US will not get a next-gen Pontiac G8

Started by ifcar, October 23, 2008, 08:11:58 AM

ifcar

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=134167

QuoteDETROIT ? After acknowledging that there will be no replacement for the Solstice roadster, Pontiac looks like it will lose a little more excitement when the rear-wheel-drive G8 sedan goes out of production in about five years' time.

According to sources, Pontiac will not get a version of the next rear-drive platform that underpins the Australian Holden Commodore. This move is indicative of a fundamental switch in direction for Pontiac, the General Motors division that just a few years ago was envisioned by Bob Lutz to be the American BMW. The deaths of the Solstice and the eventual discontinuation of the next-generation G8 will leave Pontiac with zero rear-wheel-drive vehicles.

Pontiac already sells the G5, a Chevrolet Cobalt with the ol' excitement treatment and soon will begin selling a version of the subcompact Chevrolet Aveo called the G3. Not exactly sporting propositions, those.

Limited corporate resources and fear of rising fuel-economy standards look to be the prime drivers in the return of Pontiac to the badge-engineering days. Those limited funds might also explain why the midsize G6 sedan won't be substantially updated (to match the level of refinement of the recently revamped Chevy Malibu) for about another five years.

Inside Line says: You've still got plenty of time to pick up your very own G8 ? the high-horsepower GXP and the quasi-pickup-truck ST versions are still to be introduced. But you don't have forever.

GoCougs

The G8 has also been a sales disaster.

And the G6 rides it out for another five years?!

GM so wants to kill this brand, buy union contracts up and down the supply chain make it impossible.

2o6

I guess Pontiac WILL bite the dust.

Also, I haven't seen a single AD for the G8. Chances are, that no one knows about it, and yet again, GM overestimated production.

SVT666

There is only one other person in my office that has even heard of the G8.  That says a lot.

the Teuton

This is why people hate GM. 

Kill Pontiac.  The brand has apparently outlived its purpose.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

I'd love the opportunity to pick up a cheap used GXP in 4 years

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on October 23, 2008, 09:08:56 AM

Pontiac still is a strong seller in the GM fold, and killing a brand costs too much money. (Money GM doesn't have at the moment)

FlatBlackCaddy

yet another thing GM gives up on when it doesn't light the world on fire or send the competition into a panic.

Sure the G8 sells poorly, they don't advertise it, they treat it like a golden goose(initial markups, no test drives) and overcharge for what is a crappy product in many ways.

While most(successful) automotive companies would hold on and continue to improve the product until it is at the top of its game(and top of its class), gm just throws in the towel and gives up.

They are just showing everyone what a sorry shit filled sack of loser they really are. Pick an plan and stick with it damnit.

Vinsanity

Or, while they're busy re-badging, they might as well keep the G8 around, put a Chevy grille on it and call it the next Impala.

giant_mtb

What a brash decision.  Does GM expect every brand new model they put out to sell like marijuana?  It seems like as soon as they don't sell as many as they planned it's back to "oh, well, kill it off and come up with a new plan".

Why don't they just fucking improve what they have instead of coming up with new shit all the time?  I'm talking all of GM, not just Pontiac.  Seriously.  They're going to fail.

the Teuton

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 23, 2008, 11:40:55 AM
Or, while they're busy re-badging, they might as well keep the G8 around, put a Chevy grille on it and call it the next Impala.

It isn't like they don't do that already, either.

GM is cutting a bunch of white collar jobs as of today.  I hope some of them are in their brand management departments. 
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

There have been numerous times where GM does something amazing, and it's engineers and designers that do it. The stunts that really piss me off can always be linked to MARKETING and their damn focus groups!

They need to take a gamble by firing the marketers and promote the engineers. They'll succeed brilliantly or go down in a blaze of glory, but at least doing SOMETHING radical is better than maintaining this fatal malaise they are stuck in.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on October 23, 2008, 08:27:25 AM
The G8 has also been a sales disaster.

And the G6 rides it out for another five years?!

GM so wants to kill this brand, buy union contracts up and down the supply chain make it impossible.

Its not the union contracts: its the dealership contracts. There are no "Pontiac" employees at GM anymore, and there haven't been for almost two decades. The lineworkers that make the G6 formerly made Buick Lesabres and Park Avenues, and before that they made Cadillacs.

The dealers however have contracts tying themselve to a particular brand, and buying out those contracts are a huge cost: as it was when they killed Oldsmobile.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AltinD

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 23, 2008, 11:40:55 AM

The car has been sold for ages as Chevrolet Lumina in the Middle East and some other Asian markets.

http://www.chevroletarabia.com/content_data/LAAM/ME/en/GBPME/001/G1/1L/1L_home.html?cntryCd=AE&pdcmp=google_Chevrolet+Model+Retention_chevrolet+lumina

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Vinsanity

It's not a real Lumina without the spoiler/luggage rack combo

the Teuton

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 23, 2008, 04:12:09 PM
It's not a real Lumina without the spoiler/luggage rack combo

It has half of that going for it.

I agree with Laconian.  GM needs to seriously restructure and have each company act as seperate entities.  Screw economies of scale; if the brands can't turn a profit individually, they should be cut.

