Ford junker help

Started by crv16, November 10, 2008, 09:27:11 AM

crv16

Picked up a $800 beater for my daughter, who is *still* learning how to drive.

It's a '96 Mercury Grand Marquis with 155k on the clock.  Overall, it's in pretty good shape.  It needs some work, like new tires, shocks, tranny flush, oil change, and replace about a half-dozen burnt out bulbs.  All this is in progress.  I've got a service manual on order.

The only disconcerting thing I noticed is that one of the front steel brake lines is pretty rusty.  Nothing is leaking, but I'd like to replace this *before* it becomes a problem.

According to the dealer, you can't buy preformed brake lines for this car.  I want to order some brake line tools, like the tubing cutter, flaring tool and line bender.  Does anyone know what type of flaring tool to get?  I see that there are different types (single and double flare), and different angle flaring tools.

09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

Danish

Quote from: crv16 on November 10, 2008, 09:27:11 AM
According to the dealer, you can't buy preformed brake lines for this car.

:confused:

Did you ask another dealer?
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

S204STi

Quote from: Danish on November 10, 2008, 09:31:41 AM
:confused:

Did you ask another dealer?

This is very common, believe it or not.

crv, you need a brake line flaring tool kit.  It will give you the correct flare and will allow you to easily cut and lines.  You may want new fittings unless the old ones are in good shape.  I would just reuse them if that's the case.

J86

just an fyi- you dont have to buy the tools.  I redid teh brake lines on my Honda last winter and rented what i needed from autozone.

crv16

Ahh- good to know.  We're talking about $100 in tools.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

S204STi

Make sure the kit includes a tubing bender.  If you kink the line you're screwed.

Also, be prepared for epic frustration.  I hate doing brake lines with a passion, and I even get paid when I do them.

J86

Quote from: R-inge on November 10, 2008, 01:31:31 PM
Make sure the kit includes a tubing bender.  If you kink the line you're screwed.

Also, be prepared for epic frustration.  I hate doing brake lines with a passion, and I even get paid when I do them.

I vowed never again to do brake lines, ever.  To pay someone to due mine would have cost more than the car was worth so I did them myself...never again.  crv16- it sucks!  BTW, have fun figuring out of your standard, double, or bubble flare, or what your thread fittings are.  Good luck!