El Camino project car

Started by hotrodalex, October 04, 2008, 12:49:56 PM

Rupert

Those are the high beams? Don't do it.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on September 29, 2014, 04:18:59 PM
Those are the high beams? Don't do it.

That's where the high beams are now. Can be moved to a single hi-low outside light.

Rupert

Oh, right, of course. Yes, do it with fogs there.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

I mean, it's a terrible location for fogs, but since they're pretty pointless anyway... :lol:

hotrodalex

There's no fog in this place anyway.

Rupert

I have yellow fog lights on the 944 ( :wub: ), and they're just about totally useless. My regular low beams are low, have a high cutoff, and are 90W, though.

hotrodalex

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

280Z Turbo

Hey, get that Kraut crap outta here :erjerbs:

hotrodalex

I should swap in a BMW 328i engine w/ CAI.

hotrodalex

Haters gon' hate.

Rupert

Cool. The outers are now high/low and the inners are ...?

hotrodalex

To be honest, I could use these as high beams. They're aimed a little high right now and visibility is basically the same as the high beams, just a little more on the yellow side of the spectrum.

Rupert

What's the pattern? That's the difference between highs, lows, fogs, etc.

hotrodalex

Thought they had a pretty low cutoff but they seemed pretty spread. I'll have to find a good wall/garage door and get it all aimed nicely.

Rupert

That's the worst part about modifying lights. Surprisingly hard to find a perfectly level place to park 25 ft from a wall.

Secret Chimp

What kit did you order? I need to get rid of the old dimmy dims before winter.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

hotrodalex

The ambers are Wagner 4412a. I haven't ordered H4 hi-lows since it appears I don't actually need them.

I had to do a little modification to the connections - they have a wide connection that wouldn't fit through the radiator support hole. So I just broke them off and re-soldered them (using a trusty Harbor Freight butane torch as a soldering iron, because faster).

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on October 09, 2014, 12:48:15 AM
That's the worst part about modifying lights. Surprisingly hard to find a perfectly level place to park 25 ft from a wall.

A little trigonometry and you can align headlights while parked inside your garage. Easy, just can't hamfist it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 14, 2014, 04:53:11 PM
A little trigonometry and you can align headlights while parked inside your garage. Easy, just can't hamfist it.

Eh, true enough. Smaller adjustments have a larger effect at 25 ft, though, and many/most of the headlights I've tried to adjust have been kind of a finicky pain. Seems like you would be less likely to be accurate even if you were careful at 5-10 ft.

Rupert

Quote from: Secret Chimp on October 14, 2014, 11:04:49 AM
What kit did you order? I need to get rid of the old dimmy dims before winter.

Hella makes kits, and IMO they're the minimum you want. Not too expensive relative to the really good stuff.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on October 14, 2014, 07:41:09 PM
Hella makes kits, and IMO they're the minimum you want. Not too expensive relative to the really good stuff.

Most of the Hella kits I found weren't DOT certified. Dunno if that's just crappy internet searching.

Rupert

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 14, 2014, 11:13:59 AM
The ambers are Wagner 4412a. I haven't ordered H4 hi-lows since it appears I don't actually need them.

I had to do a little modification to the connections - they have a wide connection that wouldn't fit through the radiator support hole. So I just broke them off and re-soldered them (using a trusty Harbor Freight butane torch as a soldering iron, because faster).

Are they amber or selective yellow?

BTW, if your "low" beam is so scattered that it might as well be a high beam, then the lamp is pretty terrible quality and you're blinding other drivers.

Rupert

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 14, 2014, 07:42:13 PM
Most of the Hella kits I found weren't DOT certified. Dunno if that's just crappy internet searching.

Oh no, you reeaalllly don't want a DOT certified kit. You want the E-code kit. Cops can't tell the difference unless they really really want to make trouble for you, and the E-codes are waaaay (way way) better.

Here, this link is a must read for anyone upgrading lighting (or really anyone stuck with sealed beams): http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on October 14, 2014, 07:40:06 PM
Eh, true enough. Smaller adjustments have a larger effect at 25 ft, though, and many/most of the headlights I've tried to adjust have been kind of a finicky pain. Seems like you would be less likely to be accurate even if you were careful at 5-10 ft.

Get out your transit, then. You may have to adjust your tire pressures and fuel level, though.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on October 14, 2014, 07:43:11 PM
Are they amber or selective yellow?

BTW, if your "low" beam is so scattered that it might as well be a high beam, then the lamp is pretty terrible quality and you're blinding other drivers.

I think they're selective yellow. Not 100% sure since it's not specified anywhere.

It's not scattered, just the way I aimed them (pretty much dead-ahead). Even aimed that way, they don't seem blinding - less blinding than the white low beams that are aimed correctly. Makes sense, since yellow light isn't as harsh as blue/violet in the white light.

CJ

Get ecodes, Alex.  You'll thank yourself later when you have night vision.

Rupert

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 14, 2014, 07:55:19 PM
I think they're selective yellow. Not 100% sure since it's not specified anywhere.

It's not scattered, just the way I aimed them (pretty much dead-ahead). Even aimed that way, they don't seem blinding - less blinding than the white low beams that are aimed correctly. Makes sense, since yellow light isn't as harsh as blue/violet in the white light.

Well, if they aren't as blinding as the regular lows, then they aren't bright enough!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 14, 2014, 07:42:13 PM

No DOT certified fog light kit is going to be worth a tinker's dam.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator