch you out, no matter how many times you?ve driven them. Four-wheel drive feels essential if you want to attack.

First up, the Impreza. Drop into the soft, velvety Alcantara bucket and you?re presented with glowing red dials, quite a big steering wheel and a deep, dry rasp as you twist the key and the engine turns over a couple of times before catching. The gearshift is tall, tight and very upright in its short movements around the gate. The steering is nicely weighted, but it?s curiously indistinct around the dead ahead. There?s a certain amount of roll as you turn into a corner too, so there?s a moment before you really feel the chassis start to bite and the steering start to feed back. If you?re timid or just ambling along, then the Subaru can seem slightly reluctant.

What you need to do is be bold; turn in hard and, once into the meat of the steering, you?ll feel the front Dunlops grip and possibly scrub a little into understeer if you?re carrying good speed. As soon as you?re into the corner you should be thinking about getting back on the power. With 300lb ft you?re not short of urge whichever gear you?re in, so it?s just a case of how you deploy it. The slightly slow-acting viscous coupling of the central diff works best if you progressively squeeze the throttle to the carpet rather than just jumping on it. This way you?ll feel the tail move round before the front pulls you out of the corner in one smooth flow.

There is of course another way to approach a corner, which is to trail-brake as you turn in. The brakes make a slightly odd sound (like a huge computer powering down) but with the weight over the front axle the steering weights up instantly and the rear swings round nicely as you turn in. Down the next straight you can hold onto the revs up to 7000rpm though it seems more natural to change just after 5500rpm. If you?re chasing an Evo, you?re unlikely to need to wring the engine out anyway, because the big red wing in front of me isn?t exactly storming away into the sunset?

You always feel like you?re sitting slightly higher and more upright in an Evo. The steering wheel is tiny and the leather it?s wrapped in is beautifully soft. The magnesium paddles attached to the steering column (rather than the wheel) are cool to the touch and make a sonorous ting! if you flick them with a fingernail. They?re also a good length so you can still reach them if you need to change up or down while entering or exiting a corner. The Subaru has various bewildering settings for the throttle mapping and central diff (Sport Sharp and Auto seems the best balance), all controlled by a silver knob and switch behind the gearlever, but that?s nothing compared with the Evo, which really needs a series of evening classes to fathom. The gearbox has three settings controlled by a rocker switch: Normal and Sport simply seem to refer to how the ?box will react if you ignore the paddles and leave it in Drive. Have a squint at the owner?s manual, however, and you?ll discover a third way, which is only accessible if you are at a standstill. Hold the switch forwards for three seconds and now you?re in S-Sport, which, according to the manual, is only to be used on race tracks and not your local roads?

Then there?s a button to let you worry about whether Tarmac, Gravel or Snow would be the most fun setting for the chassis (Tarmac seemed best on road, Gravel on track). Then, after a while of playing around, you might decide that you?d like to banish the stability nanny. This is not, as I discovered, done by pressing the button next to the chassis settings marked ?AFS off?. Press this and the lights will merely stop swivelling to show you around corners. You need the button to your right marked ?ASC Off?. Obviously.

And what does all this leave you with once you actually settle down to driving? A slightly unsatisfying car, I?m afraid. Somewhere inside the Evo X is the brilliantly pointy, adjustable chassis that has been improving for nine generations. But Mitsubishi has tried to civilize the tenth gen and it?s missed the mark. The steering is more direct than the Impreza?s and therefore initially nicer, but you very soon realise that it has no real feel. For a car that you want to drive on its nose this is not good, because you just don?t have the confidence to throw it into corners. It feels up on tiptoes and it?s more instantly sensitive and adjustable than the STI but you can?t enjoy it because you feel like you?re controlling what?s going on underneath you by remote. It really is like playing a computer game.

The engine is disappointing too, feeling very thin in its delivery and lacking in grunt compared with the STI. It is also possibly the dullest sounding engine ever to drone from a performance car ? it?s like listening to someone Hoovering a couple of rooms away. The gearing is very short, which is fine when you can flick up and down the box so easily, but as Roger Green says, there?s a permanent flurry of activity going on yet somehow you?re never quite in the right gear. The best solution is to leave it in Drive and let the spookily intuitive computer program shuffle cogs for you. Not something I ever thought I?d say about an Evo.

