El Camino project car

Started by hotrodalex, October 04, 2008, 12:49:56 PM

Eye of the Tiger

That's all good, but have you ordered the supercharger?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: NACar on April 04, 2009, 04:01:00 PM
That's all good, but have you ordered the supercharger 30" wheels and Donk conversion?
:evildude:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

New door locks are in!

Bad news though - passenger side doesn't like to lock. I can push down the lock and it won't engage the lock. Only if I keep my hand firmly on it will it stay locked. Otherwise it pops up when I open the door. I'll have to take it apart next weekend and see what's up.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 04, 2009, 10:58:37 AM
I called the machine shop today. They've checked out the block and it's all good. They want to bore it to clean up the cylinder walls, but that's about it. He said they will check out the heads this week and call me after that.

Once the weather gets better I'm going to put in the new locks. I also need to change the locking mechanism on the passenger door. It's from a '70 car so the interior lock is in a different location.

Get a 383 crank, and do something with the heads.
Also, don't even think about doing a TH350 automatic - good as they are, your 4-speed is much cooler.

hotrodalex

Quote from: NACar on April 11, 2009, 05:28:50 PM
Get a 383 crank, and do something with the heads.
Also, don't even think about doing a TH350 automatic - good as they are, your 4-speed is much cooler.

4 speed is definitely staying.

hotrodalex

The engine in the car is now ready to be pulled on Monday. Spent a couple hours taking off almost all the parts I could - should be a quick pull.

Eye of the Tiger

That motor is fugly, You should get a nice set of long tube ceramic coated headers like I put on my ol' redneck truck. They were only like $200 for the set.

hotrodalex

Quote from: NACar on May 02, 2009, 05:55:52 PM
That motor is fugly, You should get a nice set of long tube ceramic coated headers like I put on my ol' redneck truck. They were only like $200 for the set.

it's fugly but it still makes 2x the power of teh swift. :evildude:

The new one will be prettier. And hopefully I'll be able to clean up the wiring and stuff too. It annoys me when stuff like that isn't neat.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 03, 2009, 04:09:21 PM
it's fugly but it still makes 2x the power of teh swift. :evildude:

The new one will be prettier. And hopefully I'll be able to clean up the wiring and stuff too. It annoys me when stuff like that isn't neat.

It only makes 150 hp? That's pretty sad, seeing how it's got four times the displacement of the Swift  :evildude:

hotrodalex

Quote from: NACar on May 03, 2009, 04:13:26 PM
It only makes 150 hp? That's pretty sad, seeing how it's got four times the displacement of the Swift  :evildude:

It made ~130 from the factory I think. It's from one of the worst years in car history - 1979. Right now I think it's making 180 maybe.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 03, 2009, 04:29:47 PM
It made ~130 from the factory I think. It's from one of the worst years in car history - 1979. Right now I think it's making 180 maybe.

What is that, like 1:1 compression on those things?  :lol:

S204STi

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 02, 2009, 11:21:48 AM
The engine in the car is now ready to be pulled on Monday. Spent a couple hours taking off almost all the parts I could - should be a quick pull.

Those old cars are so easy to work on, eh?

hotrodalex

Quote from: R-inge on May 03, 2009, 05:04:12 PM
Those old cars are so easy to work on, eh?

:ohyeah:

The hardest part is bending over for a couple hours. :lol:

hotrodalex

I've had the new engine in it for awhile now. It was a pretty easy job - just took the hood off and put it in. I've put most of the accessories on, just need to hook up the power steering, battery, and starter. Also need to clean up the headers and put them on. Then it should be able to run!

Here's some pics. Looks much better than the other engine.  :ohyeah:
I don't have the air cleaner on it right now, but here's what it looks like with it.

Without it.

I'm going to use these valve covers. Just have to strip all the paint and polish them up.

Byteme

Decided on a color yet?

I' think those trucks look good in dark green.

GoCougs

Cool - what are the specs on the engine?

hotrodalex

Quote from: Byteme on July 09, 2009, 12:04:11 PM
Decided on a color yet?

I' think those trucks look good in dark green.

I was checking out paint colors at PPG and I think I'm going to go with a dark metallic red.

Quote from: GoCougs on July 09, 2009, 12:21:34 PM
Cool - what are the specs on the engine?

Right now it's at 260 hp and 350 ft lbs of torque, but that can change anytime.  :evildude:

Byteme

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 09, 2009, 01:42:52 PM
I was checking out paint colors at PPG and I think I'm going to go with a dark metallic red.

I don't think I've ever seen one tht color.  Might look ptetty good.

hotrodalex

I'm going to need a new outer tie rod. I tried to change the boots, as the driver's side didn't have one and the passenger side one was old. There may have been a reason the driver side didn't have one though - it was almost impossible to get off.

The engine is almost ready to start up. Just have to add all the coolant, prime the oil, and maybe fill the fuel lines to make the start up quick.

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 09, 2009, 01:42:52 PM
Right now it's at 260 hp and 350 ft lbs of torque, but that can change anytime.  :evildude:

A mild cam would do wonders.

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on August 13, 2009, 12:28:27 PM
A mild cam would do wonders.

I'm still thinking about what I want to do with it. I can go a couple different ways - small block tuned a bit to make 400hp/400tq, big block with a mild tune making maybe 450/450, or an LSx engine.

I think I'm going to turn it into a Pro Touring car, so I'm leaning towards a small block because of weight issues. That leaves the engine I have now or an LSx. I usually prefer the carb'd engines as they sound more natural and I can mess around with them more, so I may keep this engine and tune it up eventually (cam, intake, carb, heads, more performance oriented headers, etc).

Quote from: Catman on August 13, 2009, 05:50:54 PM
Nice! :ohyeah:

Thanks!

The Pirate

Very cool, man!  There's definitely some old Detroit iron in my future, soon as finances and space allow.  Gotta love all the room in that engine bay.  :praise:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

hotrodalex

Engine has been started!

Not including the smoking header/sparks, roasted spark plug wire, and a possible blown power steering pump, it went well! :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

I put in the new tie rod and boots and also put on some better battery cables today.

AND.....

Took it out for the first time to get some gas. Nothing broke, so it was successful! :lol:
Gotta say though, it's kind of a scary car to drive. I need to mess with the clutch to make sure it's engaging and disengaging properly and switch to disk brakes. The suspension will also have to be tightened down. Thing is literally a boat right now. It will probably be better when I get my bucket seats in though. The bench seat is basically a 40 year old couch and the lack of seat belts doesn't help.

Eye of the Tiger

Sweet. Wanna race?
My old Chevy truck was pretty scary to drive, too. New shocks really helped, but I never did fix the loose steering, or the brakes :mask: