BMW's Bold New Z4 Strategy Revealed

Started by BMWDave, July 26, 2005, 06:26:04 AM

93JC

QuoteIf the coupe is priced below 40K, I'd love to get my hands on one of 'em. I'd prefer an exterior refresh though. The hood (to me) shouldn't be quite that long.
It does look rather elongated on the coupe, doesn't it?
Check out this chop:

:lol:  

Raza

I see no similarities.

:blink:  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteThe fact is that I can get more power out of it easily, the maintenance program of BMW is unmatched, it looks great, with it's rakish long hood, short deck design.? It's a true roadster in line with the cars that I hold dearest to my heart.? The Boxster is all that, but more expensive and not as cheap to own.? Plus, I'd love to smoke guys in standard Boxsters who think they've got a monster under their right foot.
What do you have in mind to get more power?
Some intake and exhaust work, and as a last resort, an AA supercharger (if it will fit).  I don't need much more power, I could do with under 300 at the crank.  If the new 255bhp 3.0 liter finds its way into the Z4 soon, getting some more power won't even be very necessary, as the car will already shoot to 60 in about 5 seconds.
The old 225 hp unit gets to 60 in 5.4 seconds.  Thats plenty fast, dont you think ;)

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

BMWDave

QuoteI see no similarities.

I think he's pointing out that the hood is insanely long for that car.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

QuoteThe fact is that I can get more power out of it easily, the maintenance program of BMW is unmatched, it looks great, with it's rakish long hood, short deck design.  It's a true roadster in line with the cars that I hold dearest to my heart.  The Boxster is all that, but more expensive and not as cheap to own.  Plus, I'd love to smoke guys in standard Boxsters who think they've got a monster under their right foot.
What do you have in mind to get more power?
Some intake and exhaust work, and as a last resort, an AA supercharger (if it will fit).  I don't need much more power, I could do with under 300 at the crank.  If the new 255bhp 3.0 liter finds its way into the Z4 soon, getting some more power won't even be very necessary, as the car will already shoot to 60 in about 5 seconds.
The old 225 hp unit gets to 60 in 5.4 seconds.  Thats plenty fast, dont you think ;)
Nah, not fast enough.  A WRX can match that (although the Z4 will shortly pull away).  With 255, the thing will be a monster, but still easy to handle without DSC.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

The Z4's hood doesn't see that long.  Besides, that big I6 needs the space.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Not liking the coupe idea, the old Z3 coupe was weird enough that you could like it, but I don't think that would be the case with a Z4 coupe.  

R33 GT-R

QuoteWhat would you have done when redesigning the car?
Give it the Z4 mechanicals, but the leave the sheet metal about the same (couldn't be exact as the Z4 is a bit bigger than the Z3). Maybe update a few of the design details (headlamps, taillamps). But the Z3 was not a car that looked bad, so the total redo that the Z4 was very unnecessary IMHO.

Admittedly as a former Z3 owner I am probably a bit biased, but I have heard alot of other people say the same thing. The Z4 just looked too weird for conservative customers (which alot of BMW customers are, at least that's my impression from talking to fellow owners when my Z3 was getting serviced).
The Z3 had a bit of a chick car persona, sort of like the last generation Mercedes SLK.  They needed to make a more masculine car, and they ended up with the Z4.  Its the best looking roadster on the road now, IMO.
I have to call Feeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt on that one Dave.  It is hideous, it looks like a bloated sad fish.  The first time I saw one in person I almost vomited but a hot chick was driving it.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Raza

Well, then sell me one of your Skylines.  Or give it to me for free!  You have an R32, right?  I'll take that one off your hands.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

The Z4's hood doesn't see that long.  Besides, that big I6 needs the space.
I was talking about the Porsche :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

R33 GT-R

Raza

QuoteBoo Ya Raza, Boo Ya!
Does that mean I get the R32?  It'll take a bit to learn to shift with my left hand, but I can do it.  Unless you can arrange for me to get one on the cheap.

:D  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

Does that mean I get the R32?  It'll take a bit to learn to shift with my left hand, but I can do it.  Unless you can arrange for me to get one on the cheap.

Yea, I've always wondered what shifting with your left hand would feel like.   B)  

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

Yea, I've always wondered what shifting with your left hand would feel like.   B)
I've never actually done it before.  Maybe I'll go to London and rent a car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

Rent a Ford Ka.  B)  B)  

R33 GT-R

It's a bit awkward at first but after about 20 times through the box you get the hang of it and it's almost like you've been doing it you whole life after that.

Raza

It's a bit awkward at first but after about 20 times through the box you get the hang of it and it's almost like you've been doing it you whole life after that.
So how about I meet you halfway this weekend and you can give me the pink slip to the R32?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Raza, I'll do one up on you, I'll meet Bryan at his doorstep ;) :lol:

giant_mtb

QuoteRaza, I'll do one up on you, I'll meet Bryan at his doorstep ;) :lol:
Yeah..then he'll knock you out.  :lol:  :lol:  :P  

R33 GT-R

So how about I meet you halfway this weekend and you can give me the pink slip to the R32?
TBR and I are a bit closer than Raza.  I used to be alot closer to TBR but I moved out of the armpit of Louisiana, Lake Charles.  

Raza

TBR and I are a bit closer than Raza.  I used to be alot closer to TBR but I moved out of the armpit of Louisiana, Lake Charles.
Fine, then I'll hop on the Gulf Stream and still beat him there.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Colonel Cadillac

If I were as lucky as you are to have 55K for a car, I would load up a 330i sedan or a S4, or wait around for the RS4 to come out. Unfortunately, I am not as lucky.

Raza

QuoteIf I were as lucky as you are to have 55K for a car, I would load up a 330i sedan or a S4, or wait around for the RS4 to come out. Unfortunately, I am not as lucky.
S4 is too fucking heavy, the 330i's a possibility, but I'd much rather have a Z4 3.0i than a 330i.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

QuoteIf I were as lucky as you are to have 55K for a car, I would load up a 330i sedan or a S4, or wait around for the RS4 to come out. Unfortunately, I am not as lucky.
Right, you only get a completely free Volvo. Spoiled.  <_<  

Raza

In all fairness, I'm more spoiled than he is.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

I certainly never implied otherwise.  ;)  

Raza

I certainly never implied otherwise.  ;)
:o

<_<

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

It would be cool to have a Z4...but for now I have the Disco II, and soon I'm going to upgrade.  Probably a used Porsche 944 Turbo, as theyre bloody fast, and not so expensive.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

QuoteIt would be cool to have a Z4...but for now I have the Disco II, and soon I'm going to upgrade.  Probably a used Porsche 944 Turbo, as theyre bloody fast, and not so expensive.
Good choice.  I'd also look at the M coupe or roadster.  A little more expensive (still only around 10 grand or so, a little more--take out a loan if you must) but bloodier and faster, as well as newer, and naturally aspirated.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

QuoteIt would be cool to have a Z4...but for now I have the Disco II, and soon I'm going to upgrade.  Probably a used Porsche 944 Turbo, as theyre bloody fast, and not so expensive.
Good choice.  I'd also look at the M coupe or roadster.  A little more expensive (still only around 10 grand or so, a little more--take out a loan if you must) but bloodier and faster, as well as newer, and naturally aspirated.
I never really warmed up to the Z3 look.  Its nice, but but not something I would want to drive all around.  

I just found this 2001 Boxster for 11K.  Thats an amazing deal, no?

2007 Honda S2000