Ethiopian
0 (0%)
Other (specify)
2 (5.7%)
I prefer indigenous food
2 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Laconian

It's past lunchtime and I can't stop thinking about food, so I made a poll about it!

What is your favorite type of ethnic food? Is there anything you intend to try in the future? Anything you absolutely WILL NOT EAT?

Indian's my fallback although sometimes I feel repercussions from it the next day. The sauces are sometimes made with an incredible amount of salt, causing me to wake up several times during the night to drink more water. But nothing hits the spot like a good curry. I think that Indians make the best vegetarian food too, so Indian is always a crowd pleaser when I go out with vegetarian friends.

I've been going to Ethiopian on a semi-regular basis lately. The style of eating is novel, I really like the mix of flavors and the sourdough flatbread is quite tasty.

I like Thai a lot but I eat it a lot less, maybe because my palate is shifting away from oily foods and more towards dry spicy or vinegary flavors.

Chinese hot pot and snacks (xiaochi) like potstickers and steamed buns are another favorite of mine, though I have to be in the mood for oily food when I go for it. Has anybody here tried hot pot? It's basically a meat fondue where you dip raw meat into a boiling broth that is _black_ with pepper and spices. You pull out the meat once it's cooked, roll it in a bit of sesame oil or peanut oil and eat away. The meat is often all-you-can-eat, which is terrible for your health because the spiciness makes it easy to overeat.

Vietnamese pho (a beef noodle soup) and banh mi (French baguette stuffed with mint, cilantro, pork, onions, savory sauces) are quality cheap eats around here. $3 for a big warm aromatic sandwich that tastes and smells like freshness.

Korean is good once in a while. The service is always top notch at Korean places, especially if you order something like bim bap where the waiter/waitress has to personally prepare it at your table. And the customary free snacks they give you at the beginning of your meal are always an adventure, sometimes it's hit and miss but fun to eat nonetheless.

And I've been getting back into Greek too, where has it been all my life? Every time I eat Greek I can't help but think of summertime.

I've given Moroccan a few tries, but I am put off by the way they combine sweet and savory. I don't like tasting raisins with my meat, or powdered sugar on a meat tort.

My coworker needs to hurry the heck up and get back from the take-out place (it's Thai for lunch today), because I am wasting too many keystrokes on this topic!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

TBR

Mexican, it's about all I have had besides Chinese.

Rupert

I think the term "ethnic food" is silly.

But I like pretty much everything, especially sushi.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

Quote from: Psilos on September 18, 2008, 02:09:51 PM
I think the term "ethnic food" is silly.
furrin' food?

I don't eat seafood, but that's due to food allergies.

Eye of the Tiger

I LIKE ALL FOOD AS LONG AS THERE ARE NO BABY CORNS.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ChrisV

I eat chinese food, but mostly the chicken styles, so it's not really chinese. I love good mexican food, and there are a couple restaurants around here that serve it. I like Thai and japanese, but I have to be in the mood for either. But what I really like is this Afghani restaurant here in Baltimore (The Helmand), owned by the brother of the ousted Afghani leader before the Taliban came to power.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Tave

I really like Mexican and Thai, but I'll eat anything on the list. I love trying new foods.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

Curry, sushi, and cheezburgers are up there on my top ten list.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

S204STi

My wife and I eat Thai on a regular basis. 

GoCougs

Japanese; sushi, tempura, noodles, rice and some of the other styles I don't really know how to quickly describe in egrish.

It's seafood-rich (my fav in the world), healthy, and usually very quick. Few things can beat a sushi bar (with the conveyor belt, canal, train, etc.) in my world.

I pretty much like all foods - but I'm definitely biased more toward Asian foods in general.

93JC

Jewish (bagels) and Italian (pizza)? :huh:

Rupert

Quote from: Laconian on September 18, 2008, 02:16:50 PM
furrin' food?

I don't eat seafood, but that's due to food allergies.

Dem furners 'n' der werd vittles!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on September 18, 2008, 02:00:12 PM

What is your favorite type of ethnic food? Is there anything you intend to try in the future? Anything you absolutely WILL NOT EAT?

There are 12 things I will absolutely not eat. Casu Marzu, Gravlox, Baluts, Korean Mice Wine, Escamoles (ant eggs), Pacha (sheep's head), Mountain oysters, Kool-ickles (pickles soaked in Kool-aid), Airag (fermented mare's milk), Haggis, Duck Blood soup, and McDonald's Mcgriddles.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 18, 2008, 03:40:43 PM
There are 12 things I will absolutely not eat. Casu Marzu, Gravlox, Baluts, Korean Mice Wine, Escamoles (ant eggs), Pacha (sheep's head), Mountain oysters, Kool-ickles (pickles soaked in Kool-aid), Airag (fermented mare's milk), Haggis, Duck Blood soup, and McDonald's Mcgriddles.

I hear mountain oysters are quite good. They're on a ton of menus out here.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on September 18, 2008, 03:48:33 PM
I hear mountain oysters are quite good. They're on a ton of menus out here.

I don't care. I aint eatin' testicles.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Tave

Minpin

Chinese! I could eat it 7 times a week.

Mexican is a very close runner up though.

Definitely get some good Mexican food down in Houston, not so much up here.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 18, 2008, 03:40:43 PM

So you're cool with natto and hakarl?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Psilos on September 18, 2008, 04:03:58 PM
So you're cool with natto and hakarl?

Hakarl is another version of gravlox as far as I'm concerned, and I don't know what natto is.

Soup DeVille

Yeah, I guess i'd try natto. I've had miso.

Laconian

I am curious as to what natto tastes like.

Tave

It doesn't look half bad.

Rupert

According to the wiki, gravlox is no longer buried and fermented. Sounds pretty good, actually. Hakarl, on the other hand, is supposed to be one of the most disgusting foods in the world. So is natto.

I've had both, and only natto was really disgusting.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Psilos on September 18, 2008, 04:14:53 PM
According to the wiki, gravlox is no longer buried and fermented. Sounds pretty good, actually. Hakarl, on the other hand, is supposed to be one of the most disgusting foods in the world. So is natto.

I've had both, and only natto was really disgusting.

Well, in that case I meant gravlox prepared the traditional way. And I can't believe anything made out of beans is more sdisgusting than Casu Marzu.

Rupert

Natto doesn't taste as bad as the texture. The taste isn't exactly pleasing, but the texture is disgusting. I had to use lots of hot sauce for a distraction.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 18, 2008, 04:16:00 PM
Well, in that case I meant gravlox prepared the traditional way. And I can't believe anything made out of beans is more sdisgusting than Casu Marzu.

I don't think I'd eat casu marzu, either.

Traditional gravlox would be similar to hakarl, but probably worse because of the texture of salmon. I'd still eat it.

Laconian

I just phoned a coworker and asked him about natto. He said it's not bad when served with a Japanese golden curry, otherwise it's "just disgusting slimy beans."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Psilos on September 18, 2008, 04:18:33 PM
I don't think I'd eat casu marzu, either.

Traditional gravlox would be similar to hakarl, but probably worse because of the texture of salmon. I'd still eat it.

I'd eat it if I were in prison and my only other choice was starving, but that's about it.