2 (7.7%)
2004 Dodge Dakota with a canopy  
0 (0%)
2004/2005 Nissan Xterra
11 (42.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

SVT666

Quote from: The Pirate on November 06, 2008, 06:15:46 PM
Interesting.  I never thought about it, but that all makes sense.

Though, in reply to your statement on the SC version not having a stick, I have to say  :orly:

I'm sure it was rare, but they are out there.  Check the pics here - I see a supercharger and a manual tranny.

I just found a supercharged Xterra with a stick in Washington State. 

GoCougs

Uh, I'd do a lot of research on the first gen (2000-2004) Xterra. Those were some cheapo vehicles. The Interior rivals that of a Wrangler. The 2005+ are vastly superior vehicles, but it will still feel like an econo box compared to the others on your list.

Of that list, I'd go with the 2005+ Xterra. However, ideally, I'd opt for the 4Runner. Most any used vehicle can be bargained down 15-20% relatively easily - theoretically putting your "as-listed" price range at about $20k.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on November 09, 2008, 08:10:58 PM
Uh, I'd do a lot of research on the first gen (2000-2004) Xterra. Those were some cheapo vehicles. The Interior rivals that of a Wrangler. The 2005+ are vastly superior vehicles, but it will still feel like an econo box compared to the others on your list.

Of that list, I'd go with the 2005+ Xterra. However, ideally, I'd opt for the 4Runner. Most any used vehicle can be bargained down 15-20% relatively easily - theoretically putting your "as-listed" price range at about $20k.

After I pay the taxes, I don't want it to exceed $15K.  My experience in dealing with used cars is that there is not as much room to move as you suggest.  Usually it's about 10%. 

We looked through the windows of an 05+ Xterra in the grocery store parking lot today and my wife knocked it off the list.  She said she wants more luxury then it provides.  She really loves the Explorer and doesn't mind the Jeep, and she doesn't want a Trailblazer because my parents and my sister both have one.  So it's down between the Explorer and the Jeep, though she really likes the Explorer.

By the time we're ready to buy, the more luxury oriented 2006 Explorer will be in our price range and that will make her really happy.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on November 10, 2008, 12:05:56 AM
Going to shop in the US again?
I think so.  I found several 2006 Explorer XLT's in Seattle and Spokane that are in the $16K (CDN) range, and by the time we are ready to buy, the '06's will be most likely fit in my budget.  Up here, I have to go to 2004 and high mileage to get those prices.

SVT_Power

With our 03 explorer:

Mechanically, our's has been completely trouble free (or maybe I'm just forgetting minor things)
We've had some electrical issues around the 100k miles mark, but everything seems fine now.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT666

Quote from: M_power on November 10, 2008, 11:01:13 AM
With our 03 explorer:

Mechanically, our's has been completely trouble free (or maybe I'm just forgetting minor things)
We've had some electrical issues around the 100k miles mark, but everything seems fine now.
My parents had a 1992 Explorer that was in the shop all the time...then I totaled it.  Then they bought a 1994 model and it was trouble free for the 5 years they had it.

Tave

I hate early 90s Ford trucks with a passion. The seating/pedal position is agonizing for me; it's like torture. The next generation was,...meh. I don't have any experience with the latest two.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT_Power

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 10, 2008, 11:13:18 AM
My parents had a 1992 Explorer that was in the shop all the time...then I totaled it.  Then they bought a 1994 model and it was trouble free for the 5 years they had it.

was that the one you rolled going too fast?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT666

Quote from: M_power on November 10, 2008, 11:49:13 AM
was that the one you rolled going too fast?
It was more then just speed, but yeah.  I was doing 100 km/h on a logging road and I went off the corner.

r0tor

Not a big fan of any really.  Our trailblazer at work sucks (although it it leaps ahead of our older Blazer).  I hated the last Xterra I was in because it felt horrendously cheap inside.  Never been a fan of the 4 door trucks as they don't have any room and your driving a land yacht on top of it or you just dont have a usable bed of significant length.

So it was down to the Explorer and GC.... I'll take the Jeep here
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT_Power

GC seats = extremely soft and cushy to the point of discomfort.

when we were shopping around it was down to the explorer and the GC. I told my parents not the GC because I simply wouldn't be able to ride around in it without back pains.

(Last time I was in a limo I sat on the middle part of the bench where it was firmer because my back couldn't take the softness of the actual seat)

SVT666

Quote from: M_power on November 11, 2008, 07:01:17 PM
GC seats = extremely soft and cushy to the point of discomfort.

when we were shopping around it was down to the explorer and the GC. I told my parents not the GC because I simply wouldn't be able to ride around in it without back pains.

(Last time I was in a limo I sat on the middle part of the bench where it was firmer because my back couldn't take the softness of the actual seat)
Now that you mention it, I remember that being an issue int he last Grand Cherokee I rode in.  The seats were too soft.

Atomic

i know a lot of jeep grand cherokee owners. they all seem to love them. however, if you want something rugged over posh, nissan is the way to go. the nissan gets worse mpg than i would have ever guessed. two buddies drive them. i know a lot of outdoorsy people!

SVT666

Quote from: Atomic on November 12, 2008, 04:26:39 PM
i know a lot of jeep grand cherokee owners. they all seem to love them. however, if you want something rugged over posh, nissan is the way to go. the nissan gets worse mpg than i would have ever guessed. two buddies drive them. i know a lot of outdoorsy people!
Then you would know that they hate the word outdoorsy. :ohyeah:

the Teuton

Would a Pathfinder fit under your price cap?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: the Teuton on November 12, 2008, 05:15:29 PM

I was about to mention that too.  I did a UCC on one today, and 05 model. If you get the ones with the high end stereo and 4wd system with selectable "auto" mode it's a pretty impressive machine.  Maybe a bit costly though for the content, but the powertrain is awesome.  396ft/lbs from that 4.0L VQ motor, and a 5spd auto.

hotrodalex

If it's down to the Explorer or GC, get an Explorer.

Onslaught

Quote from: the Teuton on November 12, 2008, 05:15:29 PM
I know two people who have them and they just keep going and going. And these guys probably don't even change the oil but once a year they are so bad with cars.
I don't know how much one would cost however. I've never looked into any SUV before.

Raza

1990s Range Rovers are really cheap nowadays.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

the Teuton

Quote from: Onslaught on November 15, 2008, 01:32:09 PM
I know two people who have them and they just keep going and going. And these guys probably don't even change the oil but once a year they are so bad with cars.
I don't know how much one would cost however. I've never looked into any SUV before.

This is why I suggest them.  Other than the early-1990s ones, I have a soft spot for the damn things right up there with the 4Runner.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=16318.msg923417#msg923417 date=1226782241
1990s Range Rovers are really cheap nowadays.
We don't want anything older then a 2005, and I'm not interested in the maintenance costs that Range Rovers demand. 

As for the Pathfinder, I would be interested in a 2005+ model, but they command much higher prices then the Explorer or Grand Cherokee.