Yes
17 (43.6%)
No
19 (48.7%)
I dunno
3 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 35

ChrisV

The Judeo Christian God is Omnipotent, Omniscient, and Omnipresent. Those three things rule out Free Will. He is outside of time and sees/understands all time and all teh universe at once and without time. Therefore He know everything that has/is/will occur. He knows all that you have done, are doing, will do. And he created everything just like that. You are as He created, and will do as He already knows you will do, as outside of time, you already have done it. You cannot deviate from that or He would be wrong. Thus no actual Free Will, just the illusion of it.

And of course, He created everything, including evil, and as an Omnipotent being, allows it to exist, as He could easily make it cease to exist.

if it is other than that, then He is neither Omnipotent, Omniscient, or Omnipresent, as He claims (I am the Alpha and the Omega, etc)

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

GoCougs

The only question is, "Is there proof?"

omicron

hotrodalex

Quote from: 93JC on September 15, 2008, 11:14:32 AM
So you're saying all the bad things in life should happen because that's what Allah wants to happen.

I don't get how that doesn't make her a pretty nasty deity.

I doubt any god would want bad things to happen, but it's a fact of life. You can't have the good without the bad.

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on September 15, 2008, 11:26:43 AM

Is there proof that there isn't a god?

omicron

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 15, 2008, 11:34:54 AM
I doubt any god would want bad things to happen, but it's a fact of life. You can't have the good without the bad.

Baked beans on buttered toast with cheese is always good. Always.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: omicron on September 15, 2008, 11:36:21 AM

Do you really put beans on toast? I'd have thunk some Vegemite or some Kalle's, but beans?

NomisR

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 15, 2008, 10:31:38 AM
If god created man in his own image, then he created war mongers, rapists, murderers, child molesters, and cannibals...among other things like AIDS and Cancer.  Whenever I bring these things up to Christians, they say it's because god gave us Free Will.  Really?  Free Will?  Did the victims have Free Will?  I don't think a two year old girl who gets raped and murdered had much Free Will in the matter.  

If the is a god, then he/she is probably playing a game like

http://www.crazymonkeygames.com/Pandemic-2.html

And I guess god isn't doing too well at it because we keep on defeating whatever it throws at us. 

One thing I don't get though.  Why do people call Jesus, God?  I thought Jesus was suppose to be the son of God, and there is only one god.  So if you pray to Jesus as your God, then you're forsaking God by praying and believing someone other than God himself.  So that means, those of you who believes in Jesus as God is going to hell just like the rest of us Atheists.  Am I correct on this?

hotrodalex

Quote from: omicron on September 15, 2008, 11:36:21 AM

Until cheese is recalled for some sort of food poisoning. :devil:

omicron

Quote from: NACar on September 15, 2008, 11:37:24 AM
Do you really put beans on toast? I'd have thunk some Vegemite or some Kalle's, but beans?

Vegemite is awful. Baked beans, however, are amazing. Bless the English and their quaint little traditions!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: omicron on September 15, 2008, 11:41:16 AM
Vegemite is awful. Baked beans, however, are amazing. Bless the English and their quaint little traditions!

You should try Kalle's on toast. I bought six tubes of it a while back, and I'm on number-four. :wub:

93JC

Well, if God wouldn't want bad things to happen, why does he let them or cause them to happen?

93JC

Quote from: NACar on September 15, 2008, 11:44:01 AM
You should try Kalle's on toast. I bought six tubes of it a while back, and I'm on number-four. :wub:

:nutty:

Buy some peanut butter you kook.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 93JC on September 15, 2008, 11:47:46 AM
:nutty:

Buy some peanut butter you kook.

Kaviar r00lz! Peanut butter... well, it also r00lz, but Kalle's r00lz!

ChrisV

Quote from: GoCougs on September 15, 2008, 11:26:43 AM

Do you love your father? Can you prove it empirically? No, you can't.

ChrisV

Why not?

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 15, 2008, 11:35:27 AM
Is there proof that there isn't a god?

Yes. Or rather, there isn't evidence.

Quote from: ChrisV on September 15, 2008, 11:50:36 AM
Do you love your father? Can you prove it empirically? No, you can't.

Sure I can. Ask him.

ChrisV

Quote from: GoCougs on September 15, 2008, 12:07:17 PM
Sure I can. Ask him.

But does he actually KNOW? You could just be going through the motions and he THINKS you do. Therefore, no empirical proof. YOU cannot prove empirically that you DO. Saying you do is not empirical proof.

hotrodalex

Quote from: ChrisV on September 15, 2008, 11:51:32 AM
Why not?

Well for one, you don't know what good is until you know what bad is. So if there was no bad, then life would always be "normal". No good times, no bad times, just normal.

ChrisV

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 15, 2008, 12:31:56 PM
Well for one, you don't know what good is until you know what bad is. So if there was no bad, then life would always be "normal". No good times, no bad times, just normal.

Why would that be important to God, since He already knows how you'll turn out? Why wouldn't He just create you to appreciate good already?

The point is, God made bad, evil, pain, etc, and subjects His creations to it just so they can experience good. That's sadistic by definition. There is no need for it, with His infinite power.

hotrodalex

Quote from: ChrisV on September 15, 2008, 12:38:16 PM
Why would that be important to God, since He already knows how you'll turn out? Why wouldn't He just create you to appreciate good already?

The point is, God made bad, evil, pain, etc, and subjects His creations to it just so they can experience good. That's sadistic by definition. There is no need for it, with His infinite power.

Well, with his infinite power, there's no need for anything, yet we exist don't we?

SVT666

What kind of god would demand that you worship him and ask him for forgiveness to be accepted into heaven when you die?  That's kind of hypocritical don't you think?

GoCougs

Quote from: ChrisV on September 15, 2008, 12:21:30 PM
But does he actually KNOW? You could just be going through the motions and he THINKS you do. Therefore, no empirical proof. YOU cannot prove empirically that you DO. Saying you do is not empirical proof.

Rational human action in either stating or showing love (i.e., "motion") is indeed empirical.

The fact remains: there is no proof or evidence (yet) of any of the gods.

If I were you I'd certainly keep searching, but I wouldn't do so in irrelevant questions for those who couldn't care less either way.

hotrodalex

Cougs, the fact remains that there are no facts about gods of any sort. No facts to either prove or disprove anything. Just faith (or lack of faith).

Eye of the Tiger

Whether or not there are any gods is not the question we should be asking; rather, the question is, do you believe in dragons? Throughout history, civilizations separated by thousands of years and impossible geographic distances have believed in dragons. How could this be? Is it inherit in human nature to want to believe in giant, fire breathing, flying lizards?

giant_mtb

Quote from: 93JC on September 15, 2008, 10:30:44 AM
Well, it follows that if Yahweh is all-powerful, all-knowing, etc. then he/she/it would be able to prevent all of the bad things that happen in the world. Or, through action or inaction on Yahweh's part, bad things happen.

Yeah, but Adam and Eve ruined it all for us when they decided to eat fruit from a goddamn tree.  After that, God gave up hope and decided to fuck us all over.  ...but then if Jesus died for our sins, why are we still not able to sin without having to ask God for forgiveness?  WTF kind of circle is this shit?

Religion. :wtf:

Eye of the Tiger

GoCougs

If I had to look inside my crystal ball, and if there was proof one day as to the existence of one or more of the thousands and thousands of gods, it would be shown to be a tangible, corporeal being.

I point the reader in the direction of the original Star Trek episode, "Who Mourns for Adonis" in which it is revealed that the Greek gods were actually a race of super-powerful beings who had a penchant for settling on primitive worlds to play god(s).