What would kill a starter

Started by sportyaccordy, September 08, 2008, 02:32:11 PM

sportyaccordy

I replaced a bad starter and the second one died a few hours later. The starter's not complicated... a wire from the positive terminal on the battery, a wire from the starter relay in the car, and two bolts holding it to the block.

How could I have messed it up?

S204STi

Could be a crap core.  There is a few hundred feet of copper wire inside, and if it breaks at any one point it won't work at all.

Champ

Could have hooked it up backwords.

MX793

Junk core could do it.  A weak battery can also cause a starter to burn out.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

sportyaccordy

TBR

So it didn't actually die? (I am an electronics newb).

sparkplug

Cranking it too long could kill it. Check the positve and grounds wire.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Byteme

Did you install a rebuilt starter?  A lot of rebuilt starters and alternators are crap.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Byteme on September 09, 2008, 06:47:33 AM
Did you install a rebuilt starter?  A lot of rebuilt starters and alternators are crap.

Yea I did. I dunno, I haven't had bad luck with them, even the last one was prob. good.

A lot of it also has to do with your wires... I anticipated the starter to + battery terminal cable being bad, which it is as my starter cranks a little slow now and dims the lights a bit much. I will replace that tonight.

This is my 3rd Accord, and the 3rd one I have had to replace these cables on.

S204STi

Just so you know, the starter grounds itself to the engine block.  You should only have to hook up 2 or 3 wires.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: R-inge on September 09, 2008, 07:15:15 AM
Just so you know, the starter grounds itself to the engine block.  You should only have to hook up 2 or 3 wires.

Yea there were only two wires to connect. The problem was there was a loose ground connection to the engine block.

Byteme

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 09, 2008, 09:32:37 AM
Yea there were only two wires to connect. The problem was there was a loose ground connection to the engine block.

Ground problems are a pain to diagnose.  If I were in your shoes, I'd consider running a ground wire from the block to the car body regardless of whatever else is there.  I assume the negative battery cable grounds on the body somewhere in the engine compartment.  Run the ground wire from the block to that point.  It can't hurt. 

S204STi

Good idea.  Imroving OEM grounds never hurts.

Rupert

I had a rebuilt starter die on that old Jeep after I had spent a million years installing it and breaking wrenches. The PO had welded some bolts so that it was a pain, and then they got stripped. I sold it after that. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

L. ed foote

Quote from: Byteme on September 09, 2008, 09:45:01 AM
Ground problems are a pain to diagnose.  

Having owned a A2 jetta, I can agree...
Member, Self Preservation Society

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Byteme on September 09, 2008, 09:45:01 AM
Ground problems are a pain to diagnose.  If I were in your shoes, I'd consider running a ground wire from the block to the car body regardless of whatever else is there.  I assume the negative battery cable grounds on the body somewhere in the engine compartment.  Run the ground wire from the block to that point.  It can't hurt. 

Yes I have a ground right off the negative terminal of the battery. I might need a little one elsewhere though.