The Evo X SST is still a very quick car across the ground, its ability to carry speed is phenomenal and there are moments when you catch glimpses of why we love Evos, but they?re fleeting thanks to the layer of desensitising civility Mitsubishi has added in. A car like the Evo is not, should not, be a mainstream car.

Jumping back into the Impreza as the sun sinks, it?s clear the STI wins this battle. It?s more engaging to drive, the engine feels much stronger and there?s simply more of what you want, what you expect, from a thrilling rally-stage refugee. When you add in the price difference too, it?s a clear winner. The worrying thing for both manufacturers, however, is that we?d have an Evo IX over either of them?

I bolded what I felt were the relevant parts, so if you're skimming, they jump out.  It seems like the tables have turned, and the STI is no longer the dull one of the two, like it used to be.  Although, that last sentence is rather telling.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrouptests/220788/subaru_impreza_wrx_sti_type_uk_versus_mitsubishi_evo_x_fq300_sst.html

More pics and acceleration table at the link

Seems there is proof to my "faster isn't better, better is better" philosophy.  Maybe some of you ought to start listening.

Discuss!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Every single time I see the STI in that awesome red color I want to just run down to the dealership and plunk down the keys for my car and the down payment on an 08 STI in that very color.

Though honestly there will never be a "Final" answer with these two cars, as long as they continue to be made.  But I can't help but love the current STI; it stands the entire performance car establishment on its head.

Soup DeVille

9/10ths of a second on a lap time is all but meaningless to anybody not in full competition. When its that close, yes, the better car may still be the slower one. Move that gap out to four or five seconds though, and the story may change.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

But does this round go to Subaru?

It seems like it took Mitsubishi fucking up for Subaru to win.  Like the champ showing up to the fight drunk and a featherweight knocking him out.  Good for Subaru, though.  I guess. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

I'm not too happy with the direction either car has taken in this generation, so I find it hard to say that one fucked up and the other didn't.

They're both still very good cars.

Yes, Subaru won this time I think.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 25, 2008, 08:38:50 PM
I'm not too happy with the direction either car has taken in this generation, so I find it hard to say that one fucked up and the other didn't.

They're both still very good cars.

Yes, Subaru won this time I think.

So Stupidru fucked up less?  I mean, the last STI felt like driving any other car unless you were pushing it as hard as you could go, whereas the Evo (VIII) felt special every second you were in it.  I guess they didn't have anywhere to go but up.  However, styling obviously hadn't hit rock bottom.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

No one buys Subarus because the look good.  I would know.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

Getting back to the gist of the article, I think this article isn't so much about the cars, but rather the fact that newer cars are getting "softer" than their predecessors -- and it's not just these two.

Ultimately, most magazine-racing enthusiasts, supported by a lot of text, think that the best Evo ever made was the Evo V or VI and the best WRX ever made was the GC-style Type RA or 22B.  Hardly anyone mentions anything made after 2002.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Raza  on July 25, 2008, 08:45:49 PM
So Stupidru fucked up less?  I mean, the last STI felt like driving any other car unless you were pushing it as hard as you could go, whereas the Evo (VIII) felt special every second you were in it.  I guess they didn't have anywhere to go but up.  However, styling obviously hadn't hit rock bottom.

How can this be?

If I drilled some holes in the muffler of the STI and ripped out the carpet, would that help?

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 25, 2008, 10:56:56 PM
How can this be?

If I drilled some holes in the muffler of the STI and ripped out the carpet, would that help?

I doubt it. 

The car didn't feel as good as the standard WRX. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Top Gear picked the X over the STi by a large margin.  There is a very cool part of the segment where the X is circling the STi with all 4 tires spinning continuously for multiple circles.  It's pretty cool. 

