New front for the MX-5

Started by Onslaught, September 03, 2008, 10:27:52 PM

Onslaught

Quote from: Laconian on September 06, 2008, 01:49:03 PM
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/gm-losing-10k-per-car-on-solstice-and-sky/

I thought this was shared on the forum already? I'll do a post on this in the Fast Lane.
I had no idea that it was going to die. I'm not a fan of them but I wanted the MX-5 to finally have something to keep it on it's toes.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on September 06, 2008, 01:49:03 PM
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/gm-losing-10k-per-car-on-solstice-and-sky/

I thought this was shared on the forum already? I'll do a post on this in the Fast Lane.

It's still just speculation. GM hasn't announced anything.

hotrodalex

10k per Kappa car sold? I'm calling BS on that.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Onslaught on September 06, 2008, 03:09:34 PM
I had no idea that it was going to die. I'm not a fan of them but I wanted the MX-5 to finally have something to keep it on it's toes.
The MX5 is just too awesome.

Now if they'd make a terbow hardtop version, then maybe we'd have a 'stang competitor?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

r0tor

a terbow sure didn't help the solstice any...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Onslaught

Quote from: thecarnut on September 06, 2008, 04:27:41 PM

Now if they'd make a terbow hardtop version, then maybe we'd have a 'stang competitor?
I don't think those two will ever be competitors. I hope not.

2o6

Quote from: thecarnut on September 06, 2008, 04:27:41 PM

The MX-5 is a Club Racer/Roadster. The Mustang is a Muscle Car.

FordSVT

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 05, 2008, 10:18:58 PM
It's not unpractical for what it is. It's just that people expect every car to have the same storage space as a suburban.  :rolleyes:

Bullshit! Compared to the MX-5 and even my Z, the Solstice/Sky's boot is pathetic. People like to throw an overnight bag or two into the truck and put the top down and go away for a weekend, you can barely throw a couple if wallets in the back of the Solstice!

The Solstice's boot was designed by a moron, see for yourself!

Solstice:

Miata:

I know some of you believe that people spend a pile of money on an "enthusiast" car and are willing completely ignore every aspect of the car that doesn't contribute to that facet of it's purpose, but that's just not how people spend their own money. If you've got more than one choice you have to look at the overall package, and a usable boot is a pretty major thing.

FlatBlackCaddy

I actually think the solstice boot looks fine. It's very cozy.

r0tor

you know its a pproblem when owners are buying fugly things like this so they can do a weekend trip... lmao

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

TBR

What's the point in moving a topic 7 days after it was started?

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on September 09, 2008, 09:29:43 AM
What's the point in moving a topic 7 days after it was started?

I only now noticed it was in the wrong place. I usually view threads through "recent unread posts", which makes it easier to miss what forum they've been posted in.

Better late than never.

nickdrinkwater

Someone on here posted a review (I think from a Canadian site) that ripped the Solstice for not having any luggage room whatsoever.

I agree with SVT.  If you have a 'weekend' car like a 2-seat sports car, part of the appeal is to be able to take it on trips!  I like the Solstice but that would put me off buying one.

Onslaught

I didn't put it in here because the MX-5 isn't really fast. So I didn't know if it should be a "fast lane" thread or not?

FlatBlackCaddy

The NC is finally hitting good times, IIRC. Some reviews are getting mid to low(ish) 6 second runs to sixty. Certainly not blazing fast but much better than the high 7 low 8's of the previous car.

Onslaught

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 09, 2008, 03:02:54 PM
The NC is finally hitting good times, IIRC. Some reviews are getting mid to low(ish) 6 second runs to sixty. Certainly not blazing fast but much better than the high 7 low 8's of the previous car.
Even back in 1989 when the 1.6 NA came out it's times weren't all that bad compared to other cars near it's price.

sportyaccordy

More top end and a fixed roof please

Do u know how many more Miatas Mazda would sell w/a fixed roof alone?

Enough to justify the effort for sure.

Zoom Zoom bitch!!!

Jus2shy

God Dang, Everyone says "You can't fit a sheet of paper with the top down!". Fact is you can fit a medium sized set of golf clubs, TOP DOWN!!! in the back of the solstice. I own a sky that has a few braces in there, so I can't pull off the same trick. Truth is, I've been able to pack for a 4 day trip with me and the wife with Top Down capabilities. Sure you have to pack a little smarter, you also have to use soft luggage, which hasn't been an issue for me at all as my Sky is my daily driver. Hardly any owners on the forums use a luggage rack, sure they're out there, but they're very rarely used. Hang around the forums to see the attitudes of the owners and how we outfit our cars. Solstice is selling well enough, Solstice alone hangs neck and neck with the Miata, the Sky puts it over the top. Sales figures are from July 2008 (Mazda hasn't released August sales as far as I can tell), and these are YTD figures. I don't have any information from the Opel branch or the Daewoo branch that also sell versions of the Sky for their markets.
All figures are YTD
Solstice: 8113
Sky: 6676
Miata: 8331
So with just 14,700 sales per year at 10k per unit lost, that's saying GM is Hemorrhaging $147,000,000 a year on Kappa car sales..... That just doesn't sit right with me. This figure negates the sales of Opel and Daewoo units also.
Driver of a 2k8 Sky Redline, my wife named it "Stormy Sky"

MidnightDave

IMO: The Miata by any name or variant is an iconic vehicle, a segment leader, and worthy of consideration, if not purchase, just as is the Jeep Wrangler, Ford F150, and the BMW M3. Very different vehicles and that's the point. Not sure why I made it, but feel better now that I did.

Note to WIMMER: Love your current bonehead comment cut/paste in your sig!
2006 Lexus IS350 - bone stock wouldn't change a thing
2006 MINI Cooper S - For Sale!
2002 Toyota Tacoma - A man and his truck, it's a beautiful thing!