Should speed limits be abolished on highways?

Started by gasoline, September 02, 2008, 03:00:17 PM

Should speed limits be abolished on highways?

Yes
12 (41.4%)
No
12 (41.4%)
Other
5 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

dazzleman

Quote from: TBR on September 11, 2008, 03:17:34 PM
The last time I drove involved taking some twisty mountain roads to a state park. I might have speed a little... ;)

But, for the most part I keep to speed limits, though when I go back home in December I'll probably do 5 over to save time since it is such a long, boring drive.

Wow, you're daring, man.......
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TBR

I know. But I am also under 25. If I get a ticket I don't think I even have to tell you what kind of raping the insurance company would give me. No cop gives a ticket for 5 over.

dazzleman

Quote from: TBR on September 11, 2008, 07:07:26 PM
I know. But I am also under 25. If I get a ticket I don't think I even have to tell you what kind of raping the insurance company would give me. No cop gives a ticket for 5 over.

There are ways to mitigate those risks.  How can you only go 5 mph over the speed limit on the highway?  I'd be bored to tears, and probably fall asleep at the wheel.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TBR

I did it the first time at exactly the speed limit (this is about a 1000 mile trip, FYI).

dazzleman

Quote from: TBR on September 11, 2008, 07:19:49 PM
I did it the first time at exactly the speed limit (this is about a 1000 mile trip, FYI).

You really live on the edge, man.  :lol:

You really should just go ahead and get that first ticket out of the way.  You'll see it's not so bad, and feel a lot freer afterward.

TBR

Quote from: dazzleman on September 11, 2008, 07:22:14 PM
You really live on the edge, man.  :lol:

You really should just go ahead and get that first ticket out of the way.  You'll see it's not so bad, and feel a lot freer afterward.

I already have, 68 in a 55. Two warnings directly afterwards (one was for a headlight though). I have had my fill for now.  :lol: (well, mainly my parents have had their fill...)

I'll probably see what states have agreements to share ticket information with Texas (NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA). 

bing_oh

You can speed in Michigan and Wisconsin, TBR. Everybody else is part of either the Non Resident Violator Compact or the Drivers License Compact. Texas is part of both, so they get info from members of either.

dazzleman

Quote from: bing_oh on September 11, 2008, 08:09:07 PM
You can speed in Michigan and Wisconsin, TBR. Everybody else is part of either the Non Resident Violator Compact or the Drivers License Compact. Texas is part of both, so they get info from members of either.

I have a license in Connecticut.  Where can I speed?  :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on September 11, 2008, 08:18:17 PM
I have a license in Connecticut.  Where can I speed?  :lol:

Nowhere but michigan and Wisconsin.

However, I have a license from michigan...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

TBR

Quote from: bing_oh on September 11, 2008, 08:09:07 PM

Well that doesn't really help me since I am driving from Winston-salem NC to a little town in Texas. Michigan would be a tad bit out of the way...

bing_oh

It just requires a slight course deviation, TBR. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

bing_oh

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 11, 2008, 08:19:21 PM
Nowhere but michigan and Wisconsin.

However, I have a license from michigan...

Which means, unfortunately for you, that you can't speed anywhere. You get caught speeding and, in most states, you'll have to post bond or go in front of the judge. Nobody likes you damn Michiganers anyway... :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: bing_oh on September 11, 2008, 08:31:09 PM
Which means, unfortunately for you, that you can't speed anywhere. You get caught speeding and, in most states, you'll have to post bond or go in front of the judge. Nobody likes you damn Michiganers anyway... :lol:

yeah, yeah yeah.
I've been through Ohio more than once, you know. I just carry the bond money on me.

bing_oh

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 11, 2008, 08:31:59 PM
yeah, yeah yeah.
I've been through Ohio more than once, you know. I just carry the bond money on me.

Personally, I support just biting the bullet and building a wall on the north boarder of the state to keep you guys out. Ya know, belt-fed, water-cooled machine guns, land mines, concertina wire...something a little more persuasive than just making you post bond.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: bing_oh on September 11, 2008, 08:36:25 PM
Personally, I support just biting the bullet and building a wall on the north boarder of the state to keep you guys out. Ya know, belt-fed, water-cooled machine guns, land mines, concertina wire...something a little more persuasive than just making you post bond.

What? Is it not enough punishment to have to drive through your state in the first place?

James Young

Quote from: bing_oh on September 10, 2008, 03:14:38 PM
As for your original question, the point of hiding to do traffic enforcement is to attempt to force a change in driver behavior at all times . . .maybe there's a cop hiding right around the corner...will encourage compliance with the law.

We don't want to change driver behavior as evidenced by the best fatality, crash and injury rates in the history of transportation.  We just need to change the law.  Make the limit the 85th percentile (or better yet, on Interstate-grade roadways, the 95th percentile) and you won't have to worry about forcing compliance . . .and you get safer roadways to boot.
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

ChrisV

Quote from: bing_oh on September 10, 2008, 03:14:38 PM
As for your original question, the point of hiding to do traffic enforcement is to attempt to force a change in driver behavior at all times, as opposed to just when he/she seens a cruiser running traffic enforcement. We all know that people slow down just long enough to get out of sight of a cruiser running radar or laser and then speed right back up. But, if you don't know where the officer might be, then he might be anywhere. Maybe that unknown...maybe there's a cop hiding right around the corner...will encourage compliance with the law.

How's that working out for you?

if you really belive that that works, then police have been hiding from speeders for decades, trying to get people to comply through fear of the possibility of a cop hiding anywhere. And yet average speeds (well, before the fuel costs went through the roof forcing more people to slow down than any police activity has) have been higher than at nearly any point in the past. Which means that as a tool for forcing compliance, hiding from speeders ranks right up there with not doing anything at all. But it DOES generate revenue, so it'll stick around.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

GoCougs

The unknown of hidden traffic enforcement most certainly gets people to slow down. All people? No. Most. Absolutely.

Expecting less restriction and/or enforcement is expecting too much - I'd concentrate on just maintaining the status quo - especially come November.

DNC-controlled executive and legislative branches will likely lead stricter speed enforcement and/or return of the national 55 mph limit under the auspices of green house gas emissions and "energy policy."

TBR

I agree entirely, if there was some visibility requirement for speed limit enforcers then I sure as hell would speed.

ChrisV

Quote from: GoCougs on September 12, 2008, 09:36:53 AM
The unknown of hidden traffic enforcement most certainly gets people to slow down. All people? No. Most. Absolutely.

Proof or gut feeling? As I said, average speeds are up. So apparently hiding isn't slowing the average driver down.

QuoteExpecting less restriction and/or enforcement is expecting too much - I'd concentrate on just maintaining the status quo - especially come November.

I don't think it's expecting too much. I think it's expecting the right amount. I think it's expecting 85th percentile engineering practices. I don't give a shit about this November or ANY November, nor do I think speed limits should be tied to politics in any way. ONLY on sound engineering practice and fact. just because it's not going to be BASED oin either should mean that expecting it to be, or asking for it to be, is out of the question.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Soup DeVille

I think what current enforcement does do though is discourage most drivers from going much faster than the average speed the traffic around them does.

MX793

Thankfully, NY doesn't levy points on minor out of state violations like speeding (unless you're tagged speeding in Ontario or Quebec), only major ones like DWI.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TBR

Quote from: MX793 on September 13, 2008, 12:21:51 PM
Thankfully, NY doesn't levy points on minor out of state violations like speeding (unless you're tagged speeding in Ontario or Quebec), only major ones like DWI.

I like that approach. Too bad NY is also a little bit out of my way.

MX793

Quote from: TBR on September 13, 2008, 12:23:14 PM
I like that approach. Too bad NY is also a little bit out of my way.

I think that only applies for NY drivers caught speeding in other states.  I think an out of state driver who gets a ticket in NYS will end up with points on their license from their home state if caught speeding.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TBR

Quote from: MX793 on September 13, 2008, 12:34:05 PM
I think that only applies for NY drivers caught speeding in other states.  I think an out of state driver who gets a ticket in NYS will end up with points on their license from their home state if caught speeding.

Ah, I misunderstood.