Should speed limits be abolished on highways?

Started by gasoline, September 02, 2008, 03:00:17 PM

Should speed limits be abolished on highways?

Yes
12 (41.4%)
No
12 (41.4%)
Other
5 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

gasoline

(I hope this is the right forum for this.)

Do you think that people should be allowed to set the speed limit based on what appears to be prudent to them at the time?
=====================================================================

Here is my take:

1. It is absurd that both lanes should have the same speed limit.

2. Slower speed limits in both lanes should be set for days/times when the weather is inclement (rain, snow etc.).

3. All other days there should be a minimum speed limit for the left lane (which--minus 10 to 15 mph-- would serve as the "speed limit" for the right lane).

People should be fined heavily for clogging the left lane.

My reasoning is that most people drive over the speed limit anyways, and that that is indicative that the speed limits are set too low. I also think that people set reasonable and prudent speeds on their own based on the conditions around them.

Anyways, this eliminates:

1. People who drive 65 in the left lane (because "it's the speed limit") continuously. Under the proposal, they'd at least have to do a minimum of 75 mph to stay in the lane legally.

(Actually, I propose that the general speed limit go up from 65--I know it changes from road to road in state to state-- to about 75. That would make the minimum in the left lane about 85 to 90+ mph).

2. General foolishness on the road.
-----------------------------------

Galaxy

High speed limits can work on well built public highways. It does require a couple of things.

A) One needs a good driver education program.

B) The technical standards of cars needs to be strictly in forced. Some one with a derelict car wanting to go over 200km/h and faster (and yes it would happen) is a threat not only to himself but to others as well.

I think if it came down top a vote most Americans would rather have a low cost driver education program and little in the way of vehicle inspections.

sandertheshark

Speed kills.  Don't let your kids take amphetamines.

Minpin

Fuck me I want my vote back.
I thought it said "Do you want speed limits on Highways" so I voted yes because I don't want to get run over by a teenager (Yes I am one) who's going 150mph down the road and swerves to avoid a slower car in his lane and nails me going 75 mph. 

Seriously, you can't honestly think abolishing the speed limits would work in the USA, now and today? If it had been like that from the start it would probably work, but still. I mean, Seriously you think that's a good idea? I love cars and all, but I don't want to get killed by one either.

So ya, take one from yes and put it in no.  :huh:
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

BimmerM3

gasoline, you're an insane person. Do you realize that you just proposed a system that would leave a gap in the limit of the right lane and the minimum of the left lane, causing everyone who ever changed lanes to break the law?

Anyway, I don't think that speed limits should be abolished, but they do need to be raised. In my opinion, the problem isn't the flow of traffic currently, but how it's enforced. For example, I can drive around in Atlanta all day at 75 mph, and as long as I don't do anything wreckless, I wouldn't think twice about getting a ticket. However, if I get clocked going 80, I get a ticket for going 25mph over the limit (55 mph limits everywhere in Atlanta), rather than a ticket for going 5 mph over the flow of traffic.

Here's a video that shows the impact of speed limits in Atlanta. It's really worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B-Ox0ZmVIU

sandertheshark

I would be happy to brave the odds of being killed by four-wheeled missile if that's the tradeoff for me doing 120+ between here and Whiteman down I-70 without being pulled over at every county line.

I don't think there should be no restrictions whatever and everyone should be allowed to be a speed demon.  I think there should be some sort of "flow of traffic" law that allows those who wish to hammer it down the left lane at comfortable triple digits while still filtering out the maniacs who weave through traffic at the limits of their vehicle's capability and beyond the limits of their own driving prowess.

And I mean this mainly for interstates and major urban freeways where traffic conditions and road quality allows.  Obviously this would be be inapplicable to say the 405 in LA or two or four-lane local highways without controlled access.  But roads like the Jersey Turnpike and the ring roads around major cities all the major interstates (Except I-40 in Oklahoma which is apparently paved to be deliberately uneven) can and should be without any arbitrary speed limits.

