Note: Don't put thumbs where there are sharp objects..

Started by CJ, October 13, 2008, 10:01:29 PM

S204STi

Quote from: Onslaught on October 24, 2008, 10:25:08 PM
Done that one. I try and hold them with a rag now so it won't do that.
No damage to me this week other than a few burns from welding.

I loved the "tan" i used to get on my unprocted skin while welding everyday for a month in tech school.

the Teuton

Quote from: R-inge on October 24, 2008, 01:22:25 PM
:mask:

On a lighter note, today I was removing a blown bulb when it crushed beneath my awesome grip, cutting my thumb.

People don't replace their own bulbs?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

S204STi

Quote from: Secret Chimp on October 25, 2008, 10:04:09 PM
A lot of people can't even do windshield wipers.

I was embarassed for this kid that I had to do that for a few weeks ago.  Even he seemed sheepish about the fact...

hotrodalex

Quote from: R-inge on October 25, 2008, 10:47:41 PM
I was embarassed for this kid that I had to do that for a few weeks ago.  Even he seemed sheepish about the fact...

How old was he?

Cookie Monster

If you can't figure out how to replace the wipers after a minute of looking at them, you shouldn't be driving a car.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Onslaught

Quote from: R-inge on October 25, 2008, 12:11:10 PM
I loved the "tan" i used to get on my unprocted skin while welding everyday for a month in tech school.
My hands are always red. I put a left quarter, taillight pocket, rear body panel and floor pan in an Altima Friday. Hands looked like I was out in the sun all day.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Secret Chimp on October 25, 2008, 10:04:09 PM
A lot of people can't even do windshield wipers.

Hmm... I've never really tried so I think I'm one of those people :mask:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Laconian

Quote from: Onslaught on October 26, 2008, 04:52:44 PM
My hands are always red. I put a left quarter, taillight pocket, rear body panel and floor pan in an Altima Friday. Hands looked like I was out in the sun all day.
O_o

That CAN'T be good for them!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Laconian on October 31, 2008, 10:01:19 AM
O_o

Well at least if he gets skin cancer, he'll be the first to know :P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Onslaught

Quote from: Laconian on October 31, 2008, 10:01:19 AM
O_o

Breathing bondo dust and crawling around on my knees all day are bad for me too. But we all have to die sometime.

Sir_CARzy

I really want to take autotech next year, but its a 2 period ROP class and i ALREADY need to take 6 classes my senior year. (7 is the max). bleh. I wanna cut my thumbs open!  :lockedup: I want half my body's blood squirting all over the goddamn place, lubricating the fricking cylinders and powering the cars, i want to learn how to do things!  :heated:  :rage:

Onslaught

No you don't. If you know how to fix shit then friends,family and friends of friends will want you to "hook them up" all the fucking time.
Because you do this shit for fun.

Soup DeVille

Plus, it kind of sucks to make something you like doing into your living.

I know that sounds stupid, but hear me out.

You eventually start to despise your job. I mean nobody can do anything 40-50 hours a week five days a week year in and year out and not get sick of it.

So now, what used to be the thing you did to kick back and shift focus is the exact thing you want to get away from. Now what do you do to relax?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

:hesaid:

10 years ago I was like many of you guys. I could tell you what every car was and the engine size and what have you. My head was full of auto knowledge.  Now I don't give a shit anymore.

Byteme

Quote from: Onslaught on November 07, 2008, 06:34:43 AM
:hesaid:

10 years ago I was like many of you guys. I could tell you what every car was and the engine size and what have you. My head was full of auto knowledge.  Now I don't give a shit anymore.

In some cases I still can.  I need only glance at a car from the 60's as I drive by and I can tell you make, model, and likely engine.  And I will then bore my wife by pointing out the petty differences between that year's model and the the next or previous year's.  Pretty much any mainstream car from about 1990 on, excepting Mustangs Corvettes and the like, all look pretty much alike to me, and like Onslaught, I don't really get excited about them.

S204STi

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 06, 2008, 11:21:04 PM
Plus, it kind of sucks to make something you like doing into your living.

I know that sounds stupid, but hear me out.

You eventually start to despise your job. I mean nobody can do anything 40-50 hours a week five days a week year in and year out and not get sick of it.

So now, what used to be the thing you did to kick back and shift focus is the exact thing you want to get away from. Now what do you do to relax?

You and Onslaught are exactly freakin' right.

S204STi

Quote from: Byteme on November 07, 2008, 07:00:52 AM
In some cases I still can.  I need only glance at a car from the 60's as I drive by and I can tell you make, model, and likely engine.  And I will then bore my wife by pointing out the petty differences between that year's model and the the next or previous year's.  Pretty much any mainstream car from about 1990 on, excepting Mustangs Corvettes and the like, all look pretty much alike to me, and like Onslaught, I don't really get excited about them.

haha, I do the same thing with my wife...she usually just ignores me till I shut up.

Byteme

Quote from: R-inge on November 07, 2008, 08:19:05 AM
haha, I do the same thing with my wife...she usually just ignores me till I shut up.

Regardless of how old we are I think we all probably are most familiar with the cars that were new when we were just discovering cars in our teens and early 20's.

That probably explains why some of the younger guys here get excited about minivans and Camry's and Accords; cars I couldn't care less about.

Like I said, my wife gets bored when I start waxing nostalgic about something from the 60's.  But ask her about the Buick Wildcat or VW convertible she had in high school and she will talk your ear off.

Morris Minor

My head is crammed with detailed & mostly useless knowledge of cars from my youth.

When I was very young, somebody gave me the "Ladybird Book of How Cars Work"  or somesuch. It had very simple pictures and descriptions of the basics of IC engines, brakes clutches etc. I was totally hooked. I used to help my dad maintain his car and bloodied up my hands accordingly.

As I have got older I have got less ambitious and have the means to  pay others to do the work for me. This applies to car maintenance and projects around the house.

My nerdiness and obsessive desire to make things work better and faster has translated into a career in computer networking.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

TBR

Quote from: thecarnut on October 26, 2008, 11:17:01 AM
If you can't figure out how to replace the wipers after a minute of looking at them, you shouldn't be driving a car.

:(

I figured it out eventually though. On things like that the instructions end up doing more harm than help, I think that was my problem.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: R-inge on November 07, 2008, 08:19:05 AM

My wife does the same thing too, unless its an early '70s Mopar.

Then she'll tell me where I'm wrong.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

Quote from: Byteme on November 07, 2008, 07:00:52 AM
I still know all the RX-7 and RX-8 info and MX-5 stuff. But some of it gets a little fuzzy sometimes.
Other than that I just deleted all the other stuff. My hard drive in my head is small and full
of Star Trek stuff anyway.

TBR

S204STi

Quote from: TBR on November 07, 2008, 04:11:00 PM
18, but I can install my own windshield wiper blades.

24, and I can install my own clutch[insert major mechanical part here].   :evildude:

S204STi

Anyway, I would define college age as 18-21, but I realize that some folks might consider me college age as well. ;)

Plus, I say that knowing that I was completely worthless at that age too.