Motortrend best handling car comparison

Started by 565, August 30, 2008, 07:33:16 AM

Payman

I just read this last night, and disappointed that Lotus and Corvette weren't represented. Biggest shock: the Cobalt SS lapping Laguna Seca with a nearly identical time as the Evo MR!!!!!!  :mask:

sportyaccordy

BMW's ride is impressive, wow

Pretty cool test. Can't wait to see them say the GT-R is the winnar

Payman

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 30, 2008, 10:57:03 AM

Pretty cool test. Can't wait to see them say the GT-R is the winnar

*spoiler alert*

It wasn't.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Onslaught

With the Mini S on the list I'd thing the Skysice or MX-5 could make it too.

the Teuton

I love the MINI, but I don't know how they could even put it in the same comparo with those other cars.  First, they should have tested a JCW because they're an incredible amount better than the already great Ss.  And second, it was flat-out spanked by every other car in that test around the track.

But it does have razor-sharp steering, so I can see it being in a handling test.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Payman

Quote from: the Teuton on August 30, 2008, 11:58:00 AM
I love the MINI, but I don't know how they could even put it in the same comparo with those other cars.  First, they should have tested a JCW because they're an incredible amount better than the already great Ss.  And second, it was flat-out spanked by every other car in that test around the track.

But it does have razor-sharp steering, so I can see it being in a handling test.

Well then, thank goodness it was a handling test.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 30, 2008, 10:57:03 AM

And it was 3rd overall and 2nd subjectively only after the much more expensive R8, so your sarcasm here is just ignorant.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

CALL_911

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 30, 2008, 01:39:24 PM
And it was 3rd overall and 2nd subjectively only after the much more expensive R8, so your sarcasm here is just ignorant.

I didn't detect any sarcasm there, sorry chief.

Then again, my sarcasm detector may be on the fritz.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 30, 2008, 01:39:24 PM
Apparently someone's truth detector is off, I was just commenting on the fact that the M3 from what I remember had the best suspension dampening (from the graphs, it best absorbed the bumps on the course). Get your panties out of a bunch

Raza

I was also shocked that the M3's ride was considered so well.  I figured a big, heavy, sporty BMW would ride like shit. 

And I was also very fearful that the GT-R would come in first.  I'm happy with its placement.

Although, a softer, AWD 911 Turbo is no stand-in for a GT3!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on September 01, 2008, 06:59:47 PM
I was also shocked that the M3's ride was considered so well.  I figured a big, heavy, sporty BMW would ride like shit. 

No way, if anything the M3's added mass & all aluminum suspension would help the ride.

QuoteAnd I was also very fearful that the GT-R would come in first.  I'm happy with its placement.
I am too. I'm surprised they said that it being 'boring' off the track was a bad thing though. Are there any cars that are really thrilling on a drive to the supermarket?

QuoteAlthough, a softer, AWD 911 Turbo is no stand-in for a GT3!
That would have been interesting, though I think a Turbo vs a base R8 is a fair match up. They need to make a sport version of the R8 to go against the GT3.

Galaxy

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 02, 2008, 06:21:57 AM
That would have been interesting, though I think a Turbo vs a base R8 is a fair match up. They need to make a sport version of the R8 to go against the GT3.

You called?   :lol:

It conforms to GT3 regulations, hence it is RWD only. 500hp.

SVT666

sportyaccordy

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Pobst loved his laps in the Ford Shelby GT500KR (10th place), exiting the car while whooping and hollering as if he'd just won the Daytona 500. "Man! That was fun!" he crowed.
:rockon:

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 02, 2008, 06:21:57 AM
No way, if anything the M3's added mass & all aluminum suspension would help the ride.

I figured with the extra weight, BMW would make the suspension overly stiff to give it a "sporty" feeling.

I am too. I'm surprised they said that it being 'boring' off the track was a bad thing though. Are there any cars that are really thrilling on a drive to the supermarket?

I have fun in my drive to the supermarket.  Special cars should be fun all the time.

I'd like to see the R8 against the C2S.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

I can't do the individual quotes...

The M3 has a very stiff chassis... that, combined with its aluminum suspension and adaptable dampers = awesome ride by default.

And yea thinking about it now a car can be fun in normal conditions. I am a sucker for a good exhaust note. That will be the only thing I miss about my Maxima. Not really much else to enjoy in a metropolitan area.

My money would be on the C2S.

MidnightDave

Minor off course excursion: Man, has Audi come a long way! When I worked at a Porsche/Audi dealer in the late '70s, most Audi's were junk and the 100 model won the award for "Most towed in for repairs of any new car" in some car mag. The salespeople had a helluva time convincing people to buy them, and now look at that masterpiece in the post above,  think about the TT...they got their act together big time!

If only our 'merican car companies could/would do the same...I want the GM muscle car glory days back!
2006 Lexus IS350 - bone stock wouldn't change a thing
2006 MINI Cooper S - For Sale!
2002 Toyota Tacoma - A man and his truck, it's a beautiful thing!

Jus2shy

Quote from: Onslaught on August 30, 2008, 11:52:01 AM
With the Mini S on the list I'd thing the Skysice or MX-5 could make it too.

Hear hear! It seems like the failed to include some of the cheapest roadsters in America that deliver huge driving exhilaration to their respective drivers. The MX-5 and Skystice need to show up, these vehicles are terrors on the SCCA classes they compete in!
Driver of a 2k8 Sky Redline, my wife named it "Stormy Sky"