S204STi

Quote from: Galaxy on September 02, 2008, 03:15:17 PM
High speed limits can work on well built public highways. It does require a couple of things.

A) One needs a good driver education program.

B) The technical standards of cars needs to be strictly in forced. Some one with a derelict car wanting to go over 200km/h and faster (and yes it would happen) is a threat not only to himself but to others as well.

I think if it came down top a vote most Americans would rather have a low cost driver education program and little in the way of vehicle inspections.

People would fiercely oppose either measure here, though both are very much a necessity, particularly as millions of new drivers hit the streets every year.

Onslaught

No. Never. No way no how.

American drivers suck. Perhaps the ones on a form like this don't but the majority of them just suck horribly. I could just imagine going down the left lane at 120 when some woman talking on the cell phone pulls out in my lane going 55.
American Highways and Interstates  are not even close to the condition need to go at these speeds. This isn't the German autobahn and we don't keep up our roads that well.

gasoline

Quote from: Minpin on September 02, 2008, 03:29:04 PM
Fuck me I want my vote back.
I thought it said "Do you want speed limits on Highways" so I voted yes because I don't want to get run over by a teenager (Yes I am one) who's going 150mph down the road and swerves to avoid a slower car in his lane and nails me going 75 mph. 

Seriously, you can't honestly think abolishing the speed limits would work in the USA, now and today? If it had been like that from the start it would probably work, but still. I mean, Seriously you think that's a good idea? I love cars and all, but I don't want to get killed by one either.

So ya, take one from yes and put it in no.  :huh:
You should be able to change your vote (although I do not know how you do that).

Swerving at 65 would be reckless driving. Why would it be legal at 150 with no limit?

gasoline

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 02, 2008, 03:41:29 PM
gasoline, you're an insane person. Do you realize that you just proposed a system that would leave a gap in the limit of the right lane and the minimum of the left lane, causing everyone who ever changed lanes to break the law?

Anyway, I don't think that speed limits should be abolished, but they do need to be raised. In my opinion, the problem isn't the flow of traffic currently, but how it's enforced. For example, I can drive around in Atlanta all day at 75 mph, and as long as I don't do anything wreckless, I wouldn't think twice about getting a ticket. However, if I get clocked going 80, I get a ticket for going 25mph over the limit (55 mph limits everywhere in Atlanta), rather than a ticket for going 5 mph over the flow of traffic.

Here's a video that shows the impact of speed limits in Atlanta. It's really worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B-Ox0ZmVIU
This already happens when you overtake someone (or two) going 60 in the right lane. You temporarily go over 65 to do it.
The gap is wide. People who overtake would rejoin the slow lane anyways, so it doesn't matter that much. The problem is if they stay in the left lane. Then is when they should be forced to commit to the speed that would keep the lane flowing.

sandertheshark

Quote from: gasoline on September 02, 2008, 04:08:24 PM
Swerving at 65 would be reckless driving. Why would it be legal at 150 with no limit?

Eggzackly.

Reckless driving is reckless driving no matter the limit.  So is obstructing flow of traffic.  That's what should land you a ticket, not cruising at a safe, reasonable 90mph, or faster if your car is up to it.

Cookie Monster

I'd like to see higher speed limits (much higher).

I'd also like to know exactly what speed (and higher) you'd have to be going in order to get a ticket. It seems pretty ambiguous. I think it'd be a lot better if there was a clear cut number that if you went over, you'd get a ticket, if not, you don't. For example, if you go 80+ on the highway, then you WILL get a ticket if seen by a cop, but under that, you're fine. I've seen people get away with speeding at 90 MPH, but other people getting busted for going 9-10 MPH over the limit.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Minpin

Quote from: gasoline on September 02, 2008, 04:08:24 PM
You should be able to change your vote (although I do not know how you do that).

