Saying Goodbye... (and saying hello)

Started by Raza , July 30, 2008, 05:33:41 PM

Tave

Quote from: GoCougs on August 04, 2008, 09:35:47 PM
Purely in terms of depreciation, try graphing some values using KBB. My hunch is that the first three years is where it's the steepest, and flattens out relatively quick after that.

Then it doesn't make much sense to sell it shortly after you've taken the biggest hit.

Depending on how well the car runs, you might not be saving just a "buck," but thousands or even tens of thousands if you keep a car for ten years compared to if you buy two cars in that same time frame. Now obviously, it isn't worth it to pour a bunch of money into some heap that always breaks down, or to have a car that you can't depend on, but I think in most cases a 5 year old car isn't anywhere near that point.

I mean, hell, a lot of people only drive 10,000 miles a year. Would you really be that worried about a car breaking down @ 50K? It's just getting started. :huh:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

AltinD

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

AltinD

Congrats on the new car, and who better then me could understand your feelings. I recently split from my Goldie after almost 6.5 years of relationship. I loved the car and still do ... yeah the new one is great, powerfull, technologically advanced and so on, but it lacks the finesse, charm and class of the old one.

BTW are your tails LED or with regular bulbs? All the Jetta-s sold here have LED taillights.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Raza

Quote from: AltinD on August 05, 2008, 11:49:38 AM
Congrats on the new car, and who better then me could understand your feelings. I recently split from my Goldie after almost 6.5 years of relationship. I loved the car and still do ... yeah the new one is great, powerfull, technologically advanced and so on, but it lacks the finesse, charm and class of the old one.

BTW are your tails LED or with regular bulbs? All the Jetta-s sold here have LED taillights.

I believe they are regular bulbs.  LEDs are available, but I don't know if they are available for my model. 

The Wolfsburg is sort of a quiet edition.  It's not even on the VW website.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sparkplug

Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

Quote from: 68_427 on August 05, 2008, 11:11:34 PM
congrats, i dig that gen Passat

He got rid of the Passat, and bought the Jetta. ;)

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

68_427

Yes i know, i was being lazy as usual and left out a couple things.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=15371.msg858659#msg858659 date=1217995035
I believe they are regular bulbs.  LEDs are available, but I don't know if they are available for my model. 

The Wolfsburg is sort of a quiet edition.  It's not even on the VW website.

In the US all Jetta's get regular bulbs, but Passats get the LED tail lights.

However from my time on the MKV forums on VWVortex a lot of folks buy the LED tails for the Jetta and put them in. I have to say the LED tails do look nice. However the smoked ones also look pretty good so I doubt I would change it if it were me.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 06, 2008, 09:48:56 AM
In the US all Jetta's get regular bulbs, but Passats get the LED tail lights.

However from my time on the MKV forums on VWVortex a lot of folks buy the LED tails for the Jetta and put them in. I have to say the LED tails do look nice. However the smoked ones also look pretty good so I doubt I would change it if it were me.

Yeah, I'm not going to change them.  I've been behind cars with LED lamps and they are pretty obnoxious.  I want to be seen when braking, I don't want to blind the people behind me. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

Congrats!

I miss my car... mainly because I haven't driven it in a month+. But at least it's getting some good garage time.

Question... how do you typically keep your black cars clean in the winter? Probably the thing I hate most about my car is that it looks absolutely filthy for 4 months out of the year.

Tave

White cars don't keep clean in the winter. In fact, I don't think any color looks attractive with heaps of snow, slush, and dirt smeared on it.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

r0tor

didn't see this until now for some reason... congrats on the new car
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ifcar

Quote from: Tave on August 07, 2008, 08:32:30 AM
White cars don't keep clean in the winter. In fact, I don't think any color looks attractive with heaps of snow, slush, and dirt smeared on it.

Beige and silver come out all right.

Tave

Quote from: ifcar on August 07, 2008, 09:05:07 AM
Beige and silver come out all right.

