Evo X vs. STI: The final answer?

Started by Raza , July 25, 2008, 08:26:53 PM

JYODER240

I don't understand people's obsession with a soft cushy ride. I had to give a salesman a ride in my car and all he did was complain about how hard it rode. I don't even notice it. Besides that its not like its physically painful or something :huh:
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

The Pirate

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 28, 2008, 10:20:32 AM
I don't understand people's obsession with a soft cushy ride. I had to give a salesman a ride in my car and all he did was complain about how hard it rode. I don't even notice it. Besides that its not like its physically painful or something :huh:

Most people aren't driving enthusiasts - in fact, they have zero interest in performance other than a quick 0 to 60 time.  Witness the Toyota Camry V6.  Most people want a cushy, insulated ride for their commute to work, trips to the grocery store, etc.  Again, I'll reference the Toyota Camry; it's one of the best sellers in the U.S. because it's what a lot of folks are looking for in a car.

And yes, I've gotten comments about the stiff ride in my car, too.  Funny though, I'm used to my car (super direct steering with no dead spot, taut ride, stays flat on corners, etc. - you know this stuff) and I was driving my brother's car last week.  It's an '01 Buick Regal.  Nice car, but it felt like everything connected to the road had a layer of jello as an insulator.  Got back into my car, with all it's directness and feedback - it felt great!
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

sportyaccordy

My dad drove stickshift for 40 years, 15 or so of which were in a 3rd world country... c'mon guys

Raza

Your car is rather soft riding as well.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

I don't understand people's obsession with a soft cushy ride.

Yes you do.

Quote from: the Teuton on July 27, 2008, 08:36:34 AM
When every inch of the city sits on a hill and you're in the middle of fairly heavy traffic all the time, you tend to appreciate automatic transmissions. 

I've never had a problem with that. I was terrified of hills when I was learning how to drive stick, but now it's not a problem. Maybe I don't appreciate the advantages of an automatic in stop-and-go traffic because I've never had one. :huh:

That said, there is a place and time for auto transmissions, just as there is a place and time for cushy rides. Three of my friends and I took a ride to the lake on Saturday in my buddy's big Oldsmobile. Some tunes on the radio, the windows rolled down, good company, and a soft ride: what more could you ask for?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on July 28, 2008, 11:38:28 AM
What are you using to qualify it having a soft ride?

350Zs have 314# springs in front, 342-427# springs in the rear. I don't know what that factors out to through the geometry, but for reference, I have 400/300# springs on my car (more than double the stock rate on both ends) and my gf doesn't complain.

Plus there are many stock sports cars that are pretty softly sprung (the McLaren F1 being the most extreme example) that still deliver great handling. Masochism isn't a necessary trait for a "purist"

Raza

What am I using?
My time spent driving the car.  It's not Buick soft, but it's not harsh.  Nothing worth complaining over.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

What am I using?
My time spent driving the car.  It's not Buick soft, but it's not harsh.  Nothing worth complaining over.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 28, 2008, 12:16:10 PM

350Zs have 314# springs in front, 342-427# springs in the rear. I don't know what that factors out to through the geometry, but for reference, I have 400/300# springs on my car (more than double the stock rate on both ends) and my gf doesn't complain.

Plus there are many stock sports cars that are pretty softly sprung (the McLaren F1 being the most extreme example) that still deliver great handling. Masochism isn't a necessary trait for a "purist"

You know, the more I play around with my suspension, the more respect I have for the engineers of cars that are able to create cars with a good balance of handling and ride quality.  It's really really difficult.  Having too much adjustability sometimes isn't such a good thing.

