Ford Makes its SVT Lineup Available to All Dealers

Started by BMWDave, July 27, 2005, 07:20:42 AM

BMWDave

Ford Makes its SVT Lineup Available to All Dealers
Date Posted 07-26-2005

LAKE PLACID, N.Y. ? Ford is mainstreaming its SVT performance lineup, making it available to all of its 3,900 U.S. dealers for the first time, Darryl B. Hazel, president of Ford Division told Inside Line.

"We need to do better with performance products," Hazel said. "I recognize the resources that have been made available are such that I don't think we can continue to demand exclusivity from a smaller group of dealers on SVT."

Hazel said the reaction from dealers has been mixed.

"Some think it's a terrific idea," he said. "Some think it's the worst idea they've ever heard."

There are about 600 full-line SVT dealers in the U.S. In 2002, Ford opened up the SVT program to all of its dealers to sell the 2004 SVT Focus; about 800 dealers signed on for that program.

SVT spokesman Alan Hall said not all are expected to sign on to the SVT program because of certification requirements. Although those requirements are still being formulated, they are expected to include special sales and service training for technicians.

The next SVT product due out is the Shelby Cobra GT500, which Ford will begin building as early as next spring. Hazel said it will be priced around $40,000. Volume numbers are still being determined, but Hazel said Cobras traditionally have had a volume of around 7,000 a year.

What this means to you: Finding an SVT dealer just got easier. Sure, the exclusivity factor might go down, but isn't SVT less about cachet and more about torque and top end?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

MX793

What SVT line-up? The SVT Focus got canned and I've heard no talks of reviving it, there will be no new Lightning since the engine program that was intended for the truck was scrapped, and the next Mustang Cobra is going to be a Shelby, not an SVT (though I see there that Ford will be considering it as an SVT model).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Colonel Cadillac

There will be more SVT in the future, the previous SVT products may not have been successful sales wise (if not), but they certainly were successful performance vehicles.  

TBR

QuoteWhat SVT line-up? The SVT Focus got canned and I've heard no talks of reviving it, there will be no new Lightning since the engine program that was intended for the truck was scrapped, and the next Mustang Cobra is going to be a Shelby, not an SVT (though I see there that Ford will be considering it as an SVT model).
Ford is still developing a new, large displacement V8, it just won't have as many "features" as the Hurricane was to have.  

giant_mtb

TBR

The Sport Trac isn't a suv, no matter what Ford will tell you it is a truck.  

giant_mtb

Ok well that's even worse.  I call it an SUV because it is, IMO, an SUV with the cargo hold de-roofed. ^_^

TBR

By definition, a suv is a truck with a cargo roof, so as far as I am concerned if it has a bed it is a truck.  

ifcar

An SVT Fusion should be the most popular addition to the lineup, and probably represents the reason so many dealers got on board.

Tom