More shake ups at the home garage...

Started by Raza , August 07, 2008, 04:37:37 PM

Vinsanity

Well, maybe he's talking more about the "cute face with extra volume in all the right places" type of fat chick.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=15445.msg863580#msg863580 date=1219111028
Hmm, this could definitely make into the price range at some point...

I wouldn't be surprised if maintaining one of those makes a 911 look like chump change.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=15445.msg863641#msg863641 date=1219117165

What fat chicks do you know?
Maybe not a fat chick, but it certainly isn't flattering.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I would consider a 350Z or G35 Coupe when I'm shopping for my next Mustang, but the rearend of the Vert is just....bulbuous.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=15445.msg863550#msg863550 date=1219105021
How do my reasons suck? 
After all these years Raza, and you still can't tell when my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek?  I'm disapointed.

JYODER240

I think it looks good in that picture :huh:
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT666

From the rear the car's ass looks huge and fat.  That picture doesn't do a good job of showing it, but it was the best I could come up with at the time.  Sorry, but the rearend ain't pretty.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 18, 2008, 10:51:32 PM
After all these years Raza, and you still can't tell when my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek?  I'm disapointed.

Oh, too right. 

Although I saw a GT vert with the top down, and it did look damn good.  But I just don't think it's the right car for me right now.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

I like it. 

Now this angle isn't particularly flattering:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

I was on a big maserati stint awhile back, i really really really wanted one. I spent a good amount of time pouring over(what little) information was available. I found a Owners Forum and spent a good amount of time there for a few weeks reading up on them. The allure of a rare car with a premium nameplate packed with a ferrari V8 was very very tempting. It was/is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to get into a ferrari V8 without breaking the 40K barrier(i found nice cars for around 30K).

Anyway to the point, the cars are actually not bad as far as cost of upkeep is concerned beyond one key area. The automated manual that alot came with are VERY problematic and prone to a specific failure. There is a pump inside(exact name escapes me) that controls fluid pressure for shifting between gears, when it goes the car is stuck in gear(normally second) and requires pump replacement. It seemed that the average cost for the job was around 4-5K.
Other than that i saw very little in the way of high cost problems. The other problems aren't associated with cost, it's just the design of the car. Bare in mind i haven't driven one but read enough reviews(both magazine and owner reviews) to come to the conclusion that the Ferrari V8 is about all this car has as far as performance. It's a GT car, period. The overall driving feel on the road(highway) and in the twisties is probably more similar to a 5 series than a boxster. Get some seat time in one if you want, and don't even consider anything other than a MANUAL like you posted(should be a no brainer) but i have a hard time imagining you being happy with the performance(lack of) this car offers compared to the others on you list like the S2000 and 350Z Roadster.

FlatBlackCaddy

That Black 350Z looks nice, though what doesn't look good in black.

Personally if i wanted a open top car i would have most of the same entries as you would.

S2000
Miata
Z3
Boxster
996 911(i'd stretch the price for this)

Personally i wouldn't be considering the 350Z, If i were going japanese i'd prefer the lighter feeling and pure experience of a miata, the s2000 would only be an option because they are cheap and have good power compared to the miata.

Raza

That's good to know about the Maser.  If the prices drop 50% within the next 18 months, I might buy my first Italian car!

One of the draws to the 350ZR, I admit, is that it isn't perfect out of the box.  But I could use it to learn a bit more about suspensions, work on the handling components, and actually do a little DIY work finally.  I don't want to take huge risks with the Wolf because it's a daily driver, so if I tackle a job that's too big for me to handle over a weekend because I'm such a neophyte, that becomes a real problem.  If I bite off more than I can chew in a weekend car, I can just chew longer. 

The MX-5; sure, they take well to aftermarket work, but that seems too obvious. 

The S2000 is an accomplished dual sport car right out of the box. 

But the 911 offers its own set of unique challenges, and that is incredibly appealing. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on August 19, 2008, 11:27:47 AM
That's good to know about the Maser.  If the prices drop 50% within the next 18 months, I might buy my first Italian car!

One of the draws to the 350ZR, I admit, is that it isn't perfect out of the box.  But I could use it to learn a bit more about suspensions, work on the handling components, and actually do a little DIY work finally.  I don't want to take huge risks with the Wolf because it's a daily driver, so if I tackle a job that's too big for me to handle over a weekend because I'm such a neophyte, that becomes a real problem.  If I bite off more than I can chew in a weekend car, I can just chew longer. 

The MX-5; sure, they take well to aftermarket work, but that seems too obvious. 

The S2000 is an accomplished dual sport car right out of the box. 

But the 911 offers its own set of unique challenges, and that is incredibly appealing. 

I wouldn't have too much hope that the maserati prices will drop too much in another year. I've seen a few(very few) coupes touch the high 20's but other than that i'd expect the price to be the same if not a few grand less. There isn't really a ton of these around(even less manuals) so they aren't giving them away.

You had a 986 boxster didn't you?

Why don't you have a newer one on the table?

Cost factor?

It's amazing that for all the cars out there when it comes down to it the selection is always pretty small.

Raza

I had a 987 Boxster S, a 2007; one of the early ones with the 3.4 Variocam that debuted with the Cayman S.  It was a hell of a car and a hell of an engine.  It wasn't my decision to let it go. 