You misunderstood me. The guy going 150 had to swerve to get out of the way of someone going much slower and in turn rams into the back of me going only 75 or so. Call me old or whatever (I'm not) but I don't feel safe on the highway as it is. People are too fucking idiotic to handle 70mph much less anything more than that. Every single god damn person feels driving is their time to make phone calls, eat a fucking big mac, or wank off.

I hate people.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

gasoline

People keep mentioning 150mph.
How many cars can do that easily?

I say you'd see some low triple digits from time to time, but I doubt you'd see much over 105 mph on good days.

I also think that people who use cell phones etc. should be ticketed at a much higher rate (maybe near $1000 under this regime. That would shut things down cold.)

The point about the road conditions is well taken. I do think, however, that people factor that into their speeds most times too (unconsciously).

gasoline

Quote from: Minpin on September 02, 2008, 04:24:23 PM
You misunderstood me. The guy going 150 had to swerve to get out of the way of someone going much slower and in turn rams into the back of me going only 75 or so. Call me old or whatever (I'm not) but I don't feel safe on the highway as it is. People are too fucking idiotic to handle 70mph much less anything more than that. Every single god damn person feels driving is their time to make phone calls, eat a fucking big mac, or wank off.

I hate people.
I see what you're saying. I guess that calls for people being competent enough to judge braking distances at speed;as well as a strict "no passing on the right" enforcement?

Another thing would be to ratchet up insurance fees even more exponentially for people who rear-end on the interstate (and not as a result of sudden braking in front).

3.0L V6

Rural interstates should have a maximum limit of at least 80mph (road and weather conditions permitting). When in inclement weather or at night, the limit would be reduced to 70mph. Lane discipline would be strictly enforced. A reasonable limit would cap any idiocy.

If you got caught doing 90mph, so what? A 10mph over ticket is barely a slap on the wrist. At about 100mph, I start to doubt the talent of the average driver in an average vehicle. That's the point where having a mechanical failure/accident starts to get dicey. 

However, urban expressways and roads with at-grade crossings would be at a much lower speed.

Galaxy

Quote from: sandertheshark on September 02, 2008, 04:12:25 PM
Reckless driving is reckless driving no matter the limit. 

The increrase in potential energy can be a bit problematic.

Galaxy

Quote from: gasoline on September 02, 2008, 04:24:49 PM
People keep mentioning 150mph.
How many cars can do that easily?

There are many that can do 130mph.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Galaxy on September 02, 2008, 05:34:25 PM
There are many that can do 130mph.

When talking about high speeds like that, squeezing and extra 20 mph out of a car is tough.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 02, 2008, 06:45:07 PM
When talking about high speeds like that, squeezing and extra 20 mph out of a car is tough.

Not when u have

I think this is a bad idea. Americans can't drive. It would have to be paired with a tiered licensing system. And women wouldn't be allowed on highways. Why risk it?

Cookie Monster

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 02, 2008, 07:04:40 PM
Not when u have

I think this is a bad idea. Americans can't drive. It would have to be paired with a tiered licensing system. And women wouldn't be allowed on highways. Why risk it?
Too true.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

GoCougs

Americans are actually very fine drivers. How so? Let me put into stark, objective terms. This is staggering, so be ready for it.

200,000,000 Americans drove 3 TRILLION miles in 2007. Want to know how far this is?

1,100 trips to Pluto.

32,000 trips to the sun.

12,000,000 trips to the moon.

120,000,000 trips around the earth.

The distance covered only after traveling for 6 months at the speed of light.

And for this interplanetary-esque distances, but 40,000 people die per year, fully about half at the essentially intentional hands of drunks. Add to that the inherent danger of untold number of unfit vehicles, poor roads, inclement weather, and other such situations, and you certainly don't have bad drivers.

The vast majority of people are are not race car drivers, nor aspire to be race car drivers, nor otherwise have the desire to be around as others try to act like race car drivers. So no, it is impossible. People simply wouldn't tolerate it.

So, coming at it from another tack, what would have to happen to have any chance of fostering such a thing? All manner of additional government spending and control; radical improvements to infrastructure, graduated licensing and much stricture licensing procedure, to name just a few. The last thing I want is giving the government more control and spending more tax dollars to give a minority carte blanche to drive at excessive speeds.

Laconian

A lot of people drive cars with too much engine and too much sound insulation. They might not set out to be racecar drivers, but just like 55mph feels like 80 in my Miata, 100+ in an Autobahn-tuned Mercedes probably feels just like 55.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: thecarnut on September 02, 2008, 04:14:16 PM
I'd like to see higher speed limits (much higher).

I'd also like to know exactly what speed (and higher) you'd have to be going in order to get a ticket. It seems pretty ambiguous. I think it'd be a lot better if there was a clear cut number that if you went over, you'd get a ticket, if not, you don't. For example, if you go 80+ on the highway, then you WILL get a ticket if seen by a cop, but under that, you're fine. I've seen people get away with speeding at 90 MPH, but other people getting busted for going 9-10 MPH over the limit.

Move west.
75mph across Wyoming Interstate and I've never heard of tickets for anything less than 85mph... (on the highway)
"Regular" highways are often 65mph but watch out for cows....   (seriously!)
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 02, 2008, 07:04:40 PM
Not when u have

HAHAHAHAHA

How many street-legal Hondas do 150mph??
I know when I had my Taurus SHO (drag-limited 143mph) the BEST Accord could only do 138. That was in 2003-2004.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on September 02, 2008, 10:45:34 PM
Americans are actually very fine drivers. How so? Let me put into stark, objective terms. This is staggering, so be ready for it.

200,000,000 Americans drove 3 TRILLION miles in 2007.

Didn't we just break 300million citizens? And a large number of those are kids or seniors, not to mention all those in cities that dont' drive regularly...

Will

AutobahnSHO

PS-

I felt much safer in Germany tailgating (and being tailgated) at 95mph than I ever felt in Virginia doing 55mph..
And ditto most other places in the US!

Germany requires driver's ed which costs you $1-3k.
They safety inspect all cars on a yearly basis.
If you wreck you WILL get a ticket for "failure to maintain control, TO START WITH, then they will hold you liable for any and all damages. (or your insurance)  And no sue-happy idiocy.
Roads are kept well. (Once saw 2 lanes of autobahn shutdown completely so the Polizei could pick up some debris)
Drivers do NOT drink/ talk on phone/ text/ do makeup/ change cd's etc... while driving. They DRIVE.

And some of them drive FAST.
Traffic usually flowed around 60mph in the right lane and 80-85mph in the left. My wife's speed limit was 90mph, and I still got passed pretty regularly.  And a few times I AVERAGED 120mph from Kaiserslautern to Kafertal. (did the drive in about 20minutes- for 70km, which is a little under 50miles...)  http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=kaiserslautern&daddr=kafertal&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.915634,78.75&ie=UTF8&z=10
Will

S204STi

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on September 02, 2008, 05:19:57 PM
Rural interstates should have a maximum limit of at least 80mph (road and weather conditions permitting). When in inclement weather or at night, the limit would be reduced to 70mph. Lane discipline would be strictly enforced. A reasonable limit would cap any idiocy.

If you got caught doing 90mph, so what? A 10mph over ticket is barely a slap on the wrist. At about 100mph, I start to doubt the talent of the average driver in an average vehicle. That's the point where having a mechanical failure/accident starts to get dicey. 

However, urban expressways and roads with at-grade crossings would be at a much lower speed.

Interstates out west already have an unofficial speed limit of 80mph...I've never been stopped for doing 80 in a 75, and I've passed a number of radar cops doing that.  I'm pretty sure they don't sweat it too much unless weather is bad.

ChrisV

All this doom and gloom aabout how sudenly the roads would run red with the blood of people suddenly doing 150+.

that's what they said about Montana, too.

But it never happened there. Why? Because MOST PEOPLE simply will not travel that fast. Given the free choice, and people instinctively drive at a reasonable speed. The few that won't, won't be obeying the law ANYHOW.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...