Cookie Monster

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 25, 2008, 11:14:23 PM
Top Gear picked the X over the STi by a large margin.  There is a very cool part of the segment where the X is circling the STi with all 4 tires spinning continuously for multiple circles.  It's pretty cool. 
+1

I still like the STI more but the X seemed to perform better.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

280Z Turbo

Quote from: thecarnut on July 25, 2008, 11:18:09 PM
+1

I still like the STI more but the X seemed to perform better.

No it didn't. Remember what Jeremy did to the lap time?

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 25, 2008, 11:25:46 PM
No it didn't. Remember what Jeremy did to the lap time?
wat?

I don't remember the laptimes but he seemed to enjoy driving it much more.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Middle_Path

I like hatchback type cars, but that STI is FUGLY! It's gotten worse each generation. I do come to the conclusion of the writers that I'd taken an Evo IX over any of them, but I like some of the gismos in the Evo X.
You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

giant_mtb

Why do you have to buy a SuperSpecial FQ747803 SUPERDUPER BODY 440F version of the Evo just to beat/equal the normal, plain STI?  Hmm...

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 26, 2008, 12:06:05 AM
Why do you have to buy a SuperSpecial FQ747803 SUPERDUPER BODY 440F version of the Evo just to beat/equal the normal, plain STI?  Hmm...
:huh:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

NomisR

Quote from: the Teuton on July 25, 2008, 09:56:02 PM
Getting back to the gist of the article, I think this article isn't so much about the cars, but rather the fact that newer cars are getting "softer" than their predecessors -- and it's not just these two.

Ultimately, most magazine-racing enthusiasts, supported by a lot of text, think that the best Evo ever made was the Evo V or VI and the best WRX ever made was the GC-style Type RA or 22B.  Hardly anyone mentions anything made after 2002.

So basically, those cars started to suck ever since Subaru and Mitsubishi decided to bring them to the US!

I blame the damn yanks for sucking up a car!

the Teuton

Quote from: NomisR on July 26, 2008, 01:25:33 AM
So basically, those cars started to suck ever since Subaru and Mitsubishi decided to bring them to the US!

I blame the damn yanks for sucking up a car!

It's people like you with the cash-money who wanted their sports cars to be "refined."  I blame you by proxy.

sportyaccordy

I think the X is beautiful... ESPECIALLY next to the STi. And as far as performance, these are turbocharged rally cars. Any flaws can be fixed with some suspension parts and a boost controller

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 26, 2008, 06:43:32 AM
I think the X is beautiful... ESPECIALLY next to the STi. And as far as performance, these are turbocharged rally cars. Any flaws can be fixed with some suspension parts and a boost controller

Any car can be modified into a good one.

That's not the point. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TBR

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 26, 2008, 12:06:05 AM

Pretty sure the FQ300 SST would just be the equivalent of our GSR (which is just the regular Evo X with the DSG gear box).

TBR

Also, Evo is the first magazine I know of to give the driving involvement nod to the EVO IX and STI over the Evo X.

2o6

Quote from: thecarnut on July 25, 2008, 11:32:30 PM
wat?

I don't remember the laptimes but he seemed to enjoy driving it much more.

Clarkson had the FQ-360, which was not fair aginst the STi's 300HP. In the laptime, they switched to the standard FQ-300, which was actually slower around the track than the Impreza.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 2o6 on July 26, 2008, 11:23:27 AM

Clarkson had the FQ-360, which was not fair aginst the STi's 300HP. In the laptime, they switched to the standard FQ-300, which was actually slower around the track than the Impreza.
Oh, right.

My bad.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quote from: TBR on July 26, 2008, 10:47:09 AM
Also, Evo is the first magazine I know of to give the driving involvement nod to the EVO IX and STI over the Evo X.

I don't think so.  I thought many others have said that as well?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

I miss my IX, it was very raw and simple. A perfect drivers car.

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on July 26, 2008, 11:49:06 AM

No American mag has, but then the American STI is a bit different from the Euro/Japanese one.

omicron

Quote from: Raza  on July 26, 2008, 11:49:06 AM

I believe Wheels gave the nod to the STI over the Evo X, too. I'll post the comparison when it becomes avaliable.