Eye of the Tiger

Can Chevy just keep the B8 platform and replace the currently stupid Impala, or make a Caprice or an El Camino plz? I'm just assuming here, but I think the G8 platform is probably much better than the currently stupid Impala. I have driven a new stupid Impala, and it drove quite stupidly.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on October 23, 2008, 04:36:54 PM
Can Chevy just keep the B8 platform and replace the currently stupid Impala, or make a Caprice or an El Camino plz? I'm just assuming here, but I think the G8 platform is probably much better than the currently stupid Impala. I have driven a new stupid Impala, and it drove quite stupidly.

I drove a W-platform LaCrosse, and I loved it.  My family rented a 2007 Grand Prix last year and absolutely hated it.  Those cars seem to be rather across the board.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on October 23, 2008, 04:44:01 PM
I drove a W-platform LaCrosse, and I loved it.  My family rented a 2007 Grand Prix last year and absolutely hated it.  Those cars seem to be rather across the board.

It is a perfectly average boring family sedan, and even has a little pep in the motor, but it is ruined by totally numb, no sense of direction steering, and a transmission that had no idea WTF was going on. It's positively stupid that a brand new Chevy Impala can't even measure up to a beater Jetta or an old Volvo in such basic departments.

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on October 23, 2008, 04:47:40 PM
It is a perfectly average boring family sedan, and even has a little pep in the motor, but it is ruined by totally numb, no sense of direction steering, and a transmission that had no idea WTF was going on. It's positively stupid that a brand new Chevy Impala can't even measure up to a beater Jetta or an old Volvo in such basic departments.

I sorta disagree with you.  My bro's Accord is much more refined, quieter, and it rides better, but the automatic in the Honda is one of the worst I've ever experienced.  I'd say the Hydramatic is one of the best out there.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on October 23, 2008, 04:52:08 PM
I sorta disagree with you.  My bro's Accord is much more refined, quieter, and it rides better, but the automatic in the Honda is one of the worst I've ever experienced.  I'd say the Hydramatic is one of the best out there.

How are Hondamatics so bad? I've never driven an auto Honda, but I've driven good automatics and bad automatics. The Impala is a BAD one, not because of shift quality, but because the the gears and lockup torque converter seem to operate completely independantly, and throttle position has no influce over it unless you just mash it to the floor. It has dain bramage.

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on October 23, 2008, 04:57:16 PM
How are Hondamatics so bad? I've never driven an auto Honda, but I've driven good automatics and bad automatics. The Impala is a BAD one, not because of shift quality, but because the the gears and lockup torque converter seem to operate completely independantly, and throttle position has no influce over it unless you just mash it to the floor. It has dain bramage.

The shift quality is terrible and the thing is all too willing to kick down to a lower gear.  The latter isn't necessarily bad, but the VTAK V6 can handle the situation with its abundant toarks.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on October 23, 2008, 05:02:57 PM
The shift quality is terrible and the thing is all too willing to kick down to a lower gear.  The latter isn't necessarily bad, but the VTAK V6 can handle the situation with its abundant toarks.

If by shift quality is terrible, you mean it has good firm, solid shifts, then ok. If by all too willing to kick down to a lower gear, you mean it actually responds with a downshift when you press the gas, then ok. I've ridden in Hondamatics, and I thought they were good ones. What do you look for in an automatic? I like firm shifts so I know what it's doing, and I like consistent, linear response to throttle input. For me, that means most electronically controlled units just end up pissing me off. I love the Volvo's olde-tyme hydraulic and mechanical brain. It is consistent and predictible, and I can adjust the kickdown cable to my liking. No stupid electronics.

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on October 23, 2008, 05:07:02 PM
If by shift quality is terrible, you mean it has good firm, solid shifts, then ok. If by all too willing to kick down to a lower gear, you mean it actually responds with a downshift when you press the gas, then ok. I've ridden in Hondamatics, and I thought they were good ones. What do you look for in an automatic? I like firm shifts so I know what it's doing, and I like consistent, linear response to throttle input. For me, that means most electronically controlled units just end up pissing me off. I love the Volvo's olde-tyme hydraulic and mechanical brain. It is consistent and predictible, and I can adjust the kickdown cable to my liking. No stupid electronics.

I shall continue this later, but I mean that it feels as if someone let out a clutch too quickly...if an automatic car had a clutch.  It's kinda jerky in the 1-2 shifts.  Ask Rags.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on October 23, 2008, 05:09:11 PM
I shall continue this later, but I mean that it feels as if someone let out a clutch too quickly...if an automatic car had a clutch.  It's kinda jerky in the 1-2 shifts.  Ask Rags.

Ok, I know exactly what you mean, and I don't think that makes it a bad transmission. Actually, I prefer it like that.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: the Teuton on October 23, 2008, 05:09:11 PM
1-2 shifts are terrible in the Honda autos (with V6's at least), and I've found that the car doesn't want to downshift when I want it to. A car that does want to downshift is more preferable to one that keeps it in a higher gear and doesn't let you accelerate.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

CJ

Our Honda auto is just fine.  Yes, it's practically new, but it's fine.  No jerky shifts.

USA_Idol

Quote from: the Teuton on October 23, 2008, 09:08:56 AM

Add Buick and GMC to that statement.  And GM needs to sell off HUMMER and Saab.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: the Teuton on October 23, 2008, 05:02:57 PM
The shift quality is terrible and the thing is all too willing to kick down to a lower gear.

I've floored a Civic and it still didn't upshift.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

omicron

Limited corporate resources? The expense of slapping red arrow badges and a new grille on Commodores must be higher than I thought.