Lancer Ralliart vs MS3 vs WRX vs Cobalt SS (finishing order 4th-1st) R/T

Started by S204STi, September 25, 2008, 10:57:29 AM

MX793

So is the '09 WRX out yet?  I thought I read that it would hit dealers Sept 1st, but none of my local dealers (by local I mean basically anyone within 70 miles or so) have gotten any and Subie's website is still advertising the '08, even in the "build your own" section (all other models are now advertised as '09s).  Are they not trying too hard to push the '09 right off the bat in an effort to clear out leftover '08s or something?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Quote from: R-inge on September 25, 2008, 04:08:30 PM
Sedan looks like ass, but I agree with the Coupe being fairly passable.

Doesn't Cobb have no lift shift programs for the WRX?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Rich

The Cobalt's programming doesn't cut throttle, just affects the valve/spark timing.  Somehow it keeps the boost up between shifts
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

omicron

Goodness me - that Cobalt is very sharp indeed. I don't think I could buy a car that looked so dreadfully boring, though - put an Astra 3-door body on it and things would be very different.

S204STi

Quote from: HotRodPilot on September 27, 2008, 05:17:01 AM
The Cobalt's programming doesn't cut throttle, just affects the valve/spark timing.  Somehow it keeps the boost up between shifts

It has to stall engine speed somehow.  I'm just not sure how it does that.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FordSVT

I'm hoping the next MPS3 debuts when the rest of the lineup hits the floor next year, I just might get one.

I like the Cobalt well enough, and it's a good bargain and a great performer.....

...but to be honest I still get Z24 vibes from it. It's mostly the looks but the interior doesn't do it any favours either. I know that's not a big deal if performance and at-the-limit handling are your #1 and 2 considerations, but it would prevent me from purchasing one.

Vinsanity

Quote from: FordSVT on September 30, 2008, 06:48:12 AM
I'm hoping the next MPS3 debuts when the rest of the lineup hits the floor next year, I just might get one.

I like the Cobalt well enough, and it's a good bargain and a great performer.....

...but to be honest I still get Z24 vibes from it. It's mostly the looks but the interior doesn't do it any favours either. I know that's not a big deal if performance and at-the-limit handling are your #1 and 2 considerations, but it would prevent me from purchasing one.

if you look further back, maybe you could get Nova SS396 vibes from it? :huh: :lol:

FordSVT

^You're talking to a guy who hates Chevy Novas so no, that wouldn't work either. :)

Vinsanity

LOL I love Chevy Novas :praise: They're like the perfect blank canvas for hot rodding and all other sorts of customizing

Raza

Have you guys been in a Cobalt?  I drove the old SS/SC and while I don't really care much about the quality of a car's interior, but it wasn't that bad. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FordSVT

^Yes. My Mazda's interior was essentially designed five years ago with a few tiny changes and it's much nicer.

I think I've reached the point in my life when I must consider the entire package when purchasing a car, whether it's an economy car or a sports car or a truck. I drive a lot, and I like a nice interior and exterior design. The car spends 90% of it's life sitting in the driveway or driving at 3/10ths, these things are important to me. I also like the practicality of the 5-door.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=15941.msg891125#msg891125 date=1222809140
Have you guys been in a Cobalt?  I drove the old SS/SC and while I don't really care much about the quality of a car's interior, but it wasn't that bad. 
I agree with you.  I don't understand all the complaints about the Cobalt's interior.  It's nott he best interior in the class, but it certainly isn't bad.

FordSVT

^I didn't say bad, just not the best, or even second best.

These days, few cars are total shite. Most cars are worth what you pay for them. It's a swathe of different shades of good to excellent, and therefore, even a "good" car can seem substandard in some areas compared to it's peers. A mediocre car today is better than the best cars 10 years ago, but that doesn't mean I'll settle for third or forth best even if that is "better than it used to be".

Raza

I'd say the Cobalt's interior is better than the Impreza's and the Lancer's. 

And it probably has the best seats of them all.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on October 01, 2008, 07:11:24 PM
I'd say the Cobalt's interior is better than the Impreza's and the Lancer's. 

And it probably has the best seats of them all.

Mmm...no.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on October 01, 2008, 07:15:45 PM

Mmm...no.

Quote from: the Teuton on October 01, 2008, 07:22:53 PM
Maybe the Lancer's, but the new Imp's is pretty nice.

Sayeth the trolls.

Yeah, it is.  The Impreza's a piece of shit all around (08s, anyway).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on October 01, 2008, 07:52:32 PM
Sayeth the trolls.

You can snap the plastic cupholders right out of the Cobalt.  All you have to do is squeeze the flimsy plastic.

The Impreza is much nicer.  I can't speak too much about the Lancer, though.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on October 01, 2008, 07:52:32 PM
Sayeth the trolls.

Mmmm...no number 3 for the night. I'm beginning to wonder if you've even driven these cars.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on October 01, 2008, 07:55:03 PM
You can snap the plastic cupholders right out of the Cobalt.  All you have to do is squeeze the flimsy plastic.

The Impreza is much nicer.  I can't speak too much about the Lancer, though.

I did the same thing with the Civic. I refuse to make any judgement on any car based on the durability of the cupholders.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on October 01, 2008, 07:55:55 PM

Mmmm...no number 3 for the night. I'm beginning to wonder if you've even driven these cars.

Fuck you, motherfucker. 

As I've said, my standards for interior quality aren't very high.  But I think the Cobalt gets ripped on more than it deserves.  Perhaps the Impreza's interior is nicer (and perhaps I can't get over how shit the car was to drive), but it's definitely better than the Lancer's. 

Sure, there are cheap plastics, but they fit together well enough.  If the quality of the plastics is the number one concern, then the Mazda3 isn't really head of the class either. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on October 01, 2008, 11:41:16 PM
Fuck you, motherfucker. 

As I've said, my standards for interior quality aren't very high.  But I think the Cobalt gets ripped on more than it deserves.  Perhaps the Impreza's interior is nicer (and perhaps I can't get over how shit the car was to drive), but it's definitely better than the Lancer's. 

Sure, there are cheap plastics, but they fit together well enough.  If the quality of the plastics is the number one concern, then the Mazda3 isn't really head of the class either. 

I can't imagine what is then.   :rolleyes:

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on October 01, 2008, 11:42:48 PM
I can't imagine what is then.   :rolleyes:

Based solely on plastics quality?  Only on these four cars?  Because if you expand it to fit the whole class, the GTI blows them all away in every aspect.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on October 01, 2008, 11:44:26 PM
Based solely on plastics quality?  Only on these four cars?  Because if you expand it to fit the whole class, the GTI blows them all away in every aspect.

The GTI is a poor man's Audi.

I understand the materials in the Euro version are even better (of course, we have to go through cost cutting).

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on October 01, 2008, 11:48:44 PM
The GTI is a poor man's Audi.

I understand the materials in the Euro version are even better (of course, we have to go through cost cutting).

If you consider the whole package, VWs do have the best interiors out there, short of Audi, I'd say.  Well, maybe Bentley has better interiors, but they're just VWs anyway.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on October 01, 2008, 11:51:03 PM
If you consider the whole package, VWs do have the best interiors out there, short of Audi, I'd say.  Well, maybe Bentley has better interiors, but they're just VWs anyway.

So why buy a Bentley when a Phaeton is just as good?

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Minpin

Quote from: the Teuton on October 01, 2008, 11:53:55 PM
So why buy a Bentley when a Phaeton is just as good?

Bentleys get you poontang, VWs, well don't. Look at Raza.

:lol:

?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?