Chevrolet Volt Unveiled! (Production Pics)

Started by 2o6, August 28, 2008, 06:39:07 PM

2o6

If green cars can look this good, then why is the Prius so ugly?

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/08/28/breaking-is-this-the-production-chevy-volt-in-transformers-2/

Also, does anyone else see Mazda 3 in the profile? Otherwise it's a stunning car. Makes the Cruze look hideous.

Payman

Raza

If I looked out my window and saw the car from the same angle as the first picture, I would think "Scion tC".
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Raza

I don't think you can spec a Prius much over 30K.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

If you check EVERY BOX you end up around 30.
GM keeps fucking around with the price. Lutz says this, Wagoner says that, the bottom line is that nobody knows what the thing is going to cost.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=15643.msg868491#msg868491 date=1219972915
I don't think you can spec a Prius much over 30K.

Oh. Well like Laconian says, no one really knows how much it'll cost.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on August 28, 2008, 07:24:11 PM
GM keeps fucking around with the price. Lutz says this, Wagoner says that, the bottom line is that nobody knows what the thing is going to cost.

Doesn't matter. It'll be 2020 before its out, will lose money on every sale, go through a mild refresh the third year, and be cancelled the fourth.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Shift507

Quote from: Laconian on August 28, 2008, 07:24:11 PM

And are they still adding mark-ups to the prices of the cars?

What I was curious was if Toyota would steal some of the look good ideas and slap them on the Prius and rush it for production to claim it as their own to the general public. But well I think they have only kept the ones who charged less money.
Recent Mopar convert

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

gasoline

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=15643.msg868472#msg868472 date=1219972228
If I looked out my window and saw the car from the same angle as the first picture, I would think "Scion tC".
Well, you have been rumored to have mental problems...

:nono:

Here is video:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1631252024?bctid=1759811968

The only thing I wish is that GM was not hamstrung by the concept's awkward styling cues.
-----------------------------------

the Teuton

What's that split window thing in the video?  It looks like a modernized '63 Stingray.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

gasoline

Did anyone post this?

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/08/28/spy-shot-chevy-volt-interior-maybe/

I like the touch-sensitivity, but I am not too sure abotu the color scheme, or about the soft round blobby look. People say it's "iPod", but it reminds me or the first iPod.

giant_mtb

I don't want my damn car to work like an iPod.  Tactile buttons and knobs, please, so I don't have to take my eyes off the road to look for a silly point to push when I could just feel for a knob or stick-out button.

gasoline

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 29, 2008, 11:20:53 AM
I don't want my damn car to work like an iPod.  Tactile buttons and knobs, please, so I don't have to take my eyes off the road to look for a silly point to push when I could just feel for a knob or stick-out button.
What about haptics?

FlatBlackCaddy

Given GM's track record i don't expect much, and i'll probably still be disappointed.

Anyway we'll just have to wait a few more years to find out the final specs. It Does look like a prius though(in general shape obvously) so gm can give it all the fancy cut lines and LED lights it wants. The reality is you can't escape aerodynamics like most of the GM fans thought. Should be cool little toy for 40K, i'm sure the(what are those) 20" chrome wheels will make it to production :rolleyes:.

Catman

giant_mtb

Quote from: gasoline on August 29, 2008, 12:04:55 PM
What about haptics?

That'd be like trying to push the right spot on a touch screen without looking at it.  For some reason...I just don't know about that.

nickdrinkwater

1)  What is it with GM and tacky chrome wheels?
2)  Which is out first, this or the Camaro?

SVT666

Those pictures are from the Tranformers 2 set.  Since the Volt is in Transformers 2, I don't expect it will be on the market for about 4 years after the movie comes out.

2o6

If they'd get those guys out of the way, you'd actually be able to see the car much better.........

Galaxy

Styling wise the car is not bad. It needs some detail work. They still have a year for that.

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on September 08, 2008, 01:19:17 PM
If they'd get those guys out of the way, you'd actually be able to see the car much better.........
I don't believe you.

SVT666

Quote from: Galaxy on September 08, 2008, 01:37:18 PM
Styling wise the car is not bad. It needs some detail work. They still have a year for that.
Wrong.  They have 14 more years before it's production ready. :ohyeah:

I think it looks good, but the problem is this whole plugging in thing.  If this plug in thing catches on with other manufacturers, just wait for the rolling brown outs because of over demand.

Submariner

Hmmmm...elegant, sporty, classy Used Jaguar XJ, or this...
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Galaxy

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 08, 2008, 01:40:43 PM
I think it looks good, but the problem is this whole plugging in thing.  If this plug in thing catches on with other manufacturers, just wait for the rolling brown outs because of over demand.

Mercedes-Benz and the german utility company RWE today unveiled one of the most idiotic things I have heard in a long time. They plan on making plug in cars which charge the battery when the grid load is low and feed power back into the grid during peak demand periods.  :banghead:

FlatBlackCaddy

Are those bean counters posing with the car or are they supposed to be the young hip professionals that will shell out 40K for this thing.

SVT666

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 08, 2008, 03:40:47 PM
Are those bean counters posing with the car or are they supposed to be the young hip professionals that will shell out 40K for this thing.
My guess is they are the designers.