Brakes for Durango

Started by rohan, September 26, 2008, 08:34:38 PM

rohan

It's time to replace the rotors and pads- I'm looking for something that will do a really good job on the freeway and in a town of about 200,000 people.  Don't care about dust because after I burnish them there shouldn't be to much but I really care about heat tolerance and even the ability to haul a camper.  Thinking about going OEM style Brembos but don't even know wht to do for pads.  Need suggestions please
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Rupert

I'd just go OEM all around. Isn't this a fairly new SUV?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

rohan

OEM pads suck on the durango- they glaze really easy.  It's not new new it's a 07 that Erica bought in early 07 and it's got about 45-50,000
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

S204STi

Look into Hawk pads and Brembo OE replacement rotors.  Don't bother with slotted or any of that fancy shit.

What model year is that btw?  I found these on Tire Rack for an 07 Durango 4wd Limited:

Hawk HPS pads and Brembo OE replacement rotors.

280Z Turbo

Brake pads are a tradeoff.

Some compounds are low dusting and quiet, but don't produce much friction and fade easily. Some have great stopping power, but make a bunch of dust and noise and wear out the rotors. You could end up with any combination of these characteristics depending on the material used.

First look at what it is available and then do some research into the various brands and compounds and decide how much dust/noise/wear you are willing to tolerate for braking performance.

Rupert

Quote from: rohan on September 26, 2008, 09:57:48 PM
OEM pads suck on the durango- they glaze really easy.  It's not new new it's a 07 that Erica bought in early 07 and it's got about 45-50,000

I guess I knew that... The 2003 I've been driving for work has shitty brakes.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

280Z Turbo

Quote from: R-inge on September 26, 2008, 10:01:14 PM
Look into Hawk pads and Brembo OE replacement rotors.  Don't bother with slotted or any of that fancy shit.

What model year is that btw?  I found these on Tire Rack for an 07 Durango 4wd Limited:

Hawk HPS pads and Brembo OE replacement rotors.

I agree with you on the rotor thing.

I was not impressed with Hawk HPS. They are okay, but I have a hard time believing they are any better than Autozone pads that cost half as much.

S204STi

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 26, 2008, 10:06:49 PM
I agree with you on the rotor thing.

I was not impressed with Hawk HPS. They are okay, but I have a hard time believing they are any better than Autozone pads that cost half as much.

Fair enough.  I'd trust your opinion more frankly than my own on the topic since you've got actual experience setting up track brakes, and generally.  I just install whatever the customer wants, but frankly a lot of aftermarket stuff, even from Napa, is not that great.  On the other hand I hear good things about Hawk.  Perhaps the HPS is just not as good for what it is as other options.

r0tor

I'm overall pleased with my Hawk HPS pads... first stop they are ok in bite, after that they work very well up until they overheat.  The Hawk cermaics are a very nice low noise low dust option.

My father replaced his rotors on his $Runner after they warped with some of Napa's "premium" or whatever they call their best... I was skeptical before I saw them, but those things were extremely nice for the price.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed