Lancer Ralliart vs MS3 vs WRX vs Cobalt SS (finishing order 4th-1st) R/T

Started by S204STi, September 25, 2008, 10:57:29 AM

S204STi

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=7103

Cliffnotes: Ralliart is not as much of an Evo Lite as it is an Extra Strength Lancer, and it acts like it. MS3 is just as awesome as always but is finally outshined by the competition.  The WRX has its game back with a blistering 5.1 0-60 and 13.8 quarter @ 101.0mph, and best time on the autoX course. Cobalt SS Turbo just does everything a bit better than the rest.

r0tor

i'm really thinking of dropping C&D and buying a R&T subscription... so much more interesting data and comparisons

This would also validate Autoweek's review of the Ralliart as being unneeded as its not sporty like the Evo and not cheap like the Lancer...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

the Teuton

The Cobalt SS is almost a spiritual successor to the Neon SRT-4.  It just seems like a fantastic sport compact.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: the Teuton on September 25, 2008, 12:27:36 PM
The Cobalt SS is almost a spiritual successor to the Neon SRT-4.  It just seems like a fantastic sport compact.

It's also massively better in almost every quantifiable sense.

the Teuton

It'd be nice to see Chevy upgrade the interior for the Cobalt as well as make the rest of the Cobalt line fun.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on September 25, 2008, 12:27:36 PM
Go find a used Cobalt SS Supercharged and take it for a spin.  It's a helluva car that I would buy in a heartbeat.  The Turbo is even better.

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 25, 2008, 12:40:38 PM
Go find a used Cobalt SS Supercharged and take it for a spin.  It's a helluva car that I would buy in a heartbeat.  The Turbo is even better.

Will I like it more than the Cooper S JCW?

The JCW actually has a fair amount of torque steer, btw.

r0tor

Quote from: the Teuton on September 25, 2008, 12:42:38 PM

i really didn't detect much in the 08 i drove
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

the Teuton

Quote from: r0tor on September 25, 2008, 12:44:18 PM
i really didn't detect much in the 08 i drove

How hard did you gun it and from what gear?  I probably pulled a 15-60 run from second gear and there was some definite tugging.  It wasn't "OMGWTFBBQ!" tugging, but it was a fair amount.

r0tor

nailed it from second... I could tell it was FWD but remember my Proge GT being much worse which was a ton better then the 1st gen turbo Probe GT's

...its all about perspective i guess

Payman

I like torque steer. It adds to the driving entertainment.

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on September 25, 2008, 12:42:38 PM

I've driven an '08 Cooper S JCW and I did like the Mini more...but not by much.  If it was my money, I would buy the Cobalt SS S/C over the Mini just because of the price difference.

SVT666

FlatBlackCaddy

The cobalt SS is a hell or a performer. The only problem i have with it stems from the fact that i'm not blind.

It looks fresh out of 1992 and the whole thing is just a gigantic generic lump that contains no style. I've seen more design effort when i walk down the writing utensil isle at officemax.

Eye of the Tiger

I didn't know the Cobalt SS was available in such a plain looking 4-door configuration...  f'in sweet. All that for $23k, only $2k more than the original SRT-4... what a steal!
I am skeptical about this "ability to perform no-lift shifts via an algorithm in the engine controller". Does this only happen at wide-open throttle, or all throttle positions; and can I turn it off?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Quote from: NACar on September 25, 2008, 02:13:21 PM
I didn't know the Cobalt SS was available in such a plain looking 4-door configuration...  f'in sweet. All that for $23k, only $2k more than the original SRT-4... what a steal!
I am skeptical about this "ability to perform no-lift shifts via an algorithm in the engine controller". Does this only happen at wide-open throttle, or all throttle positions; and can I turn it off?

From GM's Service Info (also found in the owner's manual):

"If the vehicle has the 2.0L turbo engine and manual transmission, it has the capability of No-Lift Upshifts. This feature maximizes vehicle acceleration by allowing you to shift the transmission to a higher gear without taking your foot off the accelerator. No-Lift Upshifting is enabled in all Electronic Stability Control modes. See Electronic Stability Control (ESC) for more information. Use this feature only when the engine has reached normal operating temperature. Correct shifting allows the engine to maintain boost pressure during shifts, while also keeping the engine from over-revving.

To utilize this feature:

1.Accelerate the vehicle by fully depressing the accelerator pedal.
2.Just prior to reaching the maximum engine speed, quickly complete the upshift utilizing the clutch while keeping the accelerator pedal fully applied. A quicker shift maneuver gives the best performance. If the engine is operated at the maximum engine speed for greater than one second, the engine exits the No-Lift Upshift mode and resumes normal engine overspeed protection.

S204STi

So basically it is always on but activates only when at WOT, and if you screw the pooch and can't find the next gate in time it will fall out of No-Lift mode and will activate whatever overspeed protection it normally would use.

Eye of the Tiger

Wow 104mph traps out of the Cobalt SS!  I predicted the turbo wouldn't be much faster than the old supercharged version because the old version was so underrated, but this new Turbo has got to be pretty underrated as well.

104mph traps will give a 335i and G37 coupe a good run on the highway, and walk away from the new STI and EVO.

Raza

I'd rank them about the same.  The 09 WRX seems to be a marked improvement over the massive shitpile that was the 08, but the Cobalt SS is a fantastic achievement.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 25, 2008, 02:09:56 PM
The cobalt SS is a hell or a performer. The only problem i have with it stems from the fact that i'm not blind.

It looks fresh out of 1992 and the whole thing is just a gigantic generic lump that contains no style. I've seen more design effort when i walk down the writing utensil isle at officemax.

lol I kind of like the fact that you can play it off as a crappy little rental car sleeper. Get it in a more unassuming color than that taxi-cab yellow, and cops won't even notice you weaving past traffic :devil:

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

Quote from: R-inge on September 25, 2008, 02:22:04 PM
From GM's Service Info (also found in the owner's manual):

"If the vehicle has the 2.0L turbo engine and manual transmission, it has the capability of No-Lift Upshifts. This feature maximizes vehicle acceleration by allowing you to shift the transmission to a higher gear without taking your foot off the accelerator. No-Lift Upshifting is enabled in all Electronic Stability Control modes. See Electronic Stability Control (ESC) for more information. Use this feature only when the engine has reached normal operating temperature. Correct shifting allows the engine to maintain boost pressure during shifts, while also keeping the engine from over-revving.

To utilize this feature:

1.Accelerate the vehicle by fully depressing the accelerator pedal.
2.Just prior to reaching the maximum engine speed, quickly complete the upshift utilizing the clutch while keeping the accelerator pedal fully applied. A quicker shift maneuver gives the best performance. If the engine is operated at the maximum engine speed for greater than one second, the engine exits the No-Lift Upshift mode and resumes normal engine overspeed protection.

In reality it just cuts the gas when the clutch switch is activated... -shrug-

Its not like a true anit-lag system that will actually maintain boost while your off the throttle, or a sequential or DSG tranny that will allow near seemless power transmission

S204STi

Sedan looks like ass, but I agree with the Coupe being fairly passable.

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on September 25, 2008, 04:08:03 PM
In reality it just cuts the gas when the clutch switch is activated... -shrug-

Its not like a true anit-lag system that will actually maintain boost while your off the throttle, or a sequential or DSG tranny that will allow near seemless power transmission

True, but still nifty for a street car.

Eye of the Tiger

If you guise don't like how the Cobalt sedan looks, at least it's cheap enough that you can still afford a body kit, a wing, and some stick-on hood skoopz.

Cookie Monster

Wow, the Terbow is nice, except for the sedan. I'd like a coupe, but then again I'd rather get the WRX because IMO it looks better and it's a hatchback.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

S204STi

Quote from: thecarnut on September 25, 2008, 04:40:15 PM
Wow, the Terbow is nice, except for the sedan. I'd like a coupe, but then again I'd rather get the WRX because IMO it looks better and it's a hatchback.

Attaboy.