I can't afford to get a 987.  Price point here is 15-16 grand.  Slim pickings at that price for a relatively new sports car; some hardtop 1999 911s are running around at 18K, but the convertible would be a tougher buy.  I'd like to get into another Porsche, but I don't see it happening for some time. 

15K can get me a late AP1 S2000 (AP2s are still holding strong), a 2006 350ZR Enthusiast, a slightly older Touring (that's the model I'd go for; the Grand Touring which adds Brembos costs too much), a 2003-04 Z4 2.5i with low miles or 3.0i with higher miles, or a 2000-01 Corvette with medium miles.  Obviously newer MX-5s and MR-2s are available as well. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

I still say 2003 Cobra Vert.  Imagine the tuning potential.  My next Mustang will be either a 2005 GT or a 2003 Cobra.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on August 19, 2008, 03:38:08 PM
I had a 987 Boxster S, a 2007; one of the early ones with the 3.4 Variocam that debuted with the Cayman S.  It was a hell of a car and a hell of an engine.  It wasn't my decision to let it go. 

I can't afford to get a 987.  Price point here is 15-16 grand.  Slim pickings at that price for a relatively new sports car; some hardtop 1999 911s are running around at 18K, but the convertible would be a tougher buy.  I'd like to get into another Porsche, but I don't see it happening for some time. 

15K can get me a late AP1 S2000 (AP2s are still holding strong), a 2006 350ZR Enthusiast, a slightly older Touring (that's the model I'd go for; the Grand Touring which adds Brembos costs too much), a 2003-04 Z4 2.5i with low miles or 3.0i with higher miles, or a 2000-01 Corvette with medium miles.  Obviously newer MX-5s and MR-2s are available as well. 

I didn't know you were considering the corvette. Might have a hard time finding a vert with a stick, plus i didn't think the car would meet your standards when it comes to the interior quality etc.

SVT666

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 19, 2008, 03:55:29 PM
I didn't know you were considering the corvette. Might have a hard time finding a vert with a stick, plus i didn't think the car would meet your standards when it comes to the interior quality etc.
Who cares about interior quality in a sports car? :mask:

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 19, 2008, 03:56:23 PM
Who cares about interior quality in a sports car? :mask:

The 986's interior wasn't even as good as a contemporary Civic's in terms of quality, but it managed to sell well enough.

You might be on to something.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 19, 2008, 03:53:36 PM
I still say 2003 Cobra Vert.  Imagine the tuning potential.  My next Mustang will be either a 2005 GT or a 2003 Cobra.

03 Cobras are likely too expensive!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 19, 2008, 03:55:29 PM

Interior quality isn't much of an issue. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=15445.msg863872#msg863872 date=1219183549
03 Cobras are likely too expensive!
Yeah, I didn't think they would be too expensive, but I just looked on Craigslist and they are still going for as much as $32K.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on August 19, 2008, 04:06:47 PM
Interior quality isn't much of an issue. 

I was also speaking of quality in general even though i highlighted the interior in general in the post.

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 19, 2008, 04:44:38 PM
I was also speaking of quality in general even though i highlighted the interior in general in the post.

They seem durable enough.  The interior isn't that bad of a problem, but I'll be honest, the manual top operation is. 

I don't mind a manual top, as long as it stows into its own soft boot like the MX-5's does.  Open and close from the driver's seat.  I never park my car with the top down, and it would be really annoying to keep having to jump in and out of the car to open and close the top every time I leave somewhere.  It really hampers a cool exit.  So either I do that, or I start parking with the top down.  And I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with that.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

Are you finding any corvette convertables in your area that meet the price requirement?

Around here early C5's still are in the mid 20's from what I see. I know that you are still a year out but I wouldn't factor too much depreciation into your candidates over the next year.

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 19, 2008, 08:36:44 PM
Are you finding any corvette convertables in your area that meet the price requirement?

Around here early C5's still are in the mid 20's from what I see. I know that you are still a year out but I wouldn't factor too much depreciation into your candidates over the next year.

Yeah, there's one. 

206,000 miles.  If I include the coupe (which is still open top, although more of a hassle, but also better looking), a pretty red one (actually, it's the light red, the one I don't like; my friend had one that color) pops up with 80K miles, but I don't mind travelling to get a good car in blue or silver (the Corvette is one of the few cars that looks good in silver). 

I used a lot of parenthetical statements there. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rich

When I went to look at MX-5s last fall the dealer had a new '06 on the lot still, going for 18k.  It had the 5 speed (whatever model that would have been)  If they looked more agressive I probably would have bought one (good thing I didn't since I didn't know I was going to leave soon).

That MX-5 and the S2000 are the only cars I've driven that felt like extensions of my brain.  I don't think I'll ever get over driving the MX-5 for the first time, I felt superhuman - everything happened so naturally -  throttle sensitivity (usually a HUGE issue with E-throttle cars) and response, steering, brakes, shifter, driving position... good stuff

The Solstice I drove was right there with it, except for driving position, the gauges felt funny in their relation to the driver and the beltine was higher...

The GXP I drove was worse than the 2.4L, clutch was horrible, powerband peaked too early... 
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT