Dies while idling

Started by TBR, October 12, 2008, 01:32:12 PM

S204STi

Leave it idling while you adjust it.  That way you can tell if you are making a change or not, and have an assitant watch the tach to tell you when it hits 750 or so.

TBR

Secret Chimp

Quote from: TBR on October 17, 2008, 11:25:52 PM
just unplugging the ICV.

That was what I was forgetting.
Also having the screw inside of the throttle body is a new one on me...

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

S204STi

Oh, by the way I think Chimp mentioned an electrical connector on the passenger side strut tower... if I can get a pic of it on my schnell fone I'll load it up here.

TBR

Quote from: Secret Chimp on October 18, 2008, 06:03:16 AM
That was what I was forgetting.
Also having the screw inside of the throttle body is a new one on me...

I thought you were telling me that, why else take the intake off? The only screw outside of the throttle body is impossible to get to without some weird screwdriver. Anyway, I drove it around to get it warm and it was idling fine, maybe the ICV just needed to adjust after being cleaned (I didn't drive it very far yesterday), so until it does it again I am not going to worry about it. I am about to go get the oil pressure switch though.

TBR

Oil Pressure Switch- $10
Jackstands- $50
Deep 15/16 socket (I don't have all my tools here)- $7
3/8 to 1/2 adapter- $5
Total- $72

I think I am going to lose money on this, versus just taking it to a mechanic. But, at least I'll have jackstands.

Raza

And the satisfaction of a job well done. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: TBR on October 18, 2008, 02:49:48 PM
Oil Pressure Switch- $10
Jackstands- $50
Deep 15/16 socket (I don't have all my tools here)- $7
3/8 to 1/2 adapter- $5
Total- $72

I think I am going to lose money on this, versus just taking it to a mechanic. But, at least I'll have jackstands.

$50 for jackstands?! I paid $20 for a pair of 3 ton jackstands.

TBR

280Z Turbo

I got mine from a Michigan store that you've probably never heard of. (Meijer) But here are some other ones:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38846

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950159000P

The Pirate

No sense saving money on jackstands.  All the cheap ones I've seen where just that: cheap.  Thin metal, poor welds, etc.  My pair cost around $50 too, but they are definitely high quality.  Four ton weight capacity, which is overkill, but jack stands aren't a place where you want to cheap out.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TBR

Quote from: The Pirate on October 18, 2008, 04:22:47 PM
No sense saving money on jackstands.  All the cheap ones I've seen where just that: cheap.  Thin metal, poor welds, etc.  My pair cost around $50 too, but they are definitely high quality.  Four ton weight capacity, which is overkill, but jack stands aren't a place where you want to cheap out.

With that in mind...I just bought $16 stands from Walmart. The others were actually $40.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: The Pirate on October 18, 2008, 04:22:47 PM

I disagree.

Jackstands are really simple hunks of metal. Spending $30 more for the same thing doesn't get you any more. The $20 ones I got look pretty good. I had some 2 1/4 stands from Sears that had really bad welds, but these are much better.

Some guys go all out and buy 12 ton jack stands, but I don't have that kind of lift height on my jack any way.

The Pirate

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 18, 2008, 05:03:48 PM
I disagree.

Jackstands are really simple hunks of metal. Spending $30 more for the same thing doesn't get you any more. The $20 ones I got look pretty good. I had some 2 1/4 stands from Sears that had really bad welds, but these are much better.

Some guys go all out and buy 12 ton jack stands, but I don't have that kind of lift height on my jack any way.

That's cool, it's your money.  I'm just happier knowing I have some beefy stands keeping the car from landing on my face.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Secret Chimp

Your idle is more likely to go up than down after cleaning is done. Less gunk = more airflow. This is your Physics Saturday.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: The Pirate on October 18, 2008, 05:08:06 PM
That's cool, it's your money.  I'm just happier knowing I have some beefy stands keeping the car from landing on my face.

Oh please...

The jackstands I got are fine. They were the beefiest ones I could find with the lift height I needed. They also happened to be the cheapest.

You sound like the kind of sucker that would spend $1000 on a racing helmet when a $300 performs the same.

You certainly can put a price on safety.

The Pirate

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 18, 2008, 05:10:27 PM
Oh please...

The jackstands I got are fine.

You sound like the kind of sucker that would spend $1000 on a racing helmet when a $300 performs the same.

That's not the case at all, and I'm sure your jack stands are fine..  I get a tiny bit neurotic about being under a car (I've seen a jack stand crack on the seam 5 minutes after I crawled out from under the car).  It's simply that jack stands with a higher weight capacity and thicker metal help put me at ease.  Not a dig on you at all, and that wasn't my intent.

And I know nothing about racing helmets.  If $300 is low end, and $100 is high end, I'd probably spend $600 or so.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: The Pirate on October 18, 2008, 05:14:51 PM
And I know nothing about racing helmets.  If $300 is low end, and $100 is high end, I'd probably spend $600 or so.

You create magick in ye words.

TBR

I get the car up on the jackstands, unscrew the oil filter, find the sensor. Once I get it unplugged, I realize the connector is entirely different from the one on the new sensor. Nonetheless, maybe it'll work anyway so I get the wrench and socket out. Socket's too small. At this point I just plug the sensor back in, screw the filter back on, and take the car off the jackstands. I am not a mechanic, I don't know why I try. Almost every time I try to fix something I end up breaking it more so it costs me twice as much when I eventually break down and take it to the mechanic. So, I am still taking it to a mechanic on Tuesday.

Eye of the Tiger

WHy don't u just get the right part
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TBR

Because I am tired of messing with it when in the end I'll probably just screw it up anyway.