Eh--not so much in the winter. In the summer, yes I agree with you. But dirty snow melt and gritty ice make all cars look equally wretched. :huh:

For reference, I don't get to wash my car for a good five-six months once winter sets in. I'm guessing Chi town is pretty similar.

ifcar

Quote from: Tave on August 07, 2008, 09:26:11 AM
Eh--not so much in the winter. In the summer, yes I agree with you. But dirty snow melt and gritty ice make all cars look equally wretched. :huh:

For reference, I don't get to wash my car for a good five-six months once winter sets in. I'm guessing Chi town is pretty similar.

Salt is much more visible on darker colors though.

850CSi

Agreed, but it's far worse on black than anything else.

Tave

Quote from: ifcar on August 07, 2008, 09:33:00 AM
Salt is much more visible on darker colors though.

I agree, but after months of build-up it starts to even out.

NomisR

My cars stays clean in the winter.. move south.

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on August 07, 2008, 09:52:18 AM
My cars stays clean in the winter.. move south.

I would, if it weren't for the southerners.  And the weather. 

;)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on August 07, 2008, 09:03:20 AM
didn't see this until now for some reason... congrats on the new car

Thanks!  It's really a lot of fun.

I can't wait until I finish these tires.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Nissan's old "Sandstone beige" hid snow/salt pretty well.  I had people ask me if I washed my car on a daily basis during the winter because it never looked dirty.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on August 05, 2008, 07:36:50 AM
Then it doesn't make much sense to sell it shortly after you've taken the biggest hit.

Depending on how well the car runs, you might not be saving just a "buck," but thousands or even tens of thousands if you keep a car for ten years compared to if you buy two cars in that same time frame. Now obviously, it isn't worth it to pour a bunch of money into some heap that always breaks down, or to have a car that you can't depend on, but I think in most cases a 5 year old car isn't anywhere near that point.

I mean, hell, a lot of people only drive 10,000 miles a year. Would you really be that worried about a car breaking down @ 50K? It's just getting started. :huh:

Depends on what sense is. If you've got $2MM in cash sitting in a brokerage account getting in and out of $25-30k cars every two years ain't a big deal.

If said car ran perfectly and never broke down even after 10 years one is missing out on much safer, much better performing vehicles that are now on the market. That's definitely a cost.

My 4-5 year horizon is not borne of reliability concerns but that just happens to be about the average generation lifespan, plus in that time I'll put on about 100,000 miles - proverbial aligning of the automotive stars if you will.

JYODER240

Sometimes buying a new car isn't about saving as much as possible. Some people just enjoy getting a new car every couple of years.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

850CSi

Quote from: the Teuton on August 03, 2008, 02:20:08 PM
If you can keep it for eight years, you'll definitely get your money's worth out of it.

How long do people usually keep new cars?  That's an odd question, but my brother, for instance, bought his Saturn new in 2000 and has kept it ever since and plans to drive it until it no longer will run.

I think I'll likely keep my car for 6+ at a minimum; potentially much longer.

Tave

Quote from: JYODER240 on August 07, 2008, 10:17:04 PM
Sometimes buying a new car isn't about saving as much as possible. Some people just enjoy getting a new car every couple of years.

I understand that (and if I had the cash I'd be one of those people). I was answering Teuton's question based on what I considered to be an "optimum" life cycle of a car (which I equated with value), not the desires of the driver.

Quote from: GoCougs on August 07, 2008, 08:40:33 PM
Depends on what sense is. If you've got $2MM in cash sitting in a brokerage account getting in and out of $25-30k cars every two years ain't a big deal.

No Way! You mean to tell me that the wealthy (who probably represent 1% of all buyers), can buy cars whenever they want? Goll-ee, I never knew that there fact Mr. Cougs. :evildude:

Raza

I passes 600 miles yesterday.  Official break in is over.  I'll still take it somewhat easy until I reach 1000, but now I won't mind going a little deeper into the rev range now and then...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Raza

I filled up after just half a tank this time, since I was in for an unpredictable trip.  That half tank was only 15.3mpg. 

But all in all, that's not much different from the Passat in all suburban driving.  I don't take it easy, and 15mpg was about what I got in that car.  So far on this tank I'm averaging higher though.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i