MX793

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 28, 2008, 12:16:10 PM

Spring rates aren't the only factor.  High damping compression can make for a harsh ride over sharp bumps.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TBR

I think a lot of it is people get used to a certain ride quality. My dad has commented on how bad the Prelude rides, but I don't notice it (and never have, perhaps I was too distracted by the lack of body roll). On the otherhand, I almost instantly notice when I ride is too soft, I recently rode in a first gen Durango and it was shocking, but I don't remember thinking it bobbed that much when I was driving one on a daily basis.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on July 28, 2008, 06:58:14 PM
I think a lot of it is people get used to a certain ride quality. My dad has commented on how bad the Prelude rides, but I don't notice it (and never have, perhaps I was too distracted by the lack of body roll). On the otherhand, I almost instantly notice when I ride is too soft, I recently rode in a first gen Durango and it was shocking, but I don't remember thinking it bobbed that much when I was driving one on a daily basis.

I'm pretty much only comfortable in firmer cars.  My dad mentioned that my Passat is about as firm as the Boxster's (it is actually softer, but it's closer than you'd think; the Passat rides more firmly than any German sedan I've ever driven), but it's a very comfortable ride.  The way you'd describe it if you were writing a review would be "firm, but compliant".  As a passenger in a car, say the BMW 5 series, I noticed that the car sort of crashed about and rode poorly, despite not being noticeably firmer than my Passat.  That's what I call a bad ride.  Or a car that is so soft, you get seasick, like an older Lexus LS430. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

I tend to understand the soft ride thing now that I'm married and have to be considerate of someone else.  Frankly my car would be a worthless GT car for the two of us if I put STI springs on it.  Would I like it?  Sure, for a while.  But we do a lot of looooong drives which would be kinda lame in a car with an ultrastiff ride.  Now, soft and underdamped is just as bad, but there is a happy medium somewhere in there that I like.

sportyaccordy

A lot of it has to do with NVH too. I had a loose exhaust hanger for a bit and over bumps I would get so annoyed with the rattle. When I got it fixed, somehow it felt like the car rode better.

The best balanced suspension I have ever ridden on was my old Accord's Koni/Neuspeed suspension. It was literally perfect... strong low speed damping, perfect medium & high speed damping, and the springs were not too soft but not too stiff. Well they could have been a little stiffer. But that was perfect. Minimize the shock w/o isolating the driver. Not easy at all.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=15318.msg855678#msg855678 date=1217266708

Compared to? The 911s I've driven had a more comfortable ride and I'd probably throw Vette's in their as well. The only cars I've driven that definently are firmer are the S2000's, Z06's, and Vipers. Even for sports cars and GTs mine ride's on the firmer side. Don't get me wrong if it was up to me I'd like it even more buttoned down but I'd never call it soft riding.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 29, 2008, 09:35:10 AM
Compared to? The 911s I've driven had a more comfortable ride and I'd probably throw Vette's in their as well. The only cars I've driven that definently are firmer are the S2000's, Z06's, and Vipers. Even for sports cars and GTs mine ride's on the firmer side. Don't get me wrong if it was up to me I'd like it even more buttoned down but I'd never call it soft riding.

I certainly didn't feel that way.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on July 29, 2008, 04:43:17 PM
I certainly didn't feel that way.

Well, the 350Z isn't exactly a soft car though.  But I think it's too stiff considering how it handles compared to the competitors

S204STi

Quote from: NomisR on July 29, 2008, 04:52:10 PM
Well, the 350Z isn't exactly a soft car though.  But I think it's too stiff considering how it handles compared to the competitors

I always thought it handled extremely well; in fact, that was a strong suit.

NomisR

Quote from: R-inge on July 29, 2008, 05:57:10 PM
I always thought it handled extremely well; in fact, that was a strong suit.

I'm not saying it doesn't handle well, but comparing some other cars in a similar class, it doesn't really outhandle them yet it's noticeably firmer than the other cars.  Rx8 is a good example.   

S204STi

Quote from: NomisR on July 29, 2008, 06:12:03 PM
I'm not saying it doesn't handle well, but comparing some other cars in a similar class, it doesn't really outhandle them yet it's noticeably firmer than the other cars.  Rx8 is a good example.  

That is a good point.