Next Mercedes E-Class - picture

Started by nickdrinkwater, September 29, 2008, 03:04:21 PM

nickdrinkwater

I'm afraid it's not good news.

http://jalopnik.com/5056164/2010-mercedes-e+class-spotted-fully-nude

The Mercedes range-uglification program is almost complete.

Submariner

Well...lets not go too far off the deep end.  It looks very similar to the current E, which was by no means a looker in it's first photos. 

Although, I could be very, very wrong.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

It looks like a frumpier S class, just E class size.  The current E is so nice.  What's wrong with them?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Pommes-T

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! They must be kidding, pleaaaase!!! :cry: :partyon:

WTF is wrong with Mercedes? I didn't like the styling of the C-Class too much and it lost against cars like the Mondeo in comparisons. Then they made the ugly ass CLC and now they ruined the sleek looking E-class. I mean: Look at the rear.  :pee:
'00 BMW 523i

the Teuton

The rising chrome trim looks cheap as hell.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

They designed a bigger car than they actually had the wheelbase for. So they had to choose between an oversized rear overhang a la Jetta or a stumpy little trunk a la Mazda 3.

But from the B-pillar forward it doesn't look too bad.

Colonel Cadillac

What's with the windows and chrome sloping upwards? What happened to straight, it always looked good. While I love the early-mid 90's E-class and is one of my favorite Mercedes', but the current E-class is beautiful and the the pinnacle of E-class designs. I really don't like this new one, but I didn't like the S-class either until I started seeing it around.

omicron

It has the same awkwardness of many Chinese designs, with all those lines and curves whooshing about in all directions to 'excite the eye'.

Quote from: Submariner on September 29, 2008, 03:12:47 PM
Well...lets not go too far off the deep end.  It looks very similar to the current E, which was by no means a looker in it's first photos. 

Although, I could be very, very wrong.

The first unclad shot that I recall of the current W211 before its launch was taken on the set of Men In Black II, and it looked sensational.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Submariner

All I can say it has going for it, is the general shape of the current E.

I sincerely hope it looks better in person.

Goodness, nows the time to buy an E550 sport.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

ChrisV

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on September 29, 2008, 06:04:06 PM
What's with the windows and chrome sloping upwards? What happened to straight, it always looked good. 

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

AltinD

To me it seams like the pic is deformed, probably by PS-ed for lens distorsion correction.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

omicron

Quote from: ChrisV on September 30, 2008, 02:20:54 PM

Yes! A British Leyland origami experiment in tinfoil made only on Thursdays is exactly the right inspiration for a large luxury German sedan!

:lol:

Atomic

sadly, i looks more like the c-class than an s-class.

i do not dislike the new c-class. i just prefer the looks of a bmw.

the actually "s-class" is awesome, though!

Danish

Quote from: Raza  on September 29, 2008, 03:32:59 PM
It looks like a frumpier S class, just E class size.

Thats exactly what I was thinking
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

ChrisV

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on September 30, 2008, 04:36:18 PM
That always looked rubbish, too.

I was posting it because of the slogan for that car. Seems to be coming true, eh?
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

TBR

Surprise, like all recent MBs (other than the CL, that is a beautiful car) it is hideous.

omicron

I for one am rather worried about the upcoming Gullwing/SLC/whatsit - I fear that more of this fussy, slashing malarkey liberally applied will turn what ought to be a stunning car into a contrived drib-drab of details.

Feel free to prove me wrong, Mercedes-Benz, of course.

nickdrinkwater

More pics:

Looks like they have jumped on the always-on LEDs bandwagon.

cawimmer430

There's a 16 page thread about it on GCZ. MB apparently leaked these photos to take away media attention from the new BMW Z4. A German car website says they were informed by MB that the new AMG E-Class will have a 600-horsepower+ engine.  :ohyeah:

The W212 looks pretty decent but I'll wait until I see it in real life. Looks like a solid design mix between W204 C-Class and W221 S-Class.  :mrcool:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

omicron

That rear end is quite nice indeed, and the stance displayed in the first photo is rather sharp.

However:

NO.

cozmik

I'm not diggin it from these pics. The rear end looks Asian. Hyundai specifically. The front just doesn't seem to match anything. The shapes all seem random. Perhaps it'll look different in person, but these photos don't make it look all that great.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

SVT_Power

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 10, 2008, 08:57:12 AM
A German car website says they were informed by MB that the new AMG E-Class will have a 600-horsepower+ engine.  :ohyeah:

:mask:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

the Teuton

So how much horsepower is too much? 

Will Cadillac respond with a 600 hp CTS and a 700 hp Corvette to keep all things the same?

Tave

Since GM recently announced that they pulled funding on all new models, I think it will be a miracle if they respond at all.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on December 10, 2008, 09:45:52 AM
So how much horsepower is too much? 

Will Cadillac respond with a 600 hp CTS STS and a 700 hp Corvette to keep all things the same?

ifcar

They're not going to respond with any STS.