The Motor Trend SUVOTY is....

Started by ifcar, October 16, 2008, 07:33:49 AM

The Pirate

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 22, 2008, 05:22:51 PM
Dude.  This is what you really want:

Absolutely.  But I can't afford to buy one, and I can't afford to keep fuel in one, so...

Well, I suppose if I gave up my apartment and lived in the van, I could swing it.  I think it'd be worth it.  :lol:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

Man, there are a lof of uses for Farley!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

TBR

Down at the river in a van (or something to that extent, never saw the movie but my old boss used to say it all the time for no apparent reason).

Rupert

I live in a Van! Down by the RIVER!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

The Pirate

And I live on a steady supply of government cheese!

Back to your regularly scheduled topic now, folks.  Perhaps this tangent is better served in the Hotel Honda thread.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

USA_Idol

Back on topic:

I haven't driven the Forester SUV.  But now that it is a SUV of the Year......I'm kind-of interested to see what the hub-bub is about.    :lol:

Rupert

Quote from: USA_Idol on October 23, 2008, 12:00:40 AM
Back on topic:

I haven't driven the Forester SUV.  But now that it is a SUV of the Year......I'm kind-of interested to see what the hub-bub is about.    :lol:

:lockedup:  :evildude:

the Teuton

Quote from: USA_Idol on October 23, 2008, 12:00:40 AM
Back on topic:

Oh wait, I bet you're waiting for the 2008 Motor Trend Foreign Car of the Year to come out, too.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

USA_Idol

Quote from: the Teuton on October 23, 2008, 09:15:12 AM
Oh wait, I bet you're waiting for the 2008 Motor Trend Foreign Car of the Year to come out, too.

No, but I am waiting for the Sport Utility Sedan, Sport Utility Coupe and Sport Utility Convertibles of the year to be announced.   :evildude:

the Teuton

Quote from: USA_Idol on October 23, 2008, 11:04:20 AM
No, but I am waiting for the Sport Utility Sedan, Sport Utility Coupe and Sport Utility Convertibles of the year to be announced.   :evildude:

Sedan competitors:

Coupe:

Convertible...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

I don't think they make the Outback sedan any more.

USA_Idol

I believe the SUS is discontinued.  But I'm not sure.   :huh:

ifcar

They dropped the Outback sedan and Legacy wagon, at least in the US, after 2007.

the Teuton

USA_Idol

Chrysler needs to bring the original sport utility wagon back...the classic AMC Eagle.   :lol:

Atomic

Quote from: TBR on October 21, 2008, 01:08:15 PM
Why?

easy. i checked out the forrester and dodge ram closely while car shopping with relatives and friends. the subaru is nice, but average amongst so many other similar vehicles. you may think the same about the 2009 dodge pick-up, but WOW! the interior is so much better than it's predecessor and all other trucks on the market today (imo). it also has sweet new features inside and out. better mpg. an awesome ride. tight. best quality of any recent chrysler.

TBR

Quote from: Atomic on October 25, 2008, 07:28:35 PM
easy. i checked out the forrester and dodge ram closely while car shopping with relatives and friends. the subaru is nice, but average amongst so many other similar vehicles. you may think the same about the 2009 dodge pick-up, but WOW! the interior is so much better than it's predecessor and all other trucks on the market today (imo). it also has sweet new features inside and out. better mpg. an awesome ride. tight. best quality of any recent chrysler.

The Ram isn't a SUV  :ohyeah:

Don't forget that the F-150 is all new too, either it or the Ram is a shoe in for truck of the year. From what I have seen so far I do prefer the Ram, in fact I entered to win one on NBC.com so I am crossing my fingers (of course if I do I'd drive it for a couple of weeks, sell it and my current car, buy something slightly nicer than what I have for far less than I get for the Ram, and then put the rest towards my tuition, not that I have thought about this...).

crv16

We've had our 2009 Forester for a couple months now.  I consider it more of a station wagon than a SUV, but whatever...

Anyway, it's a pretty decent vehicle.  The interior space is awesome - great leg and headroom front and rear.  It handles pretty well, and is getting decent fuel economy - about 25mpg average so far.

I put a hitch on it a while ago, and was startled to find it tows better than our old Honda Pilot.

Haven't had an opportunity to test out the AWD yet, but snow is coming soon.

My only gripes are about the seat.  The seat bottom is too short and does not offer adjustment to tilt up the seat front enough for my satisfaction.  The seat heater controls are in a bad location too.

Other than that - I find it to be an outstanding value.  We paid a little over 21 grand for a pretty well equipped model.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

TBR

You switch cars really frequently.