Tools

Started by VTEC_Inside, May 10, 2005, 08:43:30 PM

VTEC_Inside

Quote^home-made things like that always end up looking like crap, foam is hard to cut cleanly. I'm sure it would fuction just fine though.

I also didn't get any tools for christmas, supprisingly.
I'm pretty sure he was talking about that cushiony foam, that greyish stuff.

I can't imagine it being too hard to make something decent looking from that stuff assuming he can find it.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

footoflead

Quote^home-made things like that always end up looking like crap, foam is hard to cut cleanly. I'm sure it would fuction just fine though.

I also didn't get any tools for christmas, supprisingly.
I'm pretty sure he was talking about that cushiony foam, that greyish stuff.

I can't imagine it being too hard to make something decent looking from that stuff assuming he can find it.
I have thought about that several times...i could do it...i just dont feel like it...i havent decided between some craftsman rails (in case i break them, i've been know to be pretty hard on stuff :lol:  ) or some off of griots website Link
There tools seem to be pretty good...i've bought a few things from them and have been pretty satisfied
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

sparkplug

Sometimes you have to make tools otherwise you be either paying an arms an a leg for a tool that you use once or twice when you can make it and use it once. We have AC/DC welder. Comes in handy for making tools.  

footoflead

QuoteSometimes you have to make tools otherwise you be either paying an arms an a leg for a tool that you use once or twice when you can make it and use it once. We have AC/DC welder. Comes in handy for making tools.
but to do that you need

materials to make them
a welder
knowledge of the tool you need
knowledge how to weld (it cant be that hard though)
etc.

i use my tools mulitple times and usually will only get craftsman or something with a lifetime warrenty because eventually your gonna break a tool...when you do they replace it free with no questions asked...

i know a guy that needed to bend a wrench to tighten a bolt, so he heated it up and bent it and then took it in and got a new one without a question :D
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Run Away

So I've been accepted into Red River College's Automotive Technician course for this fall, with a spot reserved. I just need to pay, and I'm in.

In the package they sent me, they have a page long list of tools I need.
:devil:

So looks like I have some shopping to do.

J86

QuoteSo I've been accepted into Red River College's Automotive Technician course for this fall, with a spot reserved. I just need to pay, and I'm in.

Congrats dude, good luck getting the funds together, I can tell you it's a bastard!

VTEC_Inside

QuoteSo I've been accepted into Red River College's Automotive Technician course for this fall, with a spot reserved. I just need to pay, and I'm in.

Congrats on the acceptance.

Have a look at Snap-on. They have "package" deals. Saves a bunch of money over getting stuff individually. Perhaps you can find one that covers a good deal of what you're going to need.

mazda6er

Sounds fun. B)
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

VTEC_Inside

Thread revival.

Tools purchased in the last week:
- 32mm socket
- ball joint seperator
- set of 4 pry bars

Any guesses as to what I needed those for?

93JC

Socking, separating and prying, respectively.

93JC

I bought an 18mm six-point socket today. Read the whole mess of a story in The Chat Thread.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: 93JC on September 10, 2006, 12:10:41 AM
Socking, separating and prying, respectively.

lol... Axle nut, lower ball joint, cv joint respectively.

Raza

No real tools to speak of.  A good knife, though.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

My tool collection is pretty ecclectic; I started out with a Craftsman set, about 250 someodd pieces.  I have since augmented that with a SnapOn toolbox, snapon 1/2" drive air gun, mac 3/8" drive air gun, craftsman 1/2" electric impact gun, craftsman air ratchets in 1/4" and 3/8" drives, a mac angle die grinder, craftsman cutoff wheel and air hammer, with snapon chisel bit, mac dial indicator set for measuring rotor runout, various drum and rotor micrometers and guages, random screwdrivers, tack pullers, etc. three torque wrenches currently in service, craftsman 1/2" impacts supplementing the normal set which included all sizes in all drives, stethescope, PowerProbe, craftsman DVOM, craftsman chisel and punch set, random scrapers, craftsman prybar set, mac's biggest deadblow soft face mallet for freeing stuck rotors and drums, and also occasional stuck wheels. A mac brake caliper tool, and random other stuff I can't think of.  Oh yeah, tap and die set.  Some more hammers including a 8lbs-er that I call the BFH, and a cheater-bar.  Also a MAP-gas torch for the times when the oxy-acetylene torch is overkill, a face shield, goggles, etc.  And of course the radio a cheapo Sony so I can tune into my XM radio reciever at work.

I hope to get a welder sometime in the near future, a thread restorer kit, a nicer DVOM, more air hammer bits, a better nut extractor set, a set of left-hand drill bits and extractors for broken bolts, SnapOn 3/8" electric impact, and a different toolbox; mine is a tall one, but a low and wide one with a work surface would be better.

S204STi

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on February 28, 2006, 02:48:02 PM
Congrats on the acceptance.

Have a look at Snap-on. They have "package" deals. Saves a bunch of money over getting stuff individually. Perhaps you can find one that covers a good deal of what you're going to need.

The only problem is that you sell your soul to SnapOn at 17% APR and those weekly payments can get to be a bit much when you are making almost no money when you get into the real world.  Trust me, you WILL NOT  make $70,000 a year right out of tech school...lol, I probably will be lucky to have made $20,000 over the past year since school.

Rupert

I got a 13/16 spark plug socket the other day.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SaltyDog

Can anyone recommed a torque wrench and a spak plug gapping guauge?  Also how many lbs should the wrech be able to handle for basic car work?  I've seen one's rated at 2-600lbs.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Eye of the Tiger

I have too many tools to list...
I just recently lost my entire socket wrench set because I left it in the back of my sister's car and it got broken into. So I'm in the market for a new set. I'm considering the Pittsburg brand at from www.harborfreight.com. It's only $99.

My newest tools are a S&K Turbo socket set which I got for $100. They remove just about any rounded or broken nut. These things are totally worth the price.
I also just bought a Cobolt eletric impact wrench at Lowe's.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SaltyDog on September 10, 2006, 02:51:48 PM
Can anyone recommed a torque wrench and a spak plug gapping guauge? Also how many lbs should the wrech be able to handle for basic car work? I've seen one's rated at 2-600lbs.

Try here: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=152&pricetype

I have the one at the top. It's fine for occasoinal use. 20-200 ft-lb
If you use it often, maybe get the S&K wrench. It's listed on there for $79.99

And the spark plug gapper you can pick up at any autoparts store for cheap.

SaltyDog

Quote from: NACar on September 10, 2006, 04:11:32 PM
Try here: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=152&pricetype

I have the one at the top. It's fine for occasoinal use. 20-200 ft-lb
If you use it often, maybe get the S&K wrench. It's listed on there for $79.99

Damn that's by far the cheapest I've seen.  So it's of decent quality?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SaltyDog on September 10, 2006, 04:17:35 PM
Damn that's by far the cheapest I've seen. So it's of decent quality?

Like I said, it's good enough for occasional use. It's not digital or anything, you just turn the handle until it lines up with the desired setting. But it has a lifetime warrenty, so I figure you can't really lose for the price.

Oh and this one looks like it's 10-150 ft-lbs, that's what mine must be. There aren't too many parts on a car that require more that 150, and if you're going under 10 you should be using an inch-lbs wrench anyway.

SaltyDog

Quote from: NACar on September 10, 2006, 04:23:47 PM
Like I said, it's good enough for occasional use. It's not digital or anything, you just turn the handle until it lines up with the desired setting. But it has a lifetime warrenty, so I figure you can't really lose for the price.

Oh and this one looks like it's 10-150 ft-lbs, that's what mine must be. There aren't too many parts on a car that require more that 150, and if you're going under 10 you should be using an inch-lbs wrench anyway.

I appreciate the tip; I'll order it tonight.  And this too: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90733

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SaltyDog on September 10, 2006, 04:25:11 PM
I appreciate the tip; I'll order it tonight. And this too: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90733

Nice, only 99 cents, how can you resist? Harborfreight is great.

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

S204STi

Bought a Mac 7/8" combo wrench; supposedly it will take off a 70% rounded nut, and I could use it for alignments.  Also bought a one-man brake bleeder for all of $10.

Speed_Racer

My small, but slowly growing tool collecition (I also use some of my father's tools, and he'll use mine):

- Channellock Tool Set - All kinds of wrenches, metric and standard rachets, screwdrivers, etc.
- Hydraulic floor jack and jack stands
- Torque wrench (I can't remember the drive)
-

What I'd really like:
- Air compressor, so I could start buying air tools
- A garage. Haha
- A vehicle lift

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Speed_Racer on September 11, 2006, 05:45:05 PM
What I'd really like:
- Air compressor, so I could start buying air tools
- A garage. Haha
- A vehicle lift

Group buy? lol....

I think I could live without the compressor, but a garage and that lift would be nice.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on September 12, 2006, 11:07:33 AM
Group buy? lol....

I think I could live without the compressor, but a garage and that lift would be nice.

Sounds like a good idea. :) It's only $2800 (w/ free shipping) at NorthernTools. Garages are significantly more expensive...haha.

ChrisV

Right now my favorite tool is the 2 1/2+ car garage I'm adding to the house, along with the larger workbench for the bench grinder/drill press/vice/etc. Lot's of lights going in, a power strip along the leading edge of the bench, separate power circuit for the air compressor, and multiple outlets to move the welder around the garage. Now, I want a plasma cutter and a low lift for one of the bays...

Gotta side the rest of the house to match (and get rid of those awful shutters...)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Rupert

That's